Secret santa gift help

Options
yirara
yirara Posts: 9,389 Member
So I decided to participate in a secret santa, and am a bit at a loss. I'm looking for ideas in the ballpark of $20 total. Giftee has started working out after gaining a lot of weight. Is saving for a fitbit to count steps and track workouts, and using a special pre-workout thingy, both way above the $20 budget. I'm basically completely out of ideas. Thought maybe a blackroll, but they are super expensive here. A hiking guide? Well, you have all that info online and there are no proper books. I'm totally out of ideas and looking for suggestions, basically.

Replies

• Theoldguy1
    Theoldguy1 Posts: 2,454 Member
    Options
    Might help to know where you are. In the US foam rollers can be had for $20 or less
  • yirara
    Options
    Continental Europe. We don't even have Amazon here.
  • deannalfisher
    deannalfisher Posts: 5,600 Member
    Options
    What about a nice water bottle they can take a gym or some athletic socks or a workout journal
  • michael1976_ca
    michael1976_ca Posts: 3,488 Member
    Options
    you can get a smart watch from wish.com they have all kinds of thing's there. i love shopping online
  • littlegreenparrot1
    littlegreenparrot1 Posts: 694 Member
    Options
    If their hiking I'd get them a head torch, endlessly useful.
  • yukfoo
    yukfoo Posts: 871 Member
    Options
    Only 299 more shopping days...you better decide quick!
    Nothing says "I give up" like a gift card...
  • yirara
    Options
    lorrpb wrote: »
    Why are you doing secret Santa in March?🤔

Because not everyone organizes them at Christmas.
  • amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    Options
    Water resistant bluetooth headphones if they don't have them. Some of these are affordable. It's a gift that can be used by anybody of any weight for any activity, but really nice to have during workouts. If you don't know much about the person (some people can be sensitive to even the slightest nod to their weight) it's a good gift that doesn't scream "I see that you are working on your weight".
  • yirara
    Options
    I honestly don't know if they have them. I've never had such an unresponsive giftee to be honest: doesn't answer questions, and only likes high value things. :s
    With electronics though I'd not buy anything cheap. People have certain things in mind that they're saving for. A cheap alternative might work, but will it be loved?

I've been looking more into sightseeing books around giftee's home area, just to give an incentive for moving. But either those are really, really bad, or way above budget again. *sigh* never been so difficult
  • deannalfisher
    Options

redditgifts does Secret Santa like activities all through the year - i just wrapped up a books one, a dog owners one and a blind box (you nor your giftee know what they are getting because its totally random)
  • deannalfisher
    Options
    yirara wrote: »
    I honestly don't know if they have them. I've never had such an unresponsive giftee to be honest: doesn't answer questions, and only likes high value things. :s
    With electronics though I'd not buy anything cheap. People have certain things in mind that they're saving for. A cheap alternative might work, but will it be loved?

I've been looking more into sightseeing books around giftee's home area, just to give an incentive for moving. But either those are really, really bad, or way above budget again. *sigh* never been so difficult

@yirara - you can only do the best working with what the budget it and what you think your person might use/like - if they haven't given you good guidance/ideas then pick something you would have liked/used while in that persons position and go from there
  • yirara
    Options

@yirara - you can only do the best working with what the budget it and what you think your person might use/like - if they haven't given you good guidance/ideas then pick something you would have liked/used while in that persons position and go from there

Thanks a lot @deannalfisher
    Yes, it's indeed redditgifts. I decided not to do Christmas as there's always a big risk of not getting anything back or your giftee not liking what you've chosen*. And I didn't want that for Christmas :)

I think I'm slowly getting there. Found a blackroll copy in a shop that has good reviews and feels like my original one. This one does not make my bank account commit suicide. Plus a cookbook with comfort food that is easily adjustable from the low cal suggestions within to huge splurges without much effort. I do use this book a lot myself.

*I once had a giftee that wanted nothing but an $800 kitchen machine. But wrote that if I think that's too expensive I could chose something from her amazon list. So I chose two items and added something that's local to me. The post literally read: "thanks I think" :s
  • deannalfisher
    Options

Yes, it's indeed redditgifts. I decided not to do Christmas as there's always a big risk of not getting anything back or your giftee not liking what you've chosen*. And I didn't want that for Christmas :)

I think I'm slowly getting there. Found a blackroll copy in a shop that has good reviews and feels like my original one. This one does not make my bank account commit suicide. Plus a cookbook with comfort food that is easily adjustable from the low cal suggestions within to huge splurges without much effort. I do use this book a lot myself.

*I once had a giftee that wanted nothing but an $800 kitchen machine. But wrote that if I think that's too expensive I could chose something from her amazon list. So I chose two items and added something that's local to me. The post literally read: "thanks I think" :s

ugh i hate that! even though i wasn't too happy with my book gifts (nothing i would normally read and i had told my giftee my main genres for reading) i still said something like yay new books because never look a gifthorse in the mouth
  • yirara
    Options

ugh i hate that! even though i wasn't too happy with my book gifts (nothing i would normally read and i had told my giftee my main genres for reading) i still said something like yay new books because never look a gifthorse in the mouth

<3
    I guess that's the gamble of participating, right? Maybe that's the reason I like it :D
  • deannalfisher
    Options

<3
    I guess that's the gamble of participating, right? Maybe that's the reason I like it :D

totally!
  • jeagogo
    jeagogo Posts: 179 Member
    Options
    I like the idea of a water bottle - they are so easy to lose that I never mind having an extra. There are also many places you can get customized water bottles now so something with a cute saying or a reference to some pop culture things the recipient enjoys could be cool.
  • 46faz
    46faz Posts: 1 Member
    Options

You
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Options

redditgifts does Secret Santa like activities all through the year - i just wrapped up a books one, a dog owners one and a blind box (you nor your giftee know what they are getting because its totally random)

So then it's not really Santa?! Just the secret gift fairy. :p
  • deannalfisher
    Options

So then it's not really Santa?! Just the secret gift fairy. :p

Kinda but def modeled on SS (which most ppl understand the concept of)