Exercise while sick ?

Options
This might be a silly question but is it okay to workout when you are ill? Like fever and body aches ill? I do feel very bad but not bad enough to where I can’t work out but I do not want to skip a day I’ve been doing so well...Anyone else here who just sucks it up and pushes through it? What is your experience with it? (Obviously I’m talking home workout not gym I wouldn’t bring my germs in there intentionally)

Replies

• bighoopattitude
    bighoopattitude Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    I always push through it. If I don’t I get sicker. I would play soccer in sweat pants and a long shirt and sweat it all out. I’d be exhausted, but I always felt better. The one time I went easy I got strep so I’m convinced exercising helps.
  • J72FIT
    J72FIT Posts: 5,948 Member
    Options
    IMO, rest...
  • Jthanmyfitnesspal
    Jthanmyfitnesspal Posts: 3,521 Member
    Options
    Yes. Until you can't. Then don't.

I just lost a week and a half to a bad cold. If you can't get out of bed, then you probably can't work out.
  • Chieflrg
    Chieflrg Posts: 9,097 Member
    Options
    Yep perfectly reasonable. Especially in cases where you have auto regulation instilled within your programming. If not perhaps a washout or even a deload that is based on your goals might be useful.

If it we are talking a fever of 102 higher(random number for myself), I might consider rescheduling my days.

• ActionRZ
    ActionRZ Posts: 134 Member
    Options
    I’d recommend rest and plenty of liquids if you have body aches and fever. Give your body time to heal.
  • cupcakesandproteinshakes
    cupcakesandproteinshakes Posts: 1,092 Member
    Options
    I reschedule if I feel really rough but otherwise just scale down the effort.
  • flynntrader
    flynntrader Posts: 210 Member
    edited March 2020
    Options
    At this time when a virus outbreak anxiety is so high, do not go to the gym and infect other people.
  • Duck_Puddle
    Duck_Puddle Posts: 3,224 Member
    Options
    At this time when a virus outbreak anxiety is so high, do not go to the gym and infect other people.

Sort of like washing hands, this should be a given whether or not there’s a fancy virus in town. Nobody wants your germs ever. Why should someone else have to spend a week or more hacking or fighting off whatever bug you have?

I’m using “you” and “your” in generic terms (not in reply to a specific person).
  • Chieflrg
    Chieflrg Posts: 9,097 Member
    Options

OP states specifically a home gym.
  • CoreyLust
    CoreyLust Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    If the effects are above your chin, i.e. running nose etc. Go for it. Below the chin. Sore throat, chest congestion, aching muscles etc. Then don't.
  • lkarkosky8024
    lkarkosky8024 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Thankyou for everyone who replied! I apologize for the late update,I had strep in the end so I was down for the count for a couple days! Now I’m ready to get back to it! In the end,the first day I got sick I did a light workout at home and in my opinion it did not make the illness last longer but I definitely felt worse than I did before so next time I will take the advice on here and rest completely.