Help for confused, 5 foot tall woman?

Options
Hi! I've been on and off the weight loss journey for years now. I was at my lowest (116) about 4 years ago. I stopped restricting calories and slowly the weight crept back on. In January I hit 168 and knew I had to turn things around. I've been dieting/exercising consistently since 1/6/20 and I've lost about 13.5lbs.

Since I'm so short, I've been eating around 1,050 a day. I know that's low, but it's hard to get a deficit at my height. I eat pretty clean: lots of eggs, chicken, yogurt, turkey. Just getting discouraged that I haven't lost more.

Any tips? Eating 1,050 a day I'm just surprised I have not lost more weight.

Thanks for any help!

Replies

• maura5880
    maura5880 Posts: 346 Member
    Options
    @nooshi713 you can lose on 1400? I'm wondering if I am maybe eating too little? But if it is really calories in vs calories out I don't see how I haven't been losing a little bit more?
  • nooshi713
    nooshi713 Posts: 4,877 Member
    Options
    maura5880 wrote: »
    @nooshi713 you can lose on 1400? I'm wondering if I am maybe eating too little? But if it is really calories in vs calories out I don't see how I haven't been losing a little bit more?

Yes but only if I’m really active. When I’m sedentary, I find it hard to lose at all because I have to go below 1200-1300 which isn’t easy to stick to.
  • Sophi_allheart
    Sophi_allheart Posts: 45 Member
    edited March 2020
    Options
    You can try a calculator to see approximately how many calories you need. Try this one. I found it useful. https://tdeecalculator.net

As you lose weight, you may have to adjust how many calories you eat as well. Anyways, good luck!
  • slbbw
    slbbw Posts: 329 Member
    Options
    If you are finding 10,50 hard to stick to you may want to pay attention to how lethargic you feel. When your calorie level is low often times the body will compensate by lowering your NEAT (non exercise activity thermogenesis), or rather the amount of calories you burn throughout your normal daily activity. This can be a bit insidious as it often looks like a bit less fidgeting and a greater desire to sit as opposed to walking around etc. There can be a sweet spot for some where you can increase your calories a bit and stay at the same deficit by increasing your NEAT. Again often times this happens naturally. Generally the recommendation around here is no less than 1200 calories for women. Based on your data that should still give you greater than 1lb per week loss.

There is a thread on NEAT improvement strategies you may find useful. For example I took the stairs 12 flights today which burns ~25 calories. Not a ton, but if I do that twice and add a few laps of my office floor when I take a restroom break I should be able to get an extra 100 calories burned for the day which would be a 10% bump. Also you did not mention excercise. If you are exercising on top of that you should be eating a portion of your calories back, or at least using them to calculate what your baseline expenditure is. Good luck. Changes that are sustainable are always going to be more successful long term than changes that are not.
  • maura5880
    Options
    Thanks for all the insight! I do feel like for the past week or so, my weight loss has stalled. So I'm wondering if I'm eating too few calories, causing my body to hold onto every bit of fat?
  • Avidkeo
    Avidkeo Posts: 3,190 Member
    Options
    maura5880 wrote: »
    Thanks for all the insight! I do feel like for the past week or so, my weight loss has stalled. So I'm wondering if I'm eating too few calories, causing my body to hold onto every bit of fat?

This is normal. Weight fluxuations are a pain in the butt but to be expected.

Double check you are logging everything accurately, that you are weighing everything, and I would strongly suggest you trust the process. It will take time but it took time to put it on.
  • maura5880
    Options
    @Avidkeo Thanks! I'm going to try eating a bit more because I think 1,050 is just too low for my activity level!
  • sophia162
    sophia162 Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'0" and you'll never catch me eating that low of calories (I'd be so hangry, lol). I eat between 1500-1700 calories a day depending on how active I am that day. Currently I am between 128-132 lbs depending on the day. I've lost 20 lbs eating this way. You've lost a considerable amount such a short time which is awesome! But, I'm just saying this to let you know that you can probably comfortably eat more food :)

Excuse me for butting in, fellow shortie here, struggling like heck to stay in her set deficit.

Do you eat 1500 - 1700 calories while continuing to lose weight? Or do you eat that amount to stay at 128-132 lbs (like, maintenance calories)?

I didn't quite understand and it interests me so. If you can clear that up for me, please.