Need encouragement

Options
Hi there,
I just need some encouragement and uplifting words right now.
Overall I've lost a LOT of weight over the past few years with some derailments here and there, but lately I had been doing so well. I just got back from a 4-day trip and my weight has jumped 6 lbs. I know this is mostly water weight, but I had been so careful and thought I was doing so well, and it's so frustrating not being able to weigh anything or know even the approximate calorie content of my food. A few days and lots of water intake later and the scale hasn't budged yet. It's now a vicious cycle of eating more crap because I feel so awful.

If it was one trip and done, I wouldn't feel so down, but I have SO many trips planned this spring, as well as dinners and major life changes, and I'm so frustrated with feeling like I can't enjoy things and stay on track at the same time. Even at work there's baked goods and chocolate out every day.

I need a hug.

Replies

• SisterSueGetsFit
    SisterSueGetsFit Posts: 1,212 Member
    Options
    Hugs. Give it a week or so. Travel always causes an uptick for me. Don’t lose sight so the hard work you’ve done.
  • elisa123gal
    elisa123gal Posts: 4,287 Member
    Options
    I feel you on this. My travel hobby makes me regain every single time. At home.. I can get it done..but it wears me down to keep re-losing the same 8 pounds or so gained on a vacation. Just when I lose it. Boom. Time for another trip. The cycle continues. My maintenance has been plagued with this problem.

Thanks for letting me whine with you. It is discouraging..almost to the point where I don't want to travel as much.
  • BZAH10
    BZAH10 Posts: 5,710 Member
    Options
    Hi there,
    I just need some encouragement and uplifting words right now.
    Overall I've lost a LOT of weight over the past few years with some derailments here and there, but lately I had been doing so well. I just got back from a 4-day trip and my weight has jumped 6 lbs. I know this is mostly water weight, but I had been so careful and thought I was doing so well, and it's so frustrating not being able to weigh anything or know even the approximate calorie content of my food. A few days and lots of water intake later and the scale hasn't budged yet. It's now a vicious cycle of eating more crap because I feel so awful.

If it was one trip and done, I wouldn't feel so down, but I have SO many trips planned this spring, as well as dinners and major life changes, and I'm so frustrated with feeling like I can't enjoy things and stay on track at the same time. Even at work there's baked goods and chocolate out every day.

I need a hug.

Congrats on the huge loss and maintaining it! Travel is to be enjoyed so how about trying to be more active while you're away? You don't mention what types of trips or where you're going but personally, vacations for me mean a lot of walking and exploring. It helps offset the good food.

Also, per the bold, use your time at home with your scale to learn approximate portion sizes and calorie and macro counts. Sure the food scale is great to rely on but I suggest using it as a learning tool as well so that you get better at making approximations of your food intake while not at home.
  • ploomka
    ploomka Posts: 308 Member
    Options
    @BarnardSunshine Big huggggggs coming your way. I feel you. I just got back from a trip and gained 4 lbs even tho I walked 25 miles and tried to eat at maintenance and behave at least somewhat.

One thing that has helped me is I pack a bunch of my own food. I make my own flaxseed bread (recipe from nutrition refined blog)— it’s a ridiculously easy recipe (expert baker I am not) and it travels well. I also pack nuts, cheese, and dark chocolate. Plus collagen powder, bouillon cubes, and tea. If you tolerate meal replacement shakes, that’s a good option too. This usually helps but this past time my mom ate all my food grr :angry: I also try to hit up a grocery store and get a case of water and veggies and fruits. This time I was in Vegas tho, so no grocers. Usually this helps me stay in calories range AND saves tons of money.