Embarrassed over weight lost

Options
So I’ve lost just over 50lbs and I’m proud of that but I’m also really embarrassed because I still have so much more to lose (25 more to my first goal but I definitely should lose more than that, probably another 50 if I’m being honest).

I feel like if I wasn’t still so over weight I wouldn’t be as embarrassed...

Anyone else go through this? Did you feel better after you got closer to goal?

Replies

• asthesoapturns
    asthesoapturns Posts: 313 Member
    Options
    I think you should be proud of what you've accomplished. You've done something great for yourself. One of my colleagues directed me to MFP when I told her I'd lost 15lb, since I know she's been on a weight loss journey since Oct. She's lost over 30lb! Yes, she's go more to lose and so do I but I'm so proud of her and what she's accomplished for herself!
  • DAN1ELGRU88
    DAN1ELGRU88 Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    Just keep doing what you’re doing. Lots of support on here. Never be embarrassed. As long as you feel good about your achievements so far then that’s all that matters
  • 88olds
    88olds Posts: 4,466 Member
    Options
    How are you feeling? Why did you get started with weight loss? You getting anywhere with those kinds of goals?

• AmyG1982
    AmyG1982 Posts: 1,040 Member
    Options
    88olds wrote: »
    How are you feeling? Why did you get started with weight loss? You getting anywhere with those kinds of goals?

Oh yeah, I’m totally crushing it on those fronts lol. It’s literally just the embarrassment about the # I’ve lost. I hate saying to people (especially ones who’ve never had a weight problem) that I’ve lost 50lbs while still needing to lose so much more.
  • seat151
    seat151 Posts: 172 Member
    Options
    Embrace the loss
  • joyanna2016
    joyanna2016 Posts: 323 Member
    Options
    ...so I meant to bold one word not half my paragraph!
  • josephinebowman
    josephinebowman Posts: 359 Member
    Options
    Won't it feel good when we get there! Argh, right now, I have a 3 pound yo-yo going. 52 more pounds after these 3.
  • vampirequeen1959
    vampirequeen1959 Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    It's because we try so hard to hide our weight. No one wants to admit to all and sundry that they weigh far more than they should (in my case three times as much) so when we lose weight it becomes a quandry. If we say we've lost xlbs and they can see that we still have a long way to go, we worry that they'll begin to work out what we still weigh. I don't think most people will do that. They'll admire your success.
  • seltzermint555
    seltzermint555 Posts: 10,742 Member
    Options
    Like others have said, you never have to give numbers - especially if it makes you feel uncomfortable for any reason!

I rarely talk about my numbers with people and it's partly because they don't seem to believe me. At my HW I was a little over 300 lb and now I hover around 170 lb. When I say I've lost 130 lb it's like the average person absolutely can't imagine that or they think I must have been practically bedridden...which couldn't be further from the truth, of course. People don't have a good idea of what x amount of weight loss looks like. Even as someone who has lost a lot, I don't always have a good idea of that, either...weight is such an odd thing and can be distributed so differently! On these forums you will see photos of people with drastic differences from losing 50 lb and others whose loss of 75 lb, while major, doesn't seem AS shockingly different in a side by side.

Anyway, don't tell people if you don't want to. I did not chronicle my loss on social media and some of my friends criticized that and thought I should. Nope, my body and my decision. Sometimes people will see me and say "WHOA I had no idea you lost that much weight, you look great" and I love that, I admit...but I don't need to post my before/after on facebook with measurements or pounds/inches...that wouldn't be ME at all and quite embarrassing. Plenty of other people LOVE doing that and find it very motivating and/or gratifying. We're all different.
  • shetland
    shetland Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    I get that. You don't NEED to tell people how much you have lost. If they ask if you have lost weight say yes and that's it. If they ask how much you can always say you are still "in the process" and are not sure so far, LOL
  • keodell1966
    keodell1966 Posts: 141 Member
    Options
    Congrats on your loss, first and foremost. That’s something to be proud of, no matter if you have more. We are all on our own journey, and what you’ve done so far is phenomenal. 🙂
  • Wiseandcurious
    Wiseandcurious Posts: 730 Member
    Options
    There was a lovely thread called "I've lost an elephant's p***s" way back, giving the real-world equivalent of different amounts of weigh lost. Depending on the person asking and situation, I might totally answer with something from that list. Or... just blow them off.

FWIW - I am slightly embarrassed too... so I don't talk about weight loss yet with anyone but my husband.
  • elisa123gal
    elisa123gal Posts: 4,287 Member
    Options
    Congratulations on your weight loss. It takes a lot of hard work to do what you did. I hate that you still don't feel good about that and hope you can see it the way many of us do. That loss has made you so much more healthy.. you're doing great and I'm sure those around you are impressed.