Possibly NO cholesterol in chicken???

Options
I contacted a food chain regarding nutrition of a salad they sell. In the nutrition info online they were listing individual items on the salad with the seperate info on each item. On the chicken they were listing "0" cholesterol. I contact the company and they were nice enough to reply that they checked with their supplier and indeed their chicken has NO cholesterol??? I think someone is being duped, is this even possible??? It is just normal chunks of grilled chicken, nothing really weird about the chicken they use.

Replies

• killagb
    killagb Posts: 3,280 Member
    Options
    Sounds fishy.
  • Jill_newimprovedversion
    Options
    maybe the chickens were hatched from Egg Beaters?hahaha
  • infamousmk
    infamousmk Posts: 6,033 Member
    Options
    maybe the chickens were hatched from Egg Beaters?hahaha

LOL!!

OP: You better go ahead and tell us what food chain it was so we can properly determine how stupid they are.
  • infamousmk
    Options
    Sounds fishy.

But does it still taste like chicken?
  • Grokette
    Grokette Posts: 3,330 Member
    Options
    I contacted a food chain regarding nutrition of a salad they sell. In the nutrition info online they were listing individual items on the salad with the seperate info on each item. On the chicken they were listing "0" cholesterol. I contact the company and they were nice enough to reply that they checked with their supplier and indeed their chicken has NO cholesterol??? I think someone is being duped, is this even possible??? It is just normal chunks of grilled chicken, nothing really weird about the chicken they use.

If it is just breast meat, there is going to be very little..............therefore the nutrition labels and the USDA allows for small amounts to be labelled as ZERO.
  • killagb
    Options

If it is just breast meat, there is going to be very little..............therefore the nutrition labels and the USDA allows for small amounts to be labelled as ZERO.

Chicken breast is low, but it's certainly not zero or that close to it.
  • Grokette
    Grokette Posts: 3,330 Member
    Options

if she was looking up salad information and there is only small amounts of chicken breast put on a salad - it might be low enough for them to claim it as 0...........
  • infamousmk
    Options
  • killagb
    Options

if she was looking up salad information and there is only small amounts of chicken breast put on a salad - it might be low enough for them to claim it as 0...........

I guess...if they are using like a quarter ounce of chicken...
  • GillyWI
    Options
    It is Culvers, they are common here in the midwest. Here is a link to the nutrition info, if you go to the "salad" category, just look at any of the salads with chicken, which is most of them (there are some to the right of the dressings, just keep going over), they all list the chicken at "0" cholesterol. No it is not some big bowl of chicken, jus a normal amount on top, maybe 1/2 a breast, so a couple ounces? here is link: http://www.culvers.com/menu/nutrition_facts.aspx
    What I got today was the chicken cashew, no chicken, my wife and I split that, then got 2 fish fillets (yeah I know, deep fried, it was a rare treat, haven't had anything fried, much less deep fried) in a few weeks, then also my wife and i shared a small order of sweet potato fries, yeah, ditto the above comment, I really fell off the wagon today!!!
  • GillyWI
    Options
    My wife says it looked like a small breast, similar in size to what the chain would use in a chicken sandwich. She thinks that's exactly what it is is a sandwich breast they just cut up. I should go back to their site and see what they list for cholesterol in the sandwich, hmmmm.
  • GillyWI
    Options
    Same cal count (126) as their grilled chicken sandwich, still listing zero cholesterol
  • GillyWI
    Options
    Duh, the size of the breast is going by past experience, today I ordered it without the breast, but still curious as to why no cholesterol
  • cheri03
    cheri03 Posts: 172 Member
    Options

this exactly.
  • infamousmk
    Options
    Duh, the size of the breast is going by past experience, today I ordered it without the breast, but still curious as to why no cholesterol

Well, how many ounces do you think the breast is? About the size of a deck of cards? Because that would be approximately 4oz, which is about 94mg cholesterol. Definitely an amount worth noting. I'd call corporate and make a BFD about it.
  • infamousmk
    Options

this exactly.

Even one ounce of chicken breast will contain approximately 25mg of cholesterol, which is above the maximum amount allowed to even call it "lower cholesterol" ... meaning, it is to be listed according to the FDA.
  • GillyWI
    Options
    Got a reply back from the chain. "The lab we used made a mistake". HAH! Anyways they are correct a few things because i brought it up, so thats good. I will try to post the nutritional info he sent. Just in case it doesn't work though, it is 4.5 oz breast and 70mg cholesterol.