Need Vegetable ideas

Options
greybeh
greybeh Posts: 72 Member
Hey folks... I really need some veggie ideas! How do you like to season your veggies? Any favorite quick recipes? I'll take frozen, canned, fresh... whatever.

Thanks in advance!

Replies

• cedarhurst2006
    cedarhurst2006 Posts: 378 Member
    Options
    Tonight we grilled veggies. I brushed portabella mushroom caps and asparagus with olive oil and sprinkled with salt, pepper and garlic powder. Awesome!!!!!!!!
  • HoopFire5602
    HoopFire5602 Posts: 423 Member
    Options
    Green giant valley fresh steamers or birdseye steamfresh. They are in the frozen section. Just heat up and serve. I eat at least one bag a day.
  • jenkamac
    jenkamac Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    my recent favorite - and since it's summer time and this is a fresh choice - is corn on the cob (cut if off so you have a bowl of kernels), black beans, avocado and lime juice and salt. It's amazing. I do not cook my corn - I take it fresh off the cob, it's juicier and I think much tastier that way. I either eat this on it's own or put it on top of fish or chicken. You can also add red onion if you like or cilantro. MMMMM...so tasty! Now I'm hungry.
  • TOBUNNZYE
    Options
    SOMEONE SAID TO GRILL THEM - I WONDER IF THEY MEANT ON THE CHARCOAL BBQ GRILL OUTSIDE. I DID THAT FOR THE FIRST TIME IN MY LIFE AND I NEVER THOUGHT A VEGGIE COULD BE HEAVEN.
  • JENIFER_AZ
    JENIFER_AZ Posts: 235 Member
    Options
    roasted red peppers or roasted eggplant, YUM!
  • brashchick
    brashchick Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Put squash or slices of eggplant under the broiler after brushing them with olive oil. Season them with salt and pepper, garlic if you like that, or some Italian seasoning.

I also experiment with cooking my frozen veggies, then letting them cool off and trying different salad dressings on them. Sort of like a salad with less work.
  • grassette
    grassette Posts: 976 Member
    Options
  • yeabby
    yeabby Posts: 643 Member
    Options
    We roast most anything; asparagus, green beans, broccoli, kale, etc. A little olive oil, salt pepper and you're done. Easy and yummy.
  • alohabrie
    Options
    I'm a roaster of veggies. Cauliflower, broccoli, green beans - all are soooooooo much better roasted in the oven. 425 degrees F - add a tiny bit of olive oil, salt, pepper. They all take different times - depending on how you like your veggies. I like crunchy so cauliflower ~ 15 minutes, broccoli ~5, green beans ~3-5 minutes. Sometimes add fresh thyme, chopped garlic, red pepper flakes. Yum!
  • suzooz
    suzooz Posts: 720 Member
    Options
    I've been eating alot of frozen vege's lately -- I am into the Healthy Colors, which are lightly sauced, and about 40 calories / serving.

I will also use flavored olive oils when I stirfry -- I really like the Monini White Truffle olive oil.
  • greybeh
    greybeh Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    I totally, totally jaw-dropped. I just posted this and got 8 responses. You folks are awesome! Keep it coming! I need all the help I can get. Ooooh, this sounds so totally yummy!!! Thank you!!!
  • NiciS72
    NiciS72 Posts: 1,043 Member
    Options
    Asparagus with Lemon and Tarragon

1 bunch of asparagus about 1 1/4 lbs with woody bottoms removed and cut diagonally into 2 inch pieces
    1 T water
    1 T olive oil
    1/2 t finely grated lemon zest
    2 t fresh lemon juice
    1/4 t salt
    pinch of freshly ground black pepper
    1 t chopped fresh tarragon

Place the asparagus in a microwave-safe bowl with the water, cover tightly and microwave on high for 2 minutes. Drain well.
    While the asparagus is cooking, whisk together the oil, lemon zest and juice, salt and pepper in a small bowl. Pour the dressing over the asparagus, add the tarragon, toss and serve.

