Low calorie dinners

Options
Anyone got any good tips for low calorie dinners?

Replies

• cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 33,961 Member
    Options
    Nearly all my dinners are 300-400.

Just eat the food you like in the portions that fit your goal.

Pre-log it to see the calories.
  • nicsflyingcircus
    nicsflyingcircus Posts: 2,410 Member
    Options
    Reasonable portions of lean meats or fish and large portions of non-starchy vegetables prepared however you like.

Tonight, top sirloin with scads of mushrooms and asparagus sautéed with butter and garlic... About 500kcal but easily reduceable by cutting steak portion from 8oz to 6oz and cutting the amount of butter used in the Sautee.

Tomorrow, pork tenderloin with oven roasted garlic broccoli sprinkled with parmesan. 350 kcal at my pre-planned portion of meat.
  • kimlight2
    kimlight2 Posts: 483 Member
    Options
    Today was 6oz.. of broiled chicken with a 3oz.. baked potato, a tbsp of sour cream and a salad.
  • summery79
    summery79 Posts: 116 Member
    Options
    @nicsflyingcircus mentioned a strategy that I like/utilize when I am cutting back. It's a really good technique to get a lowish calorie meal from a steak house too!
  • lemurcat2
    lemurcat2 Posts: 7,885 Member
    Options
    Reasonable portions of lean meats or fish and large portions of non-starchy vegetables prepared however you like.

This. When I'm eating meat (I'm not currently because of Lent), my basic dinner is often meat/fish + starch + vegetables. If I want low cal, I make sure the protein is lean and skip the starch and if I need more food increase the veg.
  • lightenup2016
    lightenup2016 Posts: 1,055 Member
    Options
    These days I do pretty good at still having 550 calories left for dinner (and 350 for after dinner), so I just have that amount of whatever we're having for dinner, but back when I would run out and only have 300 calories or less, I'd sometimes have:

1. A salad with grilled chicken (have to watch all the add-ons, but I used a scale)
    2. A mix of regular pasta with zoodles (or just zoodles if I was that low)
    3. One package of sushi from the grocery store (look at calories on container--some are higher than others!)
    4. Egg and cheese burrito--about 350 calories.
    5. Tortilla pizza--one flour tortilla with sauce, cheese, whatever vegetable toppings I have on hand (still weighing out sauce and cheese).
    6. A little bit of pasta or rice with a big load of sauteed vegetables.
  • puffbrat
    puffbrat Posts: 2,806 Member
    Options
    Nearly all my dinners are 300-400.

Just eat the food you like in the portions that fit your goal.

Pre-log it to see the calories.

This. My husband is always astounded when he asks how many calories our dinner is and I tell him that my portion is 300-450 calories. But then he remembers that he typically eats twice as much as I do which is why it sounds low to him.

As others have mentioned, proteins and many vegetables are relatively low calorie foods that can help you meet your goal. For me though, it is mostly about portions. I still eat lots of breads, cheeses, pastas, etc. for dinner but keep the calories manageable with smaller servings.