No weight loss - whats wrong?

Options
Hi folks.

I've started to clear all the crap out of my diet as it was starting to make me feel terrible and i was gaining weight.

I've cut out sweets and desserts (only going to have these if its an occasion etc), white bread and pasta are gone, I'm drinking 2-3 litres of water daily when i used to mayyyybe have 750ml. Eating between 1200 and 1500 cals a day, weighing and measuring.

Its only been a week but i feel pretty good. I have more energy, I'm more alert and i feel smaller. But that darn weight hasnt budged.

I havent started exercising yet - going to add that on this week as I've found a running buddy.

What gives guys? If you can see my diary, can you see any glaring problems that i havent noticed?

Replies

• sarabushby
    sarabushby Posts: 784 Member
    Options
    One week is really not long enough to notice a trend, you need to be more patient and since you appear already fairly slim, your sustainable and safe rate of loss should be low - say 1/2lb per week.
    Have you established what your BMR is and worked out how many calories under that that you ate this last week?
    Water retention & time of the month can all play havoc with scale readings. If you’re feeling good then consider that your reward and just have patience with the scales.
  • snowflake954
    snowflake954 Posts: 8,400 Member
    Options
    I'd suggest you take your measurements and keep a weekly journal. As time goes on that can lift you up when the scale doesn't move. Patience.
  • nighthawk584
    nighthawk584 Posts: 1,992 Member
    Options
    Give it a few more weeks, then step on the scale. If you are weighing food and logging accurately, you will lose weight. As said above, patience is key.
  • 88olds
    88olds Posts: 4,463 Member
    Options
    “It’s only been a week...”

You said it.

A friend says of the scale- we eventually get the weigh in we deserve, but not necessarily when we expect it.
  • serindipte
    serindipte Posts: 1,557 Member
    Options
    sarabushby wrote: »
    One week is really not long enough to notice a trend, you need to be more patient and since you appear already fairly slim, your sustainable and safe rate of loss should be low - say 1/2lb per week.
    Have you established what your BMR is and worked out how many calories under that that you ate this last week?
    Water retention & time of the month can all play havoc with scale readings. If you’re feeling good then consider that your reward and just have patience with the scales.

Just a side note:
    BMR = number of calories burned without moving
    NEAT = number of calories burning through normal daily activity
    TDEE = calories burned in total, including exercise

MFP uses NEAT to figure the base calorie goal, with the intention of adding exercise calories back in. To figure final deficit, you should determine your TDEE, not BMR.
  • BuiltLikeAPeep
    BuiltLikeAPeep Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    I'd suggest you take your measurements and keep a weekly journal. As time goes on that can lift you up when the scale doesn't move. Patience.

I totally agree. There have been weeks of no movement on the scale, but my measurements were getting smaller. I measure chest, waist and hips and log it in an app that can show me charts. I also have a weight tracking app- Libra for Android, and I believe the apple version is called Happy Scale. I log there several times a week, and it keeps up with me trends. It will show you if your weight is on a downward trend and will also give you a date when you should expect to hit your goal weight. I hope this helps!
  • webuiltthisnicky
    webuiltthisnicky Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    Thanks guys. I've seen a movement of 2lbs this week but at 5'5" still on the old 33" waist. I definitely feel better for my food choices though so I'm going to stick with it. I started Couch to 5k this week and I realise week 1 isn't very strenuous so i didn't expect it to make much difference to my weight this week. Thanks for your support. Wish me luck for the week ahead!