Estimating calories without a food scale

Options
2»

Replies

• katarina005
    katarina005 Posts: 259 Member
    Options
    pink_mint wrote: »
    I noticed that a food scale is considered extremely important around here. I don't have one. I may get one but until then, how successful can you be without one? And what would you say about having a sort of policy of overestimating calories on everything you eat for those without a food scale? I ask that because it seems to be the case that underestimating is usually the problem.

FYI I have 50 lbs to lose, in the small-obese range, just starting out, lowering my calories gradually.

I admit sometimes Ive skipped weighing everything and just guess it based on what it seems. But know its not accurate. I would really recommend getting one. If you have a weight scale, you should have a food scale - digital for an accurate reading. I actually just bought a new one because I didnt feel confident in the cheap one I had. It DOES make a difference. You can get a good one for less than $15. I just paid 11.99 for mibe at bed bath and beyond, with my 20% coupon. It works great.
  • corinasue1143
    corinasue1143 Posts: 7,467 Member
    Options
    I lost 60 pounds without a scale. I underestimated more foods than I overestimated. It definitely would have been a mistake for me to subtract a few calories just to be sure. I agree with “be consistent with logging, then adjust your calorie goal, if necessary, to meet your weight loss goals”.
  • pothosgirl
    pothosgirl Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    I had the same question. I just started tracking in MFP again. I do have a scale and have been using it for foods that I can easily overindulge like s’mores cereal, my fave, but when it comes to something like bell peppers on my fajita I guesstimate the amount. Weighing is not that tedious once you start. When I first got my scale I would weight everything for my salad separately and then dump it in a bowl (no wonder why o thought tracking was so hard). Now if I measure things in a salad I dump my fort ingredient press tare then the second press tare the third >tare so on and so forth using the same bowl. It’s so much quicker that way! Good luck to you, I sent you a follow request 🤗🌸
  • pothosgirl
    pothosgirl Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    Sorry about the spelling errors 👆
  • monkeystikx
    monkeystikx Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    I have never used one, but I have also cooked professionally for over 15 years. I have literally portioned thousands of pieces of fish, meat, veggies, starches etc into various portion sizes of ounces etc.
  • spiriteagle99
    spiriteagle99 Posts: 3,686 Member
    Options
    I used measuring cups at first, then just eyeballed. I also tend to exaggerate my portions a bit since I split meals with my husband who usually gets the larger half. It worked for me. I've been maintaining a 50 lb weight loss for 5 years. I also get a lot of exercise and that gets undercounted because I live in a hilly area so burn more calories than expected. For me, logging is what makes the difference because it makes me think twice about what I'm eating. I don't just mindlessly get the most fattening thing on the menu or eat a second cookie. YMMV