Meal Ideas for a Picky Eater TT^TT

Options
rattusknits
rattusknits Posts: 2 Member
I'm trying again to lose weight (meh), and I think a large issue for me is that I am a very picky eater and the foods I do eat are obviously not the healthy ones.

Looking for recipes or suggestions for foods that I can prep and keep in the fridge or freezer for the week, especially breakfast and lunch that are easy to eat at work.
I need some options that don't require a fridge for a few hours + don't need heating up (no fridge or microwave at one of my jobs)

Also snack ideas
Any suggestions are good, I can always try them and whatever I don't like my husband will eat lol
Only real "will not eat" is fish, no allergy, just not a fan of seafood of any kind aside from the rare tuna sandwich

And cheaper the better!

Thank you for any input, I'm going to go hunt through the thread too!

Replies

• puffbrat
    puffbrat Posts: 2,806 Member
    Options
    You say you are a really picky eater but the other guidance you gave is that you won't eat fish. It would be helpful to know what you do like to eat.

You might find Pinterest helpful because that is an easy way to find lots of different versions of the same food. Also, it is not too difficult to make the same food have fewer calories when you make it at home versus buying from a restaurant. As an example, if you like burgers try making them at home. Switch up the buns and try different toppings. Add fruit and vegetables as sides rather fries or onion rings.
  • serindipte
    serindipte Posts: 1,557 Member
    Options
    You can make up for the lack of fridge with an insulated lunch box and an ice pack.
  • rattusknits
    rattusknits Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    puffbrat wrote: »
    You say you are a really picky eater but the other guidance you gave is that you won't eat fish. It would be helpful to know what you do like to eat.

You might find Pinterest helpful because that is an easy way to find lots of different versions of the same food. Also, it is not too difficult to make the same food have fewer calories when you make it at home versus buying from a restaurant. As an example, if you like burgers try making them at home. Switch up the buns and try different toppings. Add fruit and vegetables as sides rather fries or onion rings.

I didn't know how to really explain what I will eat, but basically I feel like I eat the same diet as a picky toddler. Chicken fingers, burgers, scrambled eggs, some fruit, hardly any vegetables (I don't like cooked vegetables, and like very few raw), pizza, pasta, bagels

I feel like just really simple foods, less prep/cook time/skill the better. I think I just get lost typing in "easy chicken dinner" and just winding up with 10 things that are basically just baked chicken fingers. If that makes sense? Or just not knowing what to look for in general.
  • vampirequeen1959
    vampirequeen1959 Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    Do you like minced beef? Is it ground beef in the USA? I'm not sure where you are. If you do then you can make lots of disguised veg meals with it. Do you like pulses? What about tomatoes? If you like those then I can give you a spag bol recipe so you can still eat pasta? Do you like curry? If so you can disguise veg again. As to fruit. I've discovered a weird thing about myself. I'm not wild about grapes or satsumas but if I put them together in a bowl and eat with a fork they seem to taste better and are more filling. Don't ask me why it works. It just does for me. But then maybe I'm a bit odd :D
  • jumper3937
    jumper3937 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Unfortunately I don’t have any ideas for you, but I know how you feel. I’m 54 and it sounds like I’m even pickier than you as I don’t like chicken or eggs. I know the struggle to find healthy items that I’ll actually eat which is probably a big reason why weight loss has been a failure every time. Good luck and know you aren’t the only one struggling.
  • busyPK
    busyPK Posts: 3,788 Member
    Options
    Deli meat for easy rollups with a tortilla, cheese, lettuce (if you like that veggie) and some sauce if needed. Or a sandwich would work for lunch. You can use an insulated lunch box. How about Greek yogurt? Popcorn divided out in individual servings would work. For breakfast during the week I typically just have a protein bar and coffee.
  • CupcakeCrusoe
    CupcakeCrusoe Posts: 1,355 Member
    Options
    We live in a great age for low-calorie high-fiber bread/tortillas. Sandwiches. Sandwiches everywhere.
    Also for riced cauliflower. For me, if I dunk it in enough sauce or serve it with enough other stuff, I can't tell I'm not eating rice.

