Skinnygirl Margarita pulled from whole food shelves

Options
It looks like Whole Foods pulled it from shelves. It has the potentially carcinogenic preservative sodium benzoate.

http://www.foxnews.com/entertainment/2011/09/02/whole-foods-removes-bethenny-frankels-product-from-shelves-over-toxic/?test=faces

Replies

• bprague
    bprague Posts: 564 Member
    Options
    well I did think it tasted like death... lol, or rather, not very good
  • capricorn144
    capricorn144 Posts: 335 Member
    Options
    I bet Bethanny is glad she sold the company! :noway:
  • alaw1119
    alaw1119 Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    wow I seriously just almost bought that. went with the zero calorie jose curvo margarita mix. glad I did!
  • infamousmk
    infamousmk Posts: 6,033 Member
    Options
    I bet there are all kinds of things with Sodium Benzoate. I mean, maybe WF doesn't sell those things, but I'm not afraid of it.
  • Dkenny74
    Dkenny74 Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    IM sure if they re-formulate the product will do fine.
    They will just have to add a label that says "Now cancer free"
  • ejmcam
    ejmcam Posts: 533 Member
    Options
    In order for most things to be able to remain on the shelf more than a week, they need to contain something to preserve. I bet it is still way better for you than some of the other options, especially if you are trying to stay away from the artificial sweeteners, etc.....my understanding is it is a very minimal amount, and its just the way whole foods is, they dont carry any of that stuff, which is fine and understandable. I would still choose skinnygirl over the one with the fake sweetener anyday. Or you can always make it from scratch yourself, that way you know EXACTLY what is in it.
  • YukonJoy
    YukonJoy Posts: 1,279 Member
    Options
    IM sure if they re-formulate the product will do fine.
    They will just have to add a label that says "Now cancer free"

I bet it will say Now Cancer Free with Vitamin X for Weight Loss!!
  • aippolito1
    aippolito1 Posts: 4,894 Member
    Options
    Um.... EVERYTHING is a carcinogen. It seems like it anyway. *shrug*
  • SarahRazaq
    Options
    In my humble opinion, alcohol just doesnt mix well with a healthy lifestyle, period. Its legal poison. So it doesnt really surprise me that an alcohol mixer has a dangerous chemical in it. The best way to be healthy for me is to avoid drugs, chemicals, processed foods, and dangerous fats. i've never been healthier in my life. :-)
  • TS65
    TS65 Posts: 1,024 Member
    Options
    Personally, I wouldn't drink it - why? The name is deceiving. 37.5 calories for 1.5oz. (25 calories per oz) Tequila is 97 calories for 1.5 oz.

The average margarita glass holds 9 oz.

7.5 * 25 = 187.5
    1.5 * 90 = 135

That's 322.5 calories for ONE DRINK. And that's the "skinny" version.

I don't know about you, but I've NEVER had just one margarita. Skinny or not.

F-that. Tequila, Crystal lite lemon and a squeeze of lime. Now that's MY kind of skinny margarita. 90 cals. :wink:
  • infamousmk
    infamousmk Posts: 6,033 Member
    Options
    wow I seriously just almost bought that. went with the zero calorie jose curvo margarita mix. glad I did!

Hate to burst your bubble, but the Cuervo mix contains Sodium Benzoate too.
  • Didn't like the taste anyway..
  • alaw1119
    alaw1119 Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    ha awesome. I thought it sounded familiar so I looked it up. it's in all kinds of things. oh well
  • Rae6503
    Rae6503 Posts: 6,294 Member
    Options
    Personally, I wouldn't drink it - why? The name is deceiving. 37.5 calories for 1.5oz. (25 calories per oz) Tequila is 97 calories for 1.5 oz.

The average margarita glass holds 9 oz.

7.5 * 25 = 187.5
    1.5 * 90 = 135

That's 322.5 calories for ONE DRINK. And that's the "skinny" version.

I don't know about you, but I've NEVER had just one margarita. Skinny or not.

F-that. Tequila, Crystal lite lemon and a squeeze of lime. Now that's MY kind of skinny margarita. 90 cals. :wink:

Skinny girl is mostly tequila. Blue Agave Tequila (which is good ****). You don't add tequila too it. 8oz of good strong margarita for 200 calories (it's like a strong tequila-y margarita not a sticky sweet one). Yup. I'll take it.
  • calliope_music
    calliope_music Posts: 1,242 Member
    Options
    i tried the Skinnygirl Margarita and thought it was nasty. i'll take 1 good margarita over a bunch of those gross ones!