Used to be fit and fell of the wagon?

Options
Hello all,

New user here, and I was curious to find how many others out there used to be fit but let themselves go. I don't want this topic (should anyone be able to identify with this predicament) to become a "woe is me" thread, riddled with tales of failure and self-pity. What I'm hoping for is to reveal some sort of unifying factor, one that wasn't immediately apparent to me before. So I ask:

Are you overweight, both physically and mentally with the memories of what it used to be like being fit? What happened in your life that distracted you from maintaining yourself? If you could change ONE thing about yourself that would ensure success in reclaiming your former fit body, what would it be?

-Antonio

Replies

• moushtie
    moushtie Posts: 371 Member
    Options
    My memories of being fit are from when I was a child. Depression and anxiety issues stopped me from caring about my weight until recently. I'll never have the body I had as a child, but then I wouldn't want to. My main wish is to keep having the health, both physical and mental, to stay on the path I'm already on. I'm losing weight for the first time in my life!
  • Leslietheriot
    Leslietheriot Posts: 303 Member
    Options
    This is my 3rd weight loss journey. My Pre-Hurricane katrina weight was 115. I ate right and was a workout fanatic. At the first of the year, I found that I had got to 185. I felt horrible. I was disgusted that I had let myself go like that. Where I used to have a 6 pack I now have a big fat roll. I do not get discouraged. I know how to get there. I did it once and I can do it again :)
  • tigerblue
    tigerblue Posts: 1,526 Member
    Options
    Schedules. Specifically, becoming a mother (and all the schedule juggling that entails), while at the same time taking care of an elderly grandparent. I felt that I lost total control of my life for several years when I had two young children and grandma to care for. My needs came last.

Fortunately, my kids are a little older, and although their schedules are more hectic, they also are more self-reliant. And the situation with grandma has changed for now, although it may change again.

The biggest thing is I started putting my needs higher up on the list, and made my workout time a priority.
  • fionat29
    fionat29 Posts: 717 Member
    Options
    Sorry, I'm not really qualified to answer. I've NEVER been fit, until now, well fittish. Lol!! Since starting MFP in April I've lost 25lbs and more importantly I think, started serious exercising.Having gone from never running to running for up to 30 minutes (so far) with C25K plus doing various cardio DVDs, I can honestly say that this is the fittest I've been, literally, EVER. And it feels great!!
  • staceymclaughlin
    Options
    Hi Antonio,

Yep, I used to be a fit gym bunny and went religiously and really enjoyed it. Then I broke my foot and couldn't run for a few months and found that because I wasn't active, my healthy eating started to slide and I ate more and more junk food. Then when my foot healed I tried to go straight back into workouts at the level I was doing before. Obviously I wasn't as fit as before so couldn't workout to the same extreme, ended up getting disheartned and fell off the wagon totally and didn't set foot in a gym for about a year! So I wasn't exercising, was eating too much crap and most crucially, I didn't want to work out as I felt lazy in my head. Basically a vicious circle!!

I've found that now I'm starting to exercise again (getting into it slowly) I'm starting to enjoy again and as I'm feeling healthier physically, I feel healthier mentally and actually want to get fit. So in answer to your question, I would change my mental mindset back into a healthy groove and that would enable me to reclaim my fitness as I'd WANT to go to the gym and stop finding excuses not to go ;)

Phew, sorry about the essay there!

Stacey
  • Kimdbro
    Kimdbro Posts: 922 Member
    Options
    I was fit. I became complacent and thought I could just coast. I allowed my relationship, surgery, and a variety of any other excuse to let me not watch what I ate and not work out. Now I realize I went a bit too far. lol. Before long a 10lb manageable gain coupled with muscle disappearing turned to sluggish, 45lb gain. I'm here to fix that.
  • kasmir8199
    kasmir8199 Posts: 507 Member
    Options
    I used to be super fit as well in my early twenties. I had been obese before then and now I'm trying to get back to those fit years. I don't like to say I would change this or that, as I have a very blessed life, 2 beautiful kids...but I know where I made mistakes. When I was in the bet shape of my life, I was working out 2-3 hours a day 4 days a week (weight training and martial arts), not to mention walking around the huge UGA campus. I ate what I wanted, but I was a much more picky eater then. I didn't eat fried foods and although I'd eat all the fries in the world, I wouldn't eat much of any other fast food. After graduating, I met my (now ex)boyfriend while attending grad school, who was way skinnier than me, but who ate all the time. He wasn't health conscious. I didn't consider myself to be either, so I allowed him to introduce me to new foods. Wings with tons of ranch sauce, baklava, gyros, Jamaican food, pasta dishes...we ate a lot. I was still active, but I now had very poor eating habits. After kids came the weight (since I still ate poorly), plus I was working a career job now and was becoming more and more inactive. On came more weight...after splitting with him, I became active again. Went back to martial arts and dropped the weight. Loved it so much. I eventually moved back to my hometown, and thus loss my brilliant martial arts connection (such an amazing school and support group that was)...on came more weight as I became more inactive.

Now, getting back on track with in home training. Keeping things lively with a mixture of workouts and making far better food choices. :)
  • Kimdbro
    Kimdbro Posts: 922 Member
    Options
    Hi Antonio,

Yep, I used to be a fit gym bunny and went religiously and really enjoyed it. Then I broke my foot and couldn't run for a few months and found that because I wasn't active, my healthy eating started to slide and I ate more and more junk food. Then when my foot healed I tried to go straight back into workouts at the level I was doing before. Obviously I wasn't as fit as before so couldn't workout to the same extreme, ended up getting disheartned and fell off the wagon totally and didn't set foot in a gym for about a year! So I wasn't exercising, was eating too much crap and most crucially, I didn't want to work out as I felt lazy in my head. Basically a vicious circle!!

I've found that now I'm starting to exercise again (getting into it slowly) I'm starting to enjoy again and as I'm feeling healthier physically, I feel healthier mentally and actually want to get fit. So in answer to your question, I would change my mental mindset back into a healthy groove and that would enable me to reclaim my fitness as I'd WANT to go to the gym and stop finding excuses not to go ;)

Phew, sorry about the essay there!

Stacey
    Nail on the head Stacey!! This was me too, after my knee healed I thought I could just hit back at it again like nothing had changed... the horror in my head and damage to my psyche was pretty large when I was exhausted and unable to perform. Sadly I became disheartened instead of using it as motivation.
  • aperezbiz
    Options
    Thanks for all the replies! Didn't realize this was such an active (*wink*) community. lol

I think one of the most powerful forces in this world are the forces of cumulative effect. When I began gaining wait, it was a slow and subtle process. The worst part about it was that when I REALIZED I was gaining weight, I didn't truly understand how much weight I had gained. Facing down my wedding, which is rapidly approaching on the 18th, I've had the rare opportunity of re-evaluating every aspect of my life and what I can improve.

By body not being the least of which.