Carbs

Options
I have PCOS & it is a suggestion that i lower my carbs. Looking almost everything is a carb. What do yall cut out of your diet that lowers your carb count????

Replies

• houzkat
    Options
    I find that my cereals and breads are racking up my numbers much more than my fruits and veggies so I'm trying to eat less bread and reach for fresh fruits and veggies instead for my carbs.
  • EJsMom310
    EJsMom310 Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    Stay away from soda! :)
  • idauria
    idauria Posts: 1,037 Member
    Options
    bread, pasta, cereal, high carb/sugar veggies and fruits.
  • bluebird321
    bluebird321 Posts: 733 Member
    Options
    Stay away from anything processed. Eat natural and clean -- lots of protein, non-starchy fruits and vegetables.
  • sneezles
    sneezles Posts: 165 Member
    Options
    No wheat, no oats, no corn, no peas, no potatoes, no squash.

I eat only brown rice and quinoa but no more than twice a week.
  • sandy2006
    sandy2006 Posts: 483 Member
    Options
    I have pcos also and I stay away from the white stuff. Refined sugar and bleached flour, processed foods and starches. I eat lean protein and veggies.
  • thegoodner
    thegoodner Posts: 113 Member
    Options
    get as many carbs from veggies as you can. Stick to low glycemic fruits like berries, avoid flour, soda, pasta, tortillas, chips, corn, potatoes. If you must eat grains make them brown. Stay away from the processed junk and even artificial sweeteners as much as you can. Eat clean as much as you can. For PCOS you want to really reduce your carbs so you can access stored body fat. I stay under 100 per day and average 2+ pounds per week easy. You will find that with issues like Pcos, you can hit your calorie goal, but if you eat to many carbs...not lose weight, and even gain weight. There are a lot of good things you can eat! All meats, healthy fats, nuts, and all the veggies you want! Use the starchier foods as occassional treats and you will start melting away.
  • Mmmary212
    Mmmary212 Posts: 410 Member
    Options
    I eat meat, some vegetables, usually always sweet potatoes, meat and more meat....and lots of fat.
  • 1dragonfly
    1dragonfly Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    Like you, I'm trying to cut out carbs. I know what not to eat, but what to eat instead? I can't have eggs for breakfast every morning! UGH!
    :grumble:
  • sneezles
    sneezles Posts: 165 Member
    Options
    Like you, I'm trying to cut out carbs. I know what not to eat, but what to eat instead? I can't have eggs for breakfast every morning! UGH!
    :grumble:

Sure you can! I have 2 eggs SRAM led with 1tbs butter every day...some days I add bacon for variety.

You can also eat anything you'd eat for lunch and supper for breakfast...think outside the cereal box! ;-)
  • WeighAhead
    WeighAhead Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    Hi I was recently diagnosed with type 2 diabetes, so i know what it is like to have to cut back on carbs. One thing that has been a life-saver for me are these thin bagels that they sell now. Bread was a huge staple for me, and I was dreading eating a salad for every meal(which I do anyway now, its not so bad.) but I find that I can easily have 2-3 thin bagels and still stay under my carb goal for the day. Good luck!
  • writtenINthestars
    writtenINthestars Posts: 1,933 Member
    Options
    You can't go wrong with going as natural as possible in this case. Not sure what you eat now, but avoid processed and sugary foods, grains, cereals etc.

Try to stick with lean protein fruits and vegetables as much as possible . Good Luck!
  • knittnponder
    knittnponder Posts: 1,954 Member
    Options
    Focus on eating whole foods as much as possible. When thinking about "bad" carbs it's things like refined sugars and flours. Bread and cereal can be bad too even if they're whole grain if you're getting to much of them. The best carbs will come from whole vegetables, beans and moderate amounts of fruit with a little bit of whole grains thrown in. The easiest way to choose the good foods over bad is to pick things as close to their natural state as possible. Eat an apple instead of applesauce, orange instead of orange juice, whole vegetables instead of "veggie chips" etc.

I don't have PCOS but I do eat reduced carb and the bulk of my food is meat and vegetables with a little bit of fruit thrown in. I personally try to avoid grains because they make me feel poorly.