Don’t want to give up

Battling my normal response to disappointment - usually turn to food. Instead I’m working my tail off cleaning house and eating right. Hoping I can lift my chin before my self doubt gets lower. Anyone know the feeling?

Replies

• serindipte
    serindipte Posts: 1,557 Member
    edited February 2020
    Totally know the feeling! You've got this! It isn't one huge decision, but a lot of little ones that add up. In each moment, we decide if we're going to clean the oven, or bake a pan of brownies...go for a walk or a bag of cookies. Now and then, we may choose wrong, but then we can choose better again next time.
  • shetland
    shetland Posts: 55 Member
    Yes I know that feeling very well. I try to combat it with one day at a time, sometimes even one hour at a time, or as the above posted said, one decision at a time. I have 50 pounds to lose to be healthy and when I think of it that way I get really overwhelmed, but when I start to feel discouraged or impatient I realize each decision gets me closer to being healthy again. Good for you for cleaning the house- you are being active and a clean house feels great.
  • MidlifeCrisisFitness
    MidlifeCrisisFitness Posts: 1,106 Member
    Little victories. Love those.
  • Melissa50s
    Melissa50s Posts: 9 Member
    Thank you. I needed some support and y’all delivered. Thanks for motivating me to stay strong. A clean house feels fantastic! Now I’m treating myself to a delicious salad and an orange for lunch. Have a great Saturday!
  • ladyzherra
    ladyzherra Posts: 438 Member
    Hi. Yes, I know what you mean; I feel that way, too.

For me, rather than trying to stave off the feeling before it happens or to try to get myself up out of it, I have learned to invite it and explore it in order to understand it. I found that when I fear a particular feeling (usually a negative feeling, but surprisingly sometimes a positive one, too), I build up more trauma around it and it causes me to move into unhealthy habits. But when I can sit down in what I feel and allow myself to feel uncomfortable and then to probe into that feeling with compassion and awareness, I can actually defeat it without allowing it to defeat me.
  • Melissa50s
    Melissa50s Posts: 9 Member
    That’s an interesting way to tackle a dress low feelings. I’ll try it sometime. This time I just worked through it. Literally. Thanks for the advice. Have a great day!!!
  • angelexperiment
    angelexperiment Posts: 1,917 Member
    I know when I am going for a walk meditation a shower organize declutter. Any good coping skill to replace the bad coping skill ( I go to Starbucks for a coffee now instead as a week treat ) or if real stress out or sad. Better than eating junk
  • elisa123gal
    elisa123gal Posts: 4,287 Member
    the truth is..if you stick with it.. over the long run it works. It just doesn't work every single week...it is hard to not get down. you can do this..keep it up!
  • Nynac7
    Nynac7 Posts: 1 Member
    Thank you, I needed that so much today!
  • EatThePopcorn
    EatThePopcorn Posts: 6 Member
    To stay in a positive place I focus on 3 simple things above all else.

1. Live in a clean house
    2. Eat & Sleep well
    3. Be on top of my finances

If I make those 3 things my priority and pray, I am on top of the world.