Estimating calories without a food scale

I noticed that a food scale is considered extremely important around here. I don't have one. I may get one but until then, how successful can you be without one? And what would you say about having a sort of policy of overestimating calories on everything you eat for those without a food scale? I ask that because it seems to be the case that underestimating is usually the problem.

FYI I have 50 lbs to lose, in the small-obese range, just starting out, lowering my calories gradually.

Replies

• smartin1450
    smartin1450 Posts: 6 Member
    I’ve never used one and I lost with no problems.
  • freda666
    freda666 Posts: 338 Member
    Scales are cheap and guarantee accurate logging so to me it is nuts not to have a set but then I grew up in a part of the world where we always weight so see that as normal and measuring by volume as a little bit strange.
  • ladyzherra
    ladyzherra Posts: 438 Member
    I find a huge difference when using a scale, but I don't do it all the time. I think that when you are new, just developing a habit of logging food is establishing a useful habit, and it has its benefits even if your log isn't completely accurate. Checking in and being accountable makes a difference.
  • missysippy930
    missysippy930 Posts: 2,577 Member
    I think if you have a lot of weight to lose, you can be quite successful without a scale. However, the closer you get to your goal weight, the more difficult it may become. A scale is inexpensive, and worth the investment.
  • serindipte
    serindipte Posts: 1,557 Member
    It's partially going to depend on what kinds of foods you eat. Some are more calorific and more difficult to estimate or measure without a scale.. peanut butter is the first that comes to mind. I just avoided that one all together for the first few weeks before I got my scale.
  • nooshi713
    nooshi713 Posts: 4,877 Member
    edited March 2020
    My deficit is very small so a food scale is vital for me. If you have more wiggle room and are careful, you can probably succeed without one.
  • Lillymoo01
    Lillymoo01 Posts: 2,865 Member
    I lost most of my weight without a food scale or logging. I just made sure I was eating less and moving more. It was all mindfulness with eating and portion control. It was only towards the end when there is very little wriggle room that I joined here and invested in scales. For this reason, I am an advocate that if what you are doing works for you while being sustainable then keep doing it. If it isn't working, stops working, or is not sustainable for long term success then look at different tools that are available to achieve your goals.
  • pink_mint
    pink_mint Posts: 103 Member
    ladyzherra wrote: »
    I find a huge difference when using a scale, but I don't do it all the time. I think that when you are new, just developing a habit of logging food is establishing a useful habit, and it has its benefits even if your log isn't completely accurate. Checking in and being accountable makes a difference.

Yes, I'd agree. Just logging and keeping track of my intake makes a big difference in my food choices. I've decided to be honest with my tracking and there's something about logging 12 oreos with whole milk that's a little painful.

So even without the precision of a food scale tracking seems to really affect my eating behavior. I have been at it for a week and 1/2 so I'll see how things go over the next few weeks to see if what I'm doing is working for me. Down 1 and 1/2 lbs so far. Not much but going in the right direction.
  • JennJ323
    JennJ323 Posts: 646 Member
    I was successful without one, lost quite a bit. But I did eventually get one and it was a big eye opener and I think helped me to lose quicker, as I was being more accurate. Now it's a daily part of my life, weighing everything...
  • Chieflrg
    Chieflrg Posts: 9,097 Member
    edited March 2020
    Consistency is key. As long as you can closely replicate your servings and caloric intake & expenditures, you will be fine.
  • jelleigh
    jelleigh Posts: 743 Member
    Maybe use measuring cups to get started? It won't be as accurate as weighing but much better than eyeballing .
  • amtyrell
    amtyrell Posts: 1,449 Member
    Why do this on the difficult setting. It is hard enough as it is. A scale is simply a tool to help and costs as little as six dollars at Walmart. A fancy version might be 20 dollars . To me that is a cheap and easy investment in life improvement
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    edited March 2020
    OK to use measuring cups to start. If you don't get the weight loss results you're expecting based on the calories logged, spend $10 on a scale.