Best Fruits to Eat

Options
OK, experienced friends. My first day on MyFitnessPal. I was using another app to just count one thing, but I started thinking I needed to see more details. So I love that this app shows me the percentage of each component. But I'm APPALLED to see how high in sugar my favorite go-to fruits are! What fruits do you eat that keep you satisfied? I always reached for grapes, clementines and bananas. Now those high numbers are making me want to avoid them. Advice is welcomed.

Replies

• Chef_Barbell
    Chef_Barbell Posts: 6,644 Member
    Options
    No reason to avoid sugar unless you have a underlying medical condition.
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    Do you have a medical reason to avoid sugar?
  • conniewilkins56
    conniewilkins56 Posts: 3,391 Member
    Options
    Almost all berries are great every day...a half of a banana is considered one fruit....tangerines and plums are good, too.
  • summery79
    summery79 Posts: 116 Member
    Options
    If you are taking more of a low-carb approach, berries are your friend. (Technically some things we tend to call veg are actually low-sugar fruits too... cucumber, zucchini, pepper, etc.) Personally, I really limit the added sugars but I do not worry about the natural sugar in fruit.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    lumic69 wrote: »
    OK, experienced friends. My first day on MyFitnessPal. I was using another app to just count one thing, but I started thinking I needed to see more details. So I love that this app shows me the percentage of each component. But I'm APPALLED to see how high in sugar my favorite go-to fruits are! What fruits do you eat that keep you satisfied? I always reached for grapes, clementines and bananas. Now those high numbers are making me want to avoid them. Advice is welcomed.

Are you doing a low carb diet? Do you have a medical condition like Type II for which you need to monitor your carbs and sugars? If not, I wouldn't worry about the fruit. Most fruit has the highest % of calories coming from sugar...but they are also full of micronutrients.

If you're eating so much that it's crowding out other nutrition then that's a different matter. I personally put a premium on vegetables and don't eat a ton of fruit. I tend to eat more fruit in the summer as I love cherries, but only in season. I might otherwise have a banana a couple times per week on my peanut butter sandwiches.

There's no reason to be appalled by your fruit...eating one's fruit is not at the root cause of the obesity epidemic.