Runners Knee

Options
Could you share any personal stories to make me feel better that I will be back to running soon? So I am a newbie to running and after like almost 2 weeks of running 6days out of 7 my right knee started hurting. How long will this last and do I have to keep resting and will this get better soon? I’m eager to get back to running. This is the second day of rest and feels somewhat better but still aches. Thanks and Blessings to you all

Replies

• MattHilburn
    MattHilburn Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    Things I have done.
    Buy a compression sleeve helped some what
    Ice knees after ever run
    Lay on the floor with legs up in the air against a wall.
    Buy GOODrunning shoes
    Run every other day.

Everyone is different have to find what your body responds to.
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,249 Member
    Options
    mada2u1984 wrote: »
    Could you share any personal stories to make me feel better that I will be back to running soon? So I am a newbie to running and after like almost 2 weeks of running 6days out of 7 my right knee started hurting. How long will this last and do I have to keep resting and will this get better soon? I’m eager to get back to running. This is the second day of rest and feels somewhat better but still aches. Thanks and Blessings to you all

Too much, too soon and probably too fast. Something I think every runner is guilty of at some point (we're often victims of our own enthusiasm).

When new to running you should not, generally, speaking, be running on consecutive days. There are a lot of physiological adaptations going on and recovery days are part of the process (you can still exercise on recovery days, just go for something low impact and reduced intensity).

Hard to say how long you should rest at this point, play it by ear and when you start back go slow & short to make sure that you don't re-injure yourself.

Good luck!

• Jthanmyfitnesspal
    Jthanmyfitnesspal Posts: 3,521 Member
    Options
    I started in 2016 and had any number of aches and pains, including knee pain that lasted for about a year.

I worked with a PT, who advised adding stationary bike to my schedule. This really helped.

I did not stop running, but kept the daily and weekly mileage fairly low. I wrapped my knee in an ice pack after every run and at the end of every day even if I didn't run. I took ibuprofen when needed. I rolled my IT bands.

Eventually, it went away!

Best of luck!
  • mada2u1984
    mada2u1984 Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    Thank you all so much for your advice and help. Will definitely make necessary adjustments and will not give up. Blessings on your own fitness journeys
  • TealTaryn
    TealTaryn Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I've suffered with runners knee so many times and it's such a pain in the butt! Try using a foam roller on the outside of your leg, from your hip bone to your knee. Also try the pigeon stretch, ice your knee too! Hope it eases up soon
  • Hollis100
    Hollis100 Posts: 1,408 Member
    Options
    The advice a more experienced runner gave me:
    When you are starting out, do not run every day. Try every other day, or several times a week -- but not two days in a row. Also, don't run the downhills at first. That causes more impact on your body.
    Make sure you have good shoes.

Right now, I would see a doctor, preferably an orthopedic doctor, to make sure you don't have a more serious injury. A doctor diagnosed me with runner's knee months ago. It took me about 5 weeks to get over it. He gave me exercises to strengthen the muscles around the knee. I also kept my knee elevated and iced when I was at home.
  • jude100
    jude100 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Most importantly, listen to your body. I didn’t, and ended up with severe bone bruising, two tears and a bakers cyst.
    1. Don’t overtrain. Rest is as important as training.
    2. Don’t increase training volume by more that 10% at a time.
    3. Ensure you’re wearing the right trainers- gait analysis might be beneficial.
    4. Do strengthening exercises at home for your knee stabilisation muscles
    5. Having your posture analysed by a good osteopath if it continues may be good. Mine signposted me to getting my issues diagnosed 100% quicker than a GP would have.
    6. Glucosamine supplements
    7. Cross train in order to work a range of muscles and reduce repetitious movements.
    Good luck!
  • Talan79
    Talan79 Posts: 782 Member
    Options
    Like the above person mentioned, strength training is what helped me. I went to physical therapy a few years ago bc I had knee pain when running just 2 miles. After a few sessions I got into weigh training and that has helped. Once I strengthened the muscles surrounding the knee, my knees stopped hurting. I can run longer (5-6 miles) without any pain. Good luck!
  • mada2u1984
    Options
    jude100 wrote: »
    Most importantly, listen to your body. I didn’t, and ended up with severe bone bruising, two tears and a bakers cyst.
    1. Don’t overtrain. Rest is as important as training.
    2. Don’t increase training volume by more that 10% at a time.
    3. Ensure you’re wearing the right trainers- gait analysis might be beneficial.
    4. Do strengthening exercises at home for your knee stabilisation muscles
    5. Having your posture analysed by a good osteopath if it continues may be good. Mine signposted me to getting my issues diagnosed 100% quicker than a GP would have.
    6. Glucosamine supplements
    7. Cross train in order to work a range of muscles and reduce repetitious movements.
    Good luck!
    Thank you very much! Great tips
  • dooger898
    dooger898 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I've had it before a few times, mostly after injuries that take me out for a while. I usually wear a compression sleeve, stretch good before and after, and alternate running, eliptical, and bike. After my body gets used to what im trying to do again im usually good to go. I dont think that there is an exact science to keeping it from happening but proper preperation has lowered it for me, especially the stretching. I did a little research and got ahold of a kinesiologist (SP?) friend to get some good stretches. Best of luck. Its not a fun thing to deal with.
  • mada2u1984
    Options
    dooger898 wrote: »
    I've had it before a few times, mostly after injuries that take me out for a while. I usually wear a compression sleeve, stretch good before and after, and alternate running, eliptical, and bike. After my body gets used to what im trying to do again im usually good to go. I dont think that there is an exact science to keeping it from happening but proper preperation has lowered it for me, especially the stretching. I did a little research and got ahold of a kinesiologist (SP?) friend to get some good stretches. Best of luck. Its not a fun thing to deal with.
    Thanks so much