Stuck in a starve/binge cycle again.

Options
And I don't know how to get myself out. I haven't eaten breakfast or lunch in the past week. I've been eating carrots sticks and apple slices for dinner at 6:00pm, convincing myself that I should eat normally by 7:00pm, and then 8:00pm or 9:00pm, I feel like I've failed so bad, that I might as well eat some more... And more... And more. I've binged 6 nights out of the 7 this week. True, they're small binges compared to the 5000-6000 calorie ones I sometimes have, but they're adding up nonetheless. I don't have the energy to exercise it all off, so I try fasting the new day. I know that I should eat breakfast and lunch, but after a nighttime binge, I literally can't bring myself to eat anything until later that night... And once I get started eating, I can't stop. Any advice from fellow non-purging bulimics?

Replies

• bearsfan68
    bearsfan68 Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    It kind of sounds like you punish yourself for bingeing. If you binge the night before just get up and eat healthy and give yourself a break. If you starve yourself during the day your going to binge at night because your starving. Forgive yourself for the night before and move on.

Good luck on your journey.
  • dragonbug