What supplement/ vitamins are you taking?

Options
I'm taking multisure multivitamin for women. Still falling short on calcium :grumble:

Replies

• pnieuw
    pnieuw Posts: 473
    Options
    I'm taking multisure multivitamin for women. Still falling short on calcium :grumble:

when I'm low on my calcium, I have two Tums or Roliads. 40% of your calcium for the day. My doctor suggested it since I don't drink a lot of milk or eat other daily that much.
  • MadeOfMagic
    MadeOfMagic Posts: 525 Member
    Options
    I have the same exact issue, plus I barely touch dairy, wonder what foods are good to make up for it that don't have dairy.
  • shrekk218
    Options
    Animalpak vitamins/minerals, ZMA, Cellucor C4 pre workout
  • lausa22
    lausa22 Posts: 467 Member
    Options
    I take none and my iron is soooooo low.
    So I was given multi-vitamins with extra iron, but I always forget to take them.
  • libby10205
    libby10205 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    1200 mg calcium
    600 mg fish oil
    multi vitamin
  • brit49
    brit49 Posts: 461 Member
    Options
    Vitamin C B12 calcium/ magnesium /D3.
  • pammyedmunds
    pammyedmunds Posts: 608 Member
    Options
    All I am taking is BeachBody Shakeology Chocolate Flavor. It tastes amazing and its packed with tons of nutrients!
  • militarywife100
    Options
    i take a normal womens multivitamin and a materna vitamin every day...Im not pregnant but theres alot of god things in the materna pills...
  • MoonIite
    MoonIite Posts: 341 Member
    Options
    I suspected I had an iron deficiency because my hair would always fall out in clumps when I wash or run my fingers through it. After taking a multivitamin, my hair stopped falling out completely.
  • Soulbird81
    Options
    Calcium is absorbed much better if you get it from plant sources over dairy or supplements. Up your intake of dark green leafy vegetables, tofu made with calcium sulfate (many people do not realize how amazing tofu is....not to mention it is high in protein), calcium fortified soy-milk and orange juice...just to name a few. You want to increase your intake of non-animal protein because animal protein actually increases the loss of calcium through your urine. High sodium also increases calcium loss and definitely make sure that you include strength training, which aids in building bones :0)
  • MadeOfMagic
    MadeOfMagic Posts: 525 Member
    Options
    Calcium is absorbed much better if you get it from plant sources over dairy or supplements. Up your intake of dark green leafy vegetables, tofu made with calcium sulfate (many people do not realize how amazing tofu is....not to mention it is high in protein), calcium fortified soy-milk and orange juice...just to name a few. You want to increase your intake of non-animal protein because animal protein actually increases the loss of calcium through your urine. High sodium also increases calcium loss and definitely make sure that you include strength training, which aids in building bones :0)

Good advice, didn't realize greens and tofu had so much calcium! Thanks!
  • tacticalhippie
    tacticalhippie Posts: 596 Member
    Options
    Started taking GNC Women's Ultra Mega Capsules.
    I got tired of swallowing the big ones, and the calories of the kids chewables.

Also take fish oil sometimes.
    and extra vitamin c
  • lanaholt
    Options
    I, also, drink Shakeology some of the other folks. But, I'm a group exercise instructor and personal trainer, so I put my body through the ringer and take some extra supplementation. I use the Beachbody Core Cal-Mag, has calcium, Magnesium, and Vitamin D. I found the below article on the Walgreens Pharmacy site and thought it was interesting...

While calcium citrate and calcium carbonate can both supply the recommended intake of calcium in different doses, they do differ in a number of ways:

§ In some clinical studies, calcium citrate has been found to be more easily digested and more readily absorbed than calcium carbonate. In addition, calcium citrate is better absorbed in persons who have decreased stomach acid.

§ While both calcium citrate and calcium carbonate can cause constipation, calcium citrate is less likely to have this effect. (Note that the overall incidence of constipation is low for either form.)

§ The compound calcium carbonate contains 40 percent elemental calcium, whereas calcium citrate contains only 21 percent. To get the same amount of elemental calcium, you’d have to take more calcium citrate tablets than you would calcium carbonate.

§ Calcium citrate tends to be more expensive than calcium carbonate. And since you’d need to take more doses to get the same amount of calcium, this also raises your cost.
    Regardless of the form of calcium you choose, remember that the more your doses rise above 500 mg per dose, the less calcium your body will actually absorb. Your best solution: Avoid taking more than 500 mg per dose. If your recommended daily intake is 1,000 mg, for example, divide that into at least two doses taken over the course of the day. In addition to helping the absorption issue, splitting up your daily doses can help reduce the possibility of adverse reactions, the most common of which are gas, bloating, and constipation. If spreading out the doses does not relieve side effects, try either taking your calcium supplement with meals or changing brands.

And why do so many calcium supplements contain vitamin D? This vitamin aids the body in absorbing calcium.
  • kristlynngirl
    kristlynngirl Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    I take a multivitamin and a B vitamin complex. I was taking cayenne pills but they gave me horrible indigestion!
  • whatwentwrong
    Options
    just started one a day women's metabolism, and also taking magnesium for headaches :)
  • Bethywethy93
    Options
    I take gummies for everything:
    one folic acid at 500 mg
    one vitamin c at 50 mg
    two calciums at 500 mg
    two multi vitamins at.. idk lol
  • whatevany
    whatevany Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    Vitamin D3
    Omega 3 Fish Oil
    Co Q 10
    Magnesium (Natural Calm)
    Vitamin K
  • militarywife100
    Options
    I suspected I had an iron deficiency because my hair would always fall out in clumps when I wash or run my fingers through it. After taking a multivitamin, my hair stopped falling out completely.

The materna vitamins are really good for hair and nail growth..