I'm not doing Atkins but have a carb Q!

Options
Do any of you not "count" the carbs you get from fruits & vegetables? For example, today I have had 155g carbs, but 66g came from fresh fruits and veggies. Do you think it is "okay" to go over on your carb percentage because of fruit/veg consumption?

Replies

• michedarnd
    michedarnd Posts: 207 Member
    Options
    I'm not an expert, here, but I would think that you can't truly ignore fruit/veggie carbs. Don't simple sugars, whatever their source, count? They recommend that we do not over-inundate our children with juice -- even 100% juice -- because of the sugar count, so I would think that they matter -- particularly to anyone diabetic or insulin-resistant.
  • bluebird321
    bluebird321 Posts: 733 Member
    Options
    I count the carbs in fruits and veggies. I also count sugar from all sources including fruit.
  • JNick77
    JNick77 Posts: 3,783 Member
    Options
    I'm not an expert, here, but I would think that you can't truly ignore fruit/veggie carbs. Don't simple sugars, whatever their source, count? They recommend that we do not over-inundate our children with juice -- even 100% juice -- because of the sugar count, so I would think that they matter -- particularly to anyone diabetic or insulin-resistant.

No you can't subtract fruits and veggies. You can subtract Fiber though. There's a breakdown and I don't have the article to reference on me but I think you can subtract 100% soluble and like 50% of insoluble (whatever the other type is called). You can probably do a Google search on that.
  • Alexmommy2009
    Options
    I take into consideration the carbs from fruits and veggies. I will beat myself up if I go over because of bread/pasta but if I go over because of fruits/veggies I don't get as mad. Still not very happy about it though. Remember fiber kinda counteracts the overall carbs. as long as you have a high fiber count you shouldn't be too worried.
  • acciomuscles
    acciomuscles Posts: 164 Member
    Options
    Okay, I will definitely keep track of my fiber! I always go "over" on that.
  • Grokette
    Grokette Posts: 3,330 Member
    Options
    Do any of you not "count" the carbs you get from fruits & vegetables? For example, today I have had 155g carbs, but 66g came from fresh fruits and veggies. Do you think it is "okay" to go over on your carb percentage because of fruit/veg consumption?

If you are a calorie counter you have to count the calories in vegetables and fruits............

If you count carbs, the same rule applies...........you have to count the numbers no matter what your counting.............

The only plan where you truly don't count and just eat is Paleo because your not eating any processed foods............and you eat when your hungry.
  • JNick77
    JNick77 Posts: 3,783 Member
    Options

If you are a calorie counter you have to count the calories in vegetables and fruits............

If you count carbs, the same rule applies...........you have to count the numbers no matter what your counting.............

The only plan where you truly don't count and just eat is Paleo because your not eating any processed foods............and you eat when your hungry.

Not exactly. This is from a live web discussion with John Meadows recently.

"you can back out fiber from carb intake - insoluble fiber is 0 calories, and soluble is 0 or 2 calories per gram depending on the source...def back it out..for your diet, rotate in lots of green veggies, and mix in some fruit and brans on occasion too ok...." - J. Meadows CSCS

Complete article: http://www.t-nation.com/free_online_article/most_recent/fiber_made_simple