Meal prep ideas

Options
Hi has anyone got any good meal prep ideas?! Please feel free to add me as a friend so we can support each other on our journeys :)

Replies

• DancingMoosie
    DancingMoosie Posts: 8,613 Member
    Options
    I have a multi-pot and use it to prep lunches for the week. I buy one bunch of greens(kale, collards, or turnip) and chop up onion, carrot, mushroom, maybe a zucchini or peppers. Then, saute the onion and peppers, next put all other veggies in the pot with a cup of water and seasoning or bouillon. It takes 3 min cook time. I add rotisserie chicken breast or other protein after cooking. This generally makes 3-4 meals.
    Also, I try to make enough dinner to cover 2 nights so I only have to cook once. This week we are going to have turkey taco salad. So I will cook 4 portions(there's only 2 of us) of ground turkey with taco seasoning. Same with beef patties. I'll cook 4 at a time. So, just try to double or even triple whatever recipes you normally do so you don't have to cook as often.
  • WinoGelato
    WinoGelato Posts: 13,454 Member
    Options
    There are lots of good ideas on Pinterest and if you use the search button here you can see other similar threads and ideas shared.

Some people are hard core and prep a full weeks worth of multiple meals on the weekends. I’ve never been able to allocate that much time or fridge space to those sorts of efforts but I do:

Make an extra portion of dinners especially the protein when I cook throughout the week so I can pack the leftovers for lunches once or twice. Tonight I’m making two pork tenderloins I will do different marinades and cook one slightly less than the other so as I heat it up during the week in the microwave it doesn’t get overcooked. I also use a lot of small convenience packs of rice and frozen veggies so I can supplement the leftover pork with new sides.

When I make a recipe that calls for cooked ground meat (beef, turkey, etc) I cook a 5 lb portion of the meat, use whatever I need for the recipe and then divide the rest into ziplock bags in 1 lb portion that can be used for weeknight meals - tacos, spaghetti, etc.

Cook several chicken breasts from frozen in my instant pot, shredding to use in burrito bowls, soups, wraps, salads, etc.
  • DancingMoosie
    DancingMoosie Posts: 8,613 Member
    Options
    I still need to try the froz chicken in the instapot! What do you add to it?
  • deannalfisher
    deannalfisher Posts: 5,600 Member
    Options
    I try to base mine on what protein is on sale for the week
  • WinoGelato
    WinoGelato Posts: 13,454 Member
    Options
    I still need to try the froz chicken in the instapot! What do you add to it?

Depends what I am planning to do with it. I’ve done salsa chicken quite a bit - so basically a half cup chicken broth (I use that pretty much regardless) and then a jar of red or green salsa and some cumin, salt, pepper, etc. I’ve also done more of an Italian shredded chicken with again, chicken broth, basic Italian spices like oregano, basil, garlic powder, and a little lemon juice.