Apple Watch + Nike Run Club? Life after couch to 5k

Options
Hey all,

I did try to search the community but couldn't find an answer to this so hopefully I'm not being stupid asking a repeat question or its in the wrong section

I've just finished the couch to 5k app which was great for motivation but now its come to an end, I want to look at another guided training app to keep me running (music alone doesn't quite cut it :smile: )

The iPhone recommends the Nike running app even in the settings menu so thought I may give it a shot next week. When I go to the gym or run on the road, I generally just take my Airpods and connect it to the watch (cellular) so I don't have to carry the iPhone. Does anyone know if the Nike running app will still give guided runs just using the watch or do you need the phone as well?

Thanks in advance

Replies

• moonangel12
    moonangel12 Posts: 971 Member
    edited March 2020
    Options
    You could always start a 10k plan ;)

Sorry, can’t answer specifically for Nike, but I asked a similar question not too long ago because I am the same way - I enjoy the prompts and it helps push me further than if I am just out there running on my own (music or podcast). Garmin has some options using just the watch, and I am doing a couple through RunKeeper right now - one is just some different running drills, the other is a 10k plan but they would require a phone (I am a bit paranoid so I like having my phone on my, especially if the kids are home alone... my runs are a .86 mile loop in the neighborhood so they are never out of earshot, and only half the time out of sight, but still).

ETA: my previous thread was “Audio “coaching” for running”
  • TravisJHunt
    TravisJHunt Posts: 533 Member
    Options
    The couch to 5k has a couch to 10k version as well. You can just skip the 5k part. I forget which week it says to start on but the app tells you in the details if I remember correctly. The Nike app is a great one, I can't answer the specifics around the watch but I will say its much more involved. Its not simply just do x kilometers. Its going to get your running intervals, speed runs, etc. so just be prepared that its not just an increasing run trainer.
  • MrBellUK
    MrBellUK Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Appreciate the advice, thanks. I'll take a look at your previous thread moonangel12

I was thinking of the 10K but I have limited time in the mornings. Generally I have 30/45 mins to get my workout in before work and too tired after a days work to run 10k :smiley: I think I'll try the 10k app for the weekends when I have more time.

I guess at the moment, I'm trying to fill this void in the week which has built me up to a solid 30 min run. I really like the idea of intervals to really push me in the allocated time I have in the mornings.
  • TravisJHunt
    TravisJHunt Posts: 533 Member
    Options
    MrBellUK wrote: »
    Appreciate the advice, thanks. I'll take a look at your previous thread moonangel12

I was thinking of the 10K but I have limited time in the mornings. Generally I have 30/45 mins to get my workout in before work and too tired after a days work to run 10k :smiley: I think I'll try the 10k app for the weekends when I have more time.

I guess at the moment, I'm trying to fill this void in the week which has built me up to a solid 30 min run. I really like the idea of intervals to really push me in the allocated time I have in the mornings.

Well the Nike app is awesome for mixing it up. I loved it a year ago when training for a 10k. I created a custom plan with the distances I was running each week and what I wanted to achieve and over how many weeks. Voila I was provided a plan that was easy to follow. Plus the coaching was fun and soothing.
  • emmamcgarity
    emmamcgarity Posts: 1,593 Member
    Options
    I used the bridge to 10k podcasts after completing couch to 5k. It’s for 6 weeks and each session is about one hour. So you might have to get up earlier if you wanted to do it in the mornings.

The other thing I did after completing couch to 5k was visit a local Parkrun which allowed me to connect with the runner community. I mostly train alone and didn’t understand the value of being connected. I still train mostly alone but once a week I connect with other runners at the park and over coffee. If you don’t have a Parkrun site nearby look for a local running club.
  • SummerSkier
    SummerSkier Posts: 4,792 Member
    Options
    Map My Run has some guided plans and it does work thru the apple watch. You can pick your poison and it keeps track of your mileage pace etc with a lot of things you can customize. Honestly I strictly went to the Apple Watch fitness ap when I got my watch as it was SO easy to see my pace and hr that I did not feel like I needed Map My run. Of course I am a lazy runner and just do whatever the spirit moves me to do on any given day.