What prompts a friend request

Options

Replies

• ythannah
    ythannah Posts: 4,365 Member
    Options
    cowsfan12 wrote: »
    What prompts you to send a friend request to someone ?

Is it just their profile pic ? Maybe you find them attractive? Maybe you hope to get all the newds??

Do you see them post on mutual friends walls?

Have you bantered back and forth with them in the forums and thus feel they would be cool to know on a more personal level?

Do you just Russian roulette it and start picking ppl randomly ?

Just a random thought - got me thinking - some folks have over 100-200 friends some have smaller 10-50 -

Ima 10-50 kinda guy myself - and generally only send a request if I’ve had interaction via the forums or mutual friends walls.

None of the above.

99% of the friend requests I've sent have been to another female lifter, usually middle-aged ones but some younger ladies too.

Once in a while it's been another woman I've interacted with for a while in the forums.

Note the common thread here. I've never FRd a male.
  • cowsfan12
    cowsfan12 Posts: 6,042 Member
    Options
    ythannah wrote: »

Is it just their profile pic ? Maybe you find them attractive? Maybe you hope to get all the newds??

Have you bantered back and forth with them in the forums and thus feel they would be cool to know on a more personal level?

Just a random thought - got me thinking - some folks have over 100-200 friends some have smaller 10-50 -

Ima 10-50 kinda guy myself - and generally only send a request if I’ve had interaction via the forums or mutual friends walls.

None of the above.

99% of the friend requests I've sent have been to another female lifter, usually middle-aged ones but some younger ladies too.

Once in a while it's been another woman I've interacted with for a while in the forums.

Do accept fr from males??
  • ythannah
    ythannah Posts: 4,365 Member
    Options
    ythannah wrote: »

None of the above.

Do accept fr from males??

Yes, I have. I don't get many though! I think the lack of a profile pic isn't much of an incentive. The only ones I've received made some reference to a post of mine so they've run across me in the forums.

I've also accepted friend requests from women who don't necessarily fall into any of the categories that prompt me to initiate a request. I just don't think to FR someone whose fitness goals aren't really closely aligned with mine.
  • ReenieHJ
    ReenieHJ Posts: 9,724 Member
    Options
    I don't send requests.

But do you accept them?? Also are you a mt dew fan - I feel like you are ??
    I only exist in the forums.

Same here. I accepted several FR in the beginning but then realized I spend all my time on MFP, right here in the forums and never really supported anybody on my friends list. :( So I deleted them all. Then I accepted a couple more later on that I was interested in watching their journey but they never interacted with me, so I deleted those too. Now I have 4 FR sitting in my notices but haven't accepted them, probably won't. :( I just don't have the time. I already spend way too much time on the computer which does zero to help my fitness plan. :/ Very counter-productive.
  • Legs_McGee23
    Legs_McGee23 Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    Most of the friend requests I've sent have been to friends of friends - if I like their comments on mutual friends' posts. I like funny people. Or if someone says something that catches my interest in the forums: whether it's because we have stuff in common, similar goals, or they seem very entertaining. And I check out profiles and pictures.
  • Soon2BSuper
    Soon2BSuper Posts: 1,767 Member
    Options
    I get more FRs from people interested in my fitness journey when my profile pic shows me as female.

I don’t send FRs as a general rule unless we were friends in a past life.

I KNEW you looked familiar! Remember that time we helped defend northern England from Viking invaders back in the 12th century?! Good Times! ;)B)<3
  • TwitchyMacGee
    TwitchyMacGee Posts: 3,120 Member
    Options
    I get more FRs from people interested in my fitness journey when my profile pic shows me as female.

I don’t send FRs as a general rule unless we were friends in a past life.

I KNEW you looked familiar! Remember that time we helped defend northern England from Viking invaders back in the 12th century?! Good Times! ;)B)<3

This gave me an unexpected laugh. Thanks 😁
  • JeromeBarry1
    JeromeBarry1 Posts: 10,182 Member
    Options
    The answer to the question of "What prompts a friend request?" is Anything.
  • Okillhavecake
    Okillhavecake Posts: 4,855 Member
    Options
    I don’t send friend requests everyone requests me 😂
  • slessofme
    slessofme Posts: 7,739 Member
    Options
    I think I've sent one or two friend requests, based on a fair amount of interaction on the forums. I dont participate much anymore, so it hasn't happened in quite a while.
  • spade117
    spade117 Posts: 2,466 Member
    Options
    I don't send requests. I only exist in the forums

Pretty much the same here. In the early days there was some interaction with those on the friends list, but most of the time was spent in the forums or groups. I think there are about still 20ish people left on my friends list, but I don't think any of them have been on in the past 12 months or more.

Back then, forum interaction is what drove most of the requests I received.

Nowadays, I can't even see my homepage, so there would be no interaction anyways. I believe there is some type of security in place where I work so the coding for the homepage doesn't work.
  • donaldmackay12
    donaldmackay12 Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    I have never sent a fr, like most unless I have chatted and they mention it I wouldn't
  • Iamthekateanator
    Iamthekateanator Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    I wanted friends initially so I had people seeing my food diary, cheering me on, interacting, motivating etc. But I'm not sure I've found someone who has the same ideas of accountability yet. Too soon to tell, since I just added people yesterday! I got some requests after I posted in the forum introducing myself. I'm a little nervous some guys added me cause they use this app to troll for women. I'm married. It's hard to tell initially the intent but theres a way to remove a friend if I need to!
  • springlering62
    springlering62 Posts: 7,425 Member
    edited February 2020
    Options
    I’m getting requests from guys lately. I always search their user names to see if they’re active on the forums. If not, I delete their request.

I had one from one guy, new’ish user ID, never posted, and his avatar was him, buck nekkid, holding something in front of his nether bits and grinning like a pussycat.

I was so astonished I laughed so loud I had to show it to my husband and now he thinks you’re all a bunch of pervs and that’s why I spend so much time on the forum, lololololol.....

But seriously, why all of a sudden? It’s almost feels like an undercurrent of scamsters looking for a lonely woman to bilk.
  • _Miss_chievous_
    _Miss_chievous_ Posts: 2,765 Member
    Options
    I get FR mostly from people I don't know or haven't even seen around, I don't know where they come from 🤣 I don't really send any, mostly because I'm just active in the forums.

My FL is mostly people I've known for a long time. I accept FR with a message if I've seen them around or we have mutual friends.

If you're a stranger and I don't know you and you send me a dirty inappropriate message I will laugh at you and be grossed out. 😁
  • dbanks80
    dbanks80 Posts: 3,685 Member
    edited February 2020
    Options
    I friend request if I read someone's profile that I've seen in the forums that may have similar interests as mine.

I've gotten friend requests saying they think my dogs are beautiful. They are though! :p
  • UpcyclerGirl
    UpcyclerGirl Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    I kind of creep my pals' pals...and send a request to the ones who either make me laugh, have a pic of a dog, a cat or other animal as their avatar, and/or are consistently supportive. :) I reject any requests that are blank or seem to be a pal collector.
  • wwwtheselion11
    wwwtheselion11 Posts: 422 Member
    Options
    I got room for 3 more friends. Be respectful please. I like to keep my friendship small. I cant hand 125 friends. Like some of you. Im not popular like you.
  • mada2u1984
    mada2u1984 Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    I am open to have any and all friends for support during my fitness journey but a few DN inappropriate comments then I must un-friend. I have made some good connections with support and encouragement with my fitness journey so I would say be open to all but be selective if they cross a boundary you have.
  • cowsfan12
    cowsfan12 Posts: 6,042 Member
    Options
    mada2u1984 wrote: »
    I am open to have any and all friends for support during my fitness journey but a few DN inappropriate comments then I must un-friend. I have made some good connections with support and encouragement with my fitness journey so I would say be open to all but be selective if they cross a boundary you have.

I have a feeling you may have a few request coming shortly