Keto cooking question

Options
How can you make a keto friendly birthday cake? How can you adapt a traditional recipe? I don’t know if the measurements would be the same from traditional sugar to a sugar replacement like swerve or similar. I want to make a Black Forest cake for my daughter birthday but I want to be able to partake with her. It’s a really special cake with lots of cherries her most favorite fruit. Would a traditional measuring of flour be the same for an alternative flour? Thanks if you can help 😊

Replies

• angelexperiment
    angelexperiment Posts: 1,917 Member
    Options
    I was thinking this too
    Different flours impact baking differently, so unless you're willing to experiment, the easiest way to do it would be to find a recipe specifically for the flour you're planning to use.

Note that the texture and even the taste of the cake may be really different from what your daughter is expecting, especially if you're using sugar substitutes on top of that. It may be kinder to make her the cake she prefers and do a smaller keto version for yourself.

• janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    cwolfman13 wrote: »
    How can you make a keto friendly birthday cake? How can you adapt a traditional recipe? I don’t know if the measurements would be the same from traditional sugar to a sugar replacement like swerve or similar. I want to make a Black Forest cake for my daughter birthday but I want to be able to partake with her. It’s a really special cake with lots of cherries her most favorite fruit. Would a traditional measuring of flour be the same for an alternative flour? Thanks if you can help 😊

Don't make your daughter your diet cake. Make her the cake she likes...she's not on your diet. Make a keto cake for yourself or go off plan and just have some cake that day.

My brother is on a special diet to address some health issues. When his kids have their birthdays, they get regular birthday cake. They don't have his health issues. When it's his birthday, he gets to pick the treat. It just seems like common sense to me - a birthday is to celebrate the person who was born that day.
  • Tumbles617
    Tumbles617 Posts: 16 Member
    Options

I check out All Day I Dream About Food
    On Facebook
    She’s the best Leto food blogger out there and her recipes are great.
    She has good cake recipes.

Also you can find a conversion chart for keto sweeteners if you google it
  • deepwoodslady
    deepwoodslady Posts: 11,163 Member
    edited March 2020
    Options
    I also suggest you make a traditional cake for your daughter so there will be not surprises. Sometimes the alternative flours do not get the raise/lift you would need for a large full-sized cake. For yourself I would get a great recipe on youtube for a mug cake. Cooking yours would probably take two minutes of less and leave you more time to focus on everything else party related for your dear daughter. Happy birthday to her! I hope you will both enjoy!
  • angelexperiment
    angelexperiment Posts: 1,917 Member
    Options
    I actually made it flour free ( traditional flour) it turned out great and she loved it. Made the whip cream the traditional way and the ganach. And of course the cherries i made an alamande that turned out perfect i made with stevia and ground chia that was pwrfect for he syrup part. I topped with the canned cherry in syrup on top of ganach. This was absolutely delicious!