Are cereal portions tiny or ikea bowls huge?!

Options
seriously?!? One serving is 30g? !? That litteraly just coats an ikea bowl! Which is the problem the 30g recommended portion or the big ikea bowl?!?

Replies

• ItsMeTime
    Options
    probably the big ikea bowl
  • McPenguin
    Options
    Yeah, the ikea bowls are huge. Actually, a LOT of plates and bowls have gotten larger than they need to be. I use my extra big bowls as SALAD bowls only - because you can have way more of that! :)

Look for a children's bowl to eat cereal out of. Seriously - it works. You don't get that "that's ALL I get to eat?" feeling when you get used to eating out of smaller dishes.

Hope that helps!
  • Rowann
    Options
    Servings are tiny in my opinion, and that is why I've pretty much stopped eating cereal. I just wasn't getting enough to keep me going through the morning.

Now I stick with an English muffin with peanut butter or a couple of eggs, and I'm good to go... :)
  • Bethywethy93
    Options
    Probably the ikea bowl lol.
    I honestly have a little bit over the serving of cereal, but only because some cereals have really low calories.
  • Jaytee79
    Jaytee79 Posts: 237 Member
    Options
    I say the serving portions. Cereal never leaves me full. Fruit and yogurt fills up my Ikea bowls much better!
  • kiwi1855
    kiwi1855 Posts: 218 Member
    Options
    Depends on the cereal, but most cereals have a small serving size. Read the labels at the store! I prefer shredded wheat "bales" - 2 biscuits per serving at (I believe it is) 160cals plus milk, or Corn Bran - 1 cup per serving at 120 cals plus milk.
  • TNAJackson
    TNAJackson Posts: 686 Member
    Options
    It's definately the cereal portions... they are ridiculous. Double it and I'd be happy! :laugh:
  • bprague
    bprague Posts: 564 Member
    Options
    I'm thinking both. I've never looked at a portion of cereal and thought "that looks filling!" but big bowls make it seem that much worse. I made some ceramic ones that are small just for portion control, lol!
  • AI1108
    AI1108 Posts: 488 Member
    Options
    both. but who says you cant have 1.5 - 2 servings of cereal if it keeps you fuller longer. I personally have oatmeal when I want to stay full longer.
  • nicksaysnever
    Options
    I eat my cereal out of a coffee mug instead of a bowl - it really does make it feel like you're eating more than when it's served in a gigantic salad bowl.
  • TNAJackson
    TNAJackson Posts: 686 Member
    Options
    Yeah, the ikea bowls are huge. Actually, a LOT of plates and bowls have gotten larger than they need to be. I use my extra big bowls as SALAD bowls only - because you can have way more of that! :)

Look for a children's bowl to eat cereal out of. Seriously - it works. You don't get that "that's ALL I get to eat?" feeling when you get used to eating out of smaller dishes.

Hope that helps!

Gonna try that! Lord knows I have enough children's bowls I could use! :laugh:
  • jmelyan23
    jmelyan23 Posts: 1,664 Member
    Options
    I always thought cereal portions were tiny in comparison to the bowls I was eating out of, but I finally tried using a bowl I would normally put cereal in for my 3 year old (it's like half the size of the ones I normally used). When I did that, it helped me stay fuller on cereal because it actually looked like I was eating a lot. Sometimes you gotta trick your brain!
  • skinnyinnotime
    skinnyinnotime Posts: 4,141 Member
    Options
    Cereal isn't worth having for me as those servings do not fill me up at all.
  • J3NZ0R
    J3NZ0R Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    Just use a smaller bowl — tricks the brain — and eat a cereal that packs more punch per serving size. I eat a seeds/flax/blueberries one that has 220 cals per 3/4 a cup. Toss a 1/2 cup of soy milk on there and you have yourself a satisfying meal!
  • dez_yaoichan
    Options
    Servings are tiny in my opinion, and that is why I've pretty much stopped eating cereal. I just wasn't getting enough to keep me going through the morning.

Now I stick with an English muffin with peanut butter or a couple of eggs, and I'm good to go... :)

i stopped eating cereal as well. too small for me. it makes me feel like ill never get full off just one serving.
  • Dahamac
    Dahamac Posts: 213 Member
    Options
    I've been eating the Kashi Go Lean cereal a lot lately and one serving is 61g. I add a banana and a cup of calcium enriched milk and it makes for a good protein and fiber rich breakfast.

I do get hunger about 2 hours later but during the work week I eat every 2 hours anyway.
  • leslielt
    leslielt Posts: 113 Member
    Options
    The servings sizes on cereal are fine...but it depends on which one you get. I have regular bowls not IKEA and the cereal that I eat fills the bowl so..
  • fortysixpounds
    fortysixpounds Posts: 419 Member
    Options
    I am definitely going to try with the smaller bowl/cup idea. Its so calorific but I just love granola....I will try smaller bowl. Blast you ikea!!! You and your giant bowls!!! shakes fist :)
  • carrie1128
    carrie1128 Posts: 267 Member
    Options
    Yep, you need smaller bowls. I use my kids old toddler sized bowls for most snacks and ice cream. For cereal, I think the serving size is completely fine. I put lots of fruit on top to fill up the bowl (although I know many people here have a problem with fruit, I don't though:wink: ).
  • timtamslam
    timtamslam Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    Tbh, I think it's a bit of both. Bowls are too big but at the same time 30g of cereal really isn't a lot. I regularly eat 70g of cereal in the morning and a weetabix or two lol. But have been trying to limit it to about 50 in the past few weeks. I just love cereal :bigsmile: