Heart Rate Monitors

Options
Am looking / thinking about one, and wondered:

What do you use?

and

Do your calories compare to those listed on here?

I allow excess calories every day 'in case' they're not accurate on what I burn, and try to be as honest as I can on what I do. I never log physcial stuff like housework/gardening etc as a way of keeping mistakes to a minimum. But I'd like to start working out at the gym in Uni in a few weeks if I have time between classes at all so it'd come in handy then as well as when I'm riding / walking etc.

Any recommendations appreciated - I'd like a wrist watch style I think too although I think they mostly need a strap around the chest to relay the info (is that right)?
I'm a girl so I like girlie things so purple as my fav colour appeals to me. lol

Thanks

Replies

• killagb
    killagb Posts: 3,280 Member
    Options
    MFP's calories burned are really not that accurate, the HRM should be far better, assuming it has the chest strap and such. I use the Polar FT7 myself, it's great!
  • porffor
    porffor Posts: 1,212 Member
    Options
    Ok.. need to get one soon then :)

And duly noted that the chest strap = accuracy. I can't imagine it would have fitted me at the start of my journey. Is it comfortable in a sitting position? I ride horses for my main source of exercise. Thanks will google your model too :)
  • killagb
    killagb Posts: 3,280 Member
    Options
    I use mine for running and I don't have boobs...so not sure if would be as comfortable to you as it is to me! lol
  • bethdris
    bethdris Posts: 1,090 Member
    Options
    I have a Polar FT4 and LOVE it...it has a chest strap and wrist watch. Amazon.com had mine for 58.00. Its very accurate. The numbers on MFP aren't as good. They are only a "guide".
  • porffor
    Options
    I use mine for running and I don't have boobs...so not sure if would be as comfortable to you as it is to me! lol
    LMAO you're successful at running then! ;)

Bethdris thanks I'll check out Amazon - I have ear marked a few on eBay too ;) now.. for the money.. that'll take longer but I'll get there. :)
  • Silverkittycat
    Silverkittycat Posts: 1,997 Member
    Options
    Just got the Polar FT4 and I love it. ♥
  • porffor
    Options
    Thanks. :) appreciating the reviews.. how is the monitor (chest part) when you wear it? can you feel it and does it allow for sitting position ok?
  • kathytexas
    Options
    Polar FT7 is great. If you have insurance see if they have a fitness program that allows you to earn points and get one for free. I got mine for free through Blue Cross Blue Shield (of Texas) by earning points.

I think the heart rate monitor is more accurate for calories burned since it reflects your heart rate. My monitor and this site don't usually match up.
  • kathytexas
    Options
    The chest strap doesn't bother me if I hook it on my left side (on my right side the hook part irritates me...don't know why).

Sitting? It straps around your chest like a belt, but higher up. It doesn't interfere with sitting. You can swim in some of them too.

It goes under my boobs. :smile:
  • kayleeblue
    Options
    Polar FT4...sometimes it pinches but not very often..kinda like a tight bra. sitting not an issue. If you can hold a good seat on horseback you shouldn't have an issue wearing that at the same time. And I love my HRM!!
  • billsica
    billsica Posts: 4,741 Member
    Options
    Polar Bluetooth, if you already have a droid or iphone, it pairs with them.
  • porffor
    Options
    My droid phone is a bit tempremental when it comes to app's I do ride with my phone though so it's an option if it'll put up with it. lol