Roasted potato macros?

Options
MDC2957
MDC2957 Posts: 417 Member
I roasted some small Yukon gold and baby red potatoes. For lunch I'm having 3 of the red and 1 of the Yukon. If I use entries on MyFitnessPal for the number of each potato, the carbs come out to 54 grams. I weighed the cooked potatoes on the plate and they came out to130g. When I look up an entry for cooked potato, most of them show about 26 grams of carbs for a 130 gram serving. So my question is is there a general number or entry that you use for cooked potato weight? I prefer to make my entries by weight instead of numbers of items because they could be referring to a different sized potato than what I'm using.

Replies

• Lib_B
    Lib_B Posts: 446 Member
    edited March 2020
    Options
    You can adjust size here to get nutrition per gram. And I'm the same way - I use weight and you can't always get it on this site.

https://www.calorieking.com/us/en/foods/f/calories-in-fresh-or-dried-vegetables-yukon-gold-potatoes/AG5o_nGTS1KWnypwoS2lIQ
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    MDC2957 wrote: »
    Well I made a bunch to eat during the week so that would be kinda hard to do...

Why would it be hard to do? Is it because you didn't capture the raw weight, only the cooked weight? If that's the issue, you can find an accurate entry for cooked potatoes (using the USDA database as a guide) and then log however much you're choosing to eat.
  • angelexperiment
    angelexperiment Posts: 1,917 Member
    Options
    The USDA listing for foods on here is the most accurate from what I’m told.
  • MelanieCN77
    MelanieCN77 Posts: 4,047 Member
    Options
    Weigh raw potatoes, make recipe with ingredients being that weight of potatoes, weigh finished cooked product and enter the grams it weighs as recipe servings. Dish out and weigh each serving of your recipe.
  • quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,442 Member
    edited March 2020
    Options
    Are you worried because one is Yukon Gold and three are baby red? It doesn't matter that much. Log the total grams of potatoes.

Don't sweat the small stuff. You seem to do that a lot.
  • corinasue1143
    corinasue1143 Posts: 7,467 Member
    Options
    According to USDA, roasted potatoes, red skin, Yukon gold, and white are about 20 grams carb per 100 grams potato.
    Find a better entry? No, I don’t know a good one. Make your own. Share it with me?
  • deannalfisher
    deannalfisher Posts: 5,600 Member
    Options
    Well I made a bunch to eat during the week so that would be kinda hard to do...

here's what i do - i make a recipe that is roasted potatoes

I enter the raw weight and then cook as desired - then for my serving number - i set that to total weigh in oz's (so if i cook them and the cooked weight is 10oz, then i log it as 10 servings) - so when i each, i weigh out the amount i want and log it
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,898 Member
    Options
    I roasted some small Yukon gold and baby red potatoes. For lunch I'm having 3 of the red and 1 of the Yukon. If I use entries on MyFitnessPal for the number of each potato, the carbs come out to 54 grams. I weighed the cooked potatoes on the plate and they came out to130g. When I look up an entry for cooked potato, most of them show about 26 grams of carbs for a 130 gram serving. So my question is is there a general number or entry that you use for cooked potato weight? I prefer to make my entries by weight instead of numbers of items because they could be referring to a different sized potato than what I'm using.

If you use oil, then you should create a recipe. Otherwise:
    • "Potatoes, baked, flesh and skin, with salt" or
    • "Potatoes, baked, flesh and skin, without salt"

I wouldn't worry about any minor discrepancies due to the size or variety.

• paperpudding
    paperpudding Posts: 8,995 Member
    Options
    I am not getting the problem.

I eat roast potatoes often - I just weigh the cooked amount ( I dont bother distinguishing between types of potatoes as Im sure they are all close enough to each other) and log that.

If you use oil, include that.

( I dont as I never roast potatoes by themselves, they are in a roasting bag with, say, roast lamb, carrots, pumpkin and they just roast in the meat juices)
  • durhammfp
    durhammfp Posts: 493 Member
    Options
    When I'm cooking potatoes, I weigh the potatoes raw and log the portion of the total raw weight that I ate.

Exactly what I do.

Sometimes I use the Recipe function in MFP to enter data for all the raw ingredients and then make the number of servings the weight in grams, so then I just have to enter the weight by grams--and yes I do this for even the small recipes that are not really recipes like making roasted potatoes. If I make a big batch of something that lasts several days it makes bookkeeping more simple.

• lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Options
    You could weigh both before and after to cook them and make the conversion from there.