The not-workout thread. For those sick or injured.

Options
yirara
yirara Posts: 9,389 Member
There are always people here who ask whether they should work out with fever, or being otherwise sick. Usually this is not a good idea as the body needs all it's energy to heal itself. I know how frustrating it is to not being able to work out for a few days or longer. So why not start a thread where we can share our frustration, get a few hugs, and basically just waste a bit of time until we're better again.

Here's my frustration: Last week I thought I'll finally start workout out again after and endless row of injuries, being sick, or being a bit depressed. Cue Friday, and I'm down with a stomach bug. Sunday evening I thought I would be able to work out again this week. What happens? While being in the kitchen I suddenly feel a bit dizzy from this stupid bug, drop my favourite knife (very sharp and very pointy) and stumble into it while it falls down. I somehow (and don't ask how) managed to pierce a hole into my knee right next to the patella, and must have injured a muscle while doing so. After a rather uncomfortable night I can at least mostly bend said knee again as long as I avoid extremes. Ugh! I just want to work out again!

Replies

• ElizabethKalmbach
    ElizabethKalmbach Posts: 1,416 Member
    Options
    OMG! Yirara! You're never supposed to try and catch a falling knife, and NEVER LIKE THAT! O_O Are you OK? Did you get stitches?

I'm grumpy because my TOS is still causing circulation problems, and the flu I had a week ago caused coughing that messed up my spinal alignment something fierce and made the TOS WORSE, despite all the PT I've been doing. I feel like I'm going to have t-rex arms for the rest of my life.
  • yirara
    Options
    OMG! Yirara! You're never supposed to try and catch a falling knife, and NEVER LIKE THAT! O_O Are you OK? Did you get stitches?

I'm grumpy because my TOS is still causing circulation problems, and the flu I had a week ago caused coughing that messed up my spinal alignment something fierce and made the TOS WORSE, despite all the PT I've been doing. I feel like I'm going to have t-rex arms for the rest of my life.

Aww, poor you! I hope at least the coughing has stopped by now. Babysteps, Elizabeth!
    ddb.jpg

Me, yeah, in hindsight it was a bad idea to try and catch a knife with my knee :D . It's just a 1cm wide cut. Though given the thin tip of the knife it's quite a deep onen:o It will get better eventually I'm sure. And if not then I can still go to my gp.
  • ElizabethKalmbach
    Options
    ^^ That's one of my favorite memes of all time. That and the inspirational thought, "When you're having a hard time, just imagine a t-rex trying to put a fitted sheet on a mattress. You're not doing so bad..."
  • yirara
    Options
    Aww, T-rex memes are good for pretty much everything. <3
  • AlannaWulf
    AlannaWulf Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    I'm in my do not exercise period after having baby and I want to do cardio so badly! I wanna lose my baby weight!
  • ElizabethKalmbach
    Options
    @AlannaWulf It'll come off in no time once you're pacing the floor with that baby at bed time and nap time. <3 Congratulations on your newest family member!
  • AlannaWulf
    AlannaWulf Posts: 25 Member
    Options
  • leggup
    leggup Posts: 2,942 Member
    Options
    If the symptoms are above the neck (sinus, runny nose), I still exercise. Mayo Clinic Advisory: https://www.mayoclinic.org/healthy-lifestyle/fitness/expert-answers/exercise/faq-20058494

I have a broken thumb right now which apparently requires a full arm cast so that I don't use the tendons at all for 6-10 weeks. I've found adaptive exercises I can do- treadmill, elbow planks, squatting using the other hand to press free weights to my chest. I'm also working with a balance board.

There are loads of exercises that don't use knees- enjoy working your upper body for a while!
  • whmscll
    whmscll Posts: 2,254 Member
    Options
    I had two dental implants put in today and have been told not to exercise for a WEEK! Most websites said 3-4 days, so that’s what i was expecting. I will follow my doc’s instructions, the implants were way too expensive to screw around, but arghhh.
  • DyneSalcar
    DyneSalcar Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    My biggest frustration is headaches. They can be caused by weather, PMS, or exercise and often last for days! It's so frustrating to let my fitness level be dictated by whether my head is pounding or only hurting a little.
  • jon2412
    jon2412 Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    Well I’m wanting to get back to gym but not ready yet :-(
    A small scratch on my left arm from one of my dogs quickly escalated over a week to being admitted to hospital through A&E. Massive infection in my arm, blood tests all going a bit crazy and confirmed signs of sepsis.
    Last 5 weeks I’ve had 3 of them as an inpatient, 5 surgeries (all General) and ended up with a skin graft in my arm (to close a wound from surgery - which if I don’t have I could have lost my arm!)

Physically mostly healed, I’d love to get on a bike and do some weights and generally feel a bit more alive. Trouble is, my body is still in recovery mode and anything I do is like a big challenge and makes me tired. Doc says wait another few weeks before trying!!! Arrrrgghn 🤦‍♂️

Hope everyone else is okay and enjoying Wednesday! 👏
  • sschauer513
    sschauer513 Posts: 313 Member
    Options
    Funny how being in shape gets taken for granted and missed when can't do it. Had kidney and back issues laid up for over a year just started back last month. Then just got a chest cold hard to take deep breaths so laying off till that clears up. Annoying but getting old aint for sissies.
  • yirara
    Options
    Oh no, poor you! Are you sure it's not Corona @sschauer513 ? Take care. Yes, someone always seems to throw a spanner in the works when we feel we're getting better.
  • sarnol33
    sarnol33 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I literally started MFP and just a couple days later came down with influenza A. I have had a full 14 months of having some sort of cold/virus nearly monthly. I would be sick for a week, sometimes longer, recover for a week then have maybe two good weeks before I got a cold again. For me it was an endless cycle. I was severely stressed at my last job so I was constantly sick from that. I made bad food choices because of stress which led to being more sick and then being so sick led to more stress. There was a time or two when being sick so often made me feel depressed but the job didn't help with that either. I switched jobs and am much happier but I believe that year took a toll on my body and it is taking awhile to get everything back to normal. I am seeing improvement though it is slow. I think once I lose that 30 pounds i gained and continue to make healthy food choices I should stop being sick so often. I have found that keeping the work stress minimal, taking a multivitamin, and some yoga helps immensely. Although I still have the flu currently, not being so stressed makes it easier to manage. You'd be amazed at what a little yoga and a multivitamin can do for your mental wellbeing and energy levels.