Serving size 1/2 C
    Calories 60
    Fat 4g
    mono 2.5g
    sat 0.5g
    protein 3g
    carb 6g
    fiber 3g
    sodium 148mg
  • adross3
    adross3 Posts: 606 Member
    Options
    Snack : Stuffed Red Pepper or Pasilla.
    178 Calories : 24g Protein : 17g Carbs : 1g Fat

The Pasilla is a bit thinner. Only cook it 10 min

Peppers - Sweet, red, raw, 1 large )
    Nonfat Feta Cheese, 1.6 oz
    1 Fresh Garlic Clove
    Red Onion 2 Tablespoons
    Mushrooms raw 3/4 cup
    Real Turkey Breast 1.6oz

· Spray the red pepper with pam. Throw the red pepper on the top of the grill or stove burner. Yes stove burner.
    · Cook on med/hi until the side is fairly black. Flip and repeat until all sides are done.
    · Scrape off the blackened part. Be gentle enough not to go thru the pepper.
    · Mix or blend all of the items
    · Put pepper into a coffee cup or bowl in the stand up position.
    · Stuff the red pepper.
    · Cook for 15 min at 425.

Enjoy Joy

Great low calorie snack. No, it is not immediate. The micronutrients are phenomenal. Potassium, Iron and the whole works.
  • Rachaelluvszipped
    Rachaelluvszipped Posts: 768 Member
    Options
    Yum!! Bump:flowerforyou:
  • Jorra
    Jorra Posts: 3,338 Member
    Options
    I put fresh spinach in my protein shakes, can't even taste it in the end. I also put frozen spinach in pretty much any dish, especially pasta.

One of my favorite websites for new recipe ideas is supercook.com. You can enter the foods you already have in your pantry and it will show you recipes you can make right away! You can also choose to highlight particular foods you want to use.
  • girard5
    girard5 Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    Veggies are amazing and u can doing awesome things with them! I recommend stocking up on them when you do your shopping and when you get home cut them up and stick them in baggies for easy snacks and meals - you will really find that you eat so muchmore when they are convenient! Here are a couple of my cauliflower favs!

Cauliflower 'rice' - take raw cauliflower florets and throw them in a food processor with some Onions and garlic and depending on what your pairing it with with will depend on the seasonings - I.e for Mexican I throw in some red peppers and cilantro and cumin and once pureed I throw them in a pan with a little veggie stock (you can use beef or chicken too) and then sauté it until tender. it's a great substitute for rice! You can use this for a healthy version of Asian fried rice or any other kind of rice dish as well!

Cauliflower mashed 'potatoes' - cut up cauliflower and cook it with some onions and garlic and your favorite herbs with some stock and once tender throw it in a food processor until smooth - if you increase the stock amount you can also make an amazing cauliflower soup reminiscent of potato soup But with a lot less cals
  • sinclare
    sinclare Posts: 369 Member
    Options
    i'll steam some veggies for dinner, than add the cold leftover ones for my salads the next day.

I like beets roasted in the oven. then I cool them, peel, slice, and wow! great on salads.

I also like to add veggies to already made soup--ie,store bought or take out. The soup goes farther that way.
  • ladybg81
    ladybg81 Posts: 1,553 Member
    Options
    Grilling anything is awesome. One thing I've recently discovered:

Roasted broccoli and garlic
    Take a head of broccoli and cut off florets. Use 1-2 garlic cloves (more depending on taste), salt and pepper. Spray a dish with Pam olive oil spray. Throw all the ingredients into the pan and stick in the oven on oh, maybe 425 until the broccoli reaches desired doneness. The next step is crucial. cut up just a little of Velveeta and stir it in. We use just enough to coat. I hate broccoli but I would eat this everyday. The garlic really breaks the bitterness of the broccoli.
  • MyGoodLife
    Options
    Saving this!
  • Care563
    Care563 Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    I fry up some onion and garlic in a soup pot with a tiny bit oil, go through my fridge and throw in any veggie i can find. (clean and chop first) then I add veggy broth for an amazing soup. Bring to a boil and simmer for 20 minutes. I usually add salt/pepper/ thyme and red pepper chile flakes. Almost zero calories a bowl and its warm and delicious and surprising filling.