End of week 1 - may not sound much but...

cherys
cherys Posts: 387 Member
I haven't completed an entire week of weight-loss eating since my twenties and I'm now 55!

I thought I lacked the self-discipline, so I am counting this as a mini-milestone.

Not sure if I've lost any weight yet as my scales are too unreliable to tell. But I know I have drastically reduced my intake, cut out snacks, all sugar and processed foods and the only carbs I've had are tiny portions of oats and brown rice. Very happy to have made it this far. Should take about 6-8 months to get down to the right weight so I need to stay motivated.

Replies

• LouVee186000
    LouVee186000 Posts: 81 Member
    Congrats, i felt the same after my first week!
  • apryl05701
    apryl05701 Posts: 2 Member
    Good for you! I also am in that over 50 bracket. Struggling with self discipline and trying to figure out a exercise routine that wont put me in cardiac trouble. lol Best of luck to you!!
  • quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,442 Member
    Woo hoo! Great work!
  • cherys
    ReenieHJ wrote: »
    For so long in my life, every time I started eating healthy, it lasted until lunch. On a good day, maybe till bedtime. :(

@ReenieHJ - That was me too, for years. Start weight loss plan. Be eating potato chips by midday! Not sure why this time I'm sticking to it, but I've just had enough.
  • ReenieHJ
    ReenieHJ Posts: 9,724 Member
    cherys wrote: »
    Thanks everyone for the thumbs up. I am sticking to this one. I want energy and I want to look good in my clothes again.

It WILL happen. One meal choice at a time!! :)
  • midlomel1971
    midlomel1971 Posts: 1,283 Member
    edited February 2020
    I haven't completed an entire week of weight-loss eating since my twenties and I'm now 55!

I thought I lacked the self-discipline, so I am counting this as a mini-milestone.

Not sure if I've lost any weight yet as my scales are too unreliable to tell. But I know I have drastically reduced my intake, cut out snacks, all sugar and processed foods and the only carbs I've had are tiny portions of oats and brown rice. Very happy to have made it this far. Should take about 6-8 months to get down to the right weight so I need to stay motivated.

Good for you! Don't you feel much better? It's honestly amazing at how better I feel after just a week of healthier eating. Maybe it's in my head, but I feel slimmer and lighter. I hope you are feeling proud of yourself! You've got this!
  • mysteps2beauty
    mysteps2beauty Posts: 494 Member
    Thanks everyone for the thumbs up. I am sticking to this one. I want energy and I want to look good in my clothes again.

Just keep at it. Even if you go over calories, it just helps you see what you are eating, and making adjustments along the way. I drink way more water than I use to. I feel good just tracking that! My goal 60 lbs lost by my 60th birthday this July. (I'm currently at 36 lbs lost and it took me almost a year to get to that, though I lost 6 in the last month cause I just have had enough letting food dictate how I feel and look).

Like you, I want to look better in my clothes and want to have energy and not have bad knees and feet caused by too much weight. Cute clothes and shoes look so much better than tents and orthopedic shoes. LOL

All the best to you!
  • cherys
    Thank you so much for your supportive comments, particularly since I went out and bought scales that work today, and found out I'm 4lb heavier than I thought my start weight had been. So after a week of being careful I now have a new, heavier - but accurate - weight. This has just made me more determined though.

@live2skide - I like your idea of having short term goals rather than just the end goal. Think I'll set myself a goal of 4lb in the next month which at least brings me back to where I thought I was.

@mysteps2beauty - yes - cute clothes and shoes instead of tents and orthopaedic shoes
  • cherys
    @midlomel1971 - I feel a bit better. What I really like is that I am not getting cravings any more. I used to get really ferocious cravings for carbs, but since cutting out all refined carbs and sugars, they've gone. I sometimes 'want' a bag of potato chips but that's not the same as feeling a raging need for them. I think I'm very susceptible to carb cravings.
  • RenaSkam
    RenaSkam Posts: 16 Member
    Yippee!!!! SO happy for you! I'm 53 and never went more than a week either but I started this journey on Sept 23rd, 2019 and have not stopped since! Every little thing is a victory for YOU, celebrate it, rock it, you got this!!
  • TravisJHunt
    TravisJHunt Posts: 533 Member
    Changing a lifestyle takes more than a few days so you should be proud on your first week. Its the first step and one of the hardest because you had to make the decision to do it. Keep killing it!
  • brettrobb
    brettrobb Posts: 8 Member
    I am just coming to the end of week one of tracking for the first time ever at 45. I have gained and lost 100s of pounds but still struggle - hoping this tracking is a life long tool that will keep me on track. I was afraid to weigh at the start and haven't in years but after a week of MFP I felt strong enough to get on the scale and really see - at least now I know.
  • Treab123
    Treab123 Posts: 22 Member
    Just reached my 60 day milestone and 26.25lbs down 23stone to 21st 1.75lbs as of today... onwards to my first major goal of being 18stone still overweight but a huge improvement for me
  • mariepar
    mariepar Posts: 13 Member
    All the posts are so inspiring! First week down(weigh in tomorrow) but feel lighter, more mindful and first time in a while I’ve made it through a whole week!
    I’m 57 and have about 70lbs to lose- first goal is the 100s and then next is non-plus size etc... this time does feel different- health is primary goal not vanity(although the tents and orthopedic shoes comment resonated)!
    In the past I started w a bang at the gym and it’s ended quick with a whimper. Too fast/too hard/not 21. Easy does it - hopefully slow and steady will win the race this time.
    Started with some gentle walking this week- will try the gym next week- yoga and some weights plus more walking. Will be a big step up from car-office-couch.
    A bit daunting overall but time will pass regardless and I found this week looking forward to what I CAN eat vs what I can’t helped a lot.
  • fdlewenstein
    fdlewenstein Posts: 231 Member
    One week down is an accomplishment. Now you know you can succeed week two. Be patient and consistent. I started my weight loss journey in August (down 57 pounds) and I still have to remind myself to be patient. If I am consistent...it happens. I found that using a weight tracking app, like Happy scale or Libra, can be useful. It shows your weight loss trend. This really helped me to keep things in perspective. I don't freak out as much when I gain 0.2 of a pound! Also, keep in mind there are many variables that can affect weight fluctuations and that is normal.

Take one day at a time! Celebrate every small step forward. Best of luck.
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!