Cheat days

Options
Is there anything wrong with having 1 cheat day per week?

Replies

• serindipte
    serindipte Posts: 1,557 Member
    Options
    That's going to depend on how much you eat and if you go over your calories by enough to off set your deficit. I use the weekly average to keep check when I have a higher eating day, like yesterday.
  • missysippy930
    missysippy930 Posts: 2,577 Member
    edited March 2020
    Options
    Nothing wrong with it, if that’s what helps you stay on track.

Personally, I don’t. I plan for special occasions and adjust my total weekly calories so I’m in a total calorie deficit for the week.
  • Lietchi
    Lietchi Posts: 6,109 Member
    Options
    As long as you're still in deficit on average for the week, nothing wrong with it.

I don't like the word 'cheat' though, I don't like ascribing moral values to eating habits. I have some type of 'treat foods' everyday so I don't feel deprived. And I have occasional 'maintenance days' or 'over maintenance days' for special occasions like Christmas, family dinners,... Sometimes this is pre-planned, sometimes it's unforeseen, but I always log everything I eat.
  • 88olds
    88olds Posts: 4,463 Member
    Options
    Well, words mean things. Pay attention to how you talk to yourself.

How about calling it a rest day? As in a rest from tracking, if you really need one. Or a day off? Kinda borrowing that from training recovery days.

The cheating concept of is really tied to diet mentally. Like you’re trying to force something on yourself and you need some kind of rebellion as an outlet. Not great thinking.

Try this- always have a plan. What do you see yourself eating on your day off? Maybe in advance of this you may want to consider the numbers. How do those numbers compare to your maintenance number? If you’re going over your maintenance number, is it a hit to your plan that you’re willing to live with?

It’s an important issue. Do whatever you have to do to have a livable program. Staying power is more important than having the most strict calorie deficit. Weight loss runs on two tracks- losing weight and living with it. Folks go all in on losing and try to beat themselves into living with it. Make whatever compromise you need to make There’s no cheating if it’s part of your overall program.
  • NovusDies
    NovusDies Posts: 8,940 Member
    Options
    I think it is a bad idea because you can't actually cheat and you need to learn to live within your calorie budget most of the time.

You can't cheat because your body will use the calories to either diminish the deficit you have built up or possibly even cause you to be in a surplus and gain weight.

There are different ways to work your weekly calorie budget to have treats. You don't have to worry about occasionally going over your calories but doing it weekly won't be sustainable once you get to maintenance. You can eat slightly less each day and bank those calories for a bigger treat. You may also need to realize that the calorie budget does not need to all be spent on "diet" food or "healthy" food. Yes you need to have balanced nutrition but that should leave room for treats too.

• ladyzherra
    ladyzherra Posts: 438 Member
    Options
    There are definitely mixed feelings about cheat days, as the responses above already show. Like others mentioned, whether or not to have a cheat day really depends on your personal reasons and abilities. I have found that this takes some experimentation. Give yourself the room to try it out. See how it feels for you; notice how it affects your routine. And base your program off that.

At different times in my life, it has either worked or has not worked. Cheat days suit me when I am already in a head space that is focused and healthy; they do not suit me well when I am binge eating a lot or have a lot of emotional eating going on.