Also, scrambled eggs and chicken is like, 1/3 of my diet, lol. Add fruit and you're off to a decent start. Plus that bread for sandwiches and toast, pfft. And then add in whatever veg you can stomach.

The most important thing for weight loss is reducing calories. How you do it is up to you, but it should be sustainable for you. If you're not going to eat kale or those weird rubber-band noodles (shirataki?) for the rest of your life, don't bother with them now. Just eat what you like to eat, try to make substitutions you like for better health, and just eat a little less than you used to in order to maintain your calorie deficit.
  • AlexandraFindsHerself1971
    Options
    I am someone who is losing weight eating very few vegetables. Alas, between the IBS's opinion of cruciferous vegetables, the fibromyalgia's opinion on nightshades and the fructose intolerance, I have almost nothing left.

I would handle the work issue by getting yourself a heated lunch box. They plug in, and you put your lunch in and three hours later it is hot and ready for you when you have a chance to eat it. And as far as breakfast goes, honestly, right now I'm having an English muffin with butter and sugarfree jam for my breakfast, and eating an early lunch at eleven am. If I had to run longer, I'd put a piece of ham and slice of cheddar on there instead of the butter and jam.

If you want to friend me and stalk my food diary you can see what I'm eating, and the weight loss is happening despite my fondness for Fritos.
  • puffbrat
    puffbrat Posts: 2,806 Member
    Options
    puffbrat wrote: »

I didn't know how to really explain what I will eat, but basically I feel like I eat the same diet as a picky toddler. Chicken fingers, burgers, scrambled eggs, some fruit, hardly any vegetables (I don't like cooked vegetables, and like very few raw), pizza, pasta, bagels

I feel like just really simple foods, less prep/cook time/skill the better. I think I just get lost typing in "easy chicken dinner" and just winding up with 10 things that are basically just baked chicken fingers. If that makes sense? Or just not knowing what to look for in general.

Sorry, I didn't see your reply until now. That makes sense. I used to be just a little less picky than you are so I understand how hard it can be in general and especially when trying to lose weight.

For things like chicken - look into different sauces and marinades to change things up. Many sauces are actually very easy to make and require very little prep. So if you don't like them it's not a big deal. You of course have to be aware of the calories they add but with portion control, it can still be very workable.

Something I have commented on other threads is that I will add zucchini to just about anything. In most cases it adds very low calorie volume with no change in flavor. For instance, you could add shredded zucchini to burgers at home. Just use a cheese grater to shred one zucchini, squeeze the zucchini in a towel to get a lot of the excess moisture out, and then add it to the raw beef. Now make your burgers the same size you usually do. You will get more burger patties and each one will be fewer calories.

Another suggestion of something my husband and I make often is quesadillas. These can be a little higher calorie (I usually just eat half of a quesadilla/one tortilla). A favorite of ours is goat cheese, monterey jack, corn, black beans, and red bell pepper. But you could make it whatever you want. And you could always substitute for a low calorie tortilla. Quesadillas actually stay pretty well in the fridge or you can make the filling before hand and just take a few minutes each day to put it in a tortilla and cook.

For pasta - I love making sauceless pastas. One in particular that I make a lot is garlic, sausage, broccoli, red pepper flakes, noodles, and parmesan. Super fast and easy to make, tastes good, and relatively low calorie.

I know you said simple foods, but pizza is awesome to make at home. It does take some practice, but also allows you to customize not just the toppings but the amounts. So you can make a thinner crust pizza with a little less sauce and cheese, etc. and still have the great taste with fewer calories than a take out pizza.
  • JRsLateInLifeMom
    JRsLateInLifeMom Posts: 2,275 Member
    Options
    Your less picky than my toddler lol 😂. I got the Chef 👨‍🍳 Gordon Ramsey of 2yr olds.

Try Ghughes BBQ Sauce to cheese on top of chicken. Try new products guide yourself that way a few new ones a week.If you hate it avoid .can try unsweetened cashew to almond milk 🥛.Teas crystal light has tons of flavors. Nothing wrong with chicken just try your favorite fruit to veggies with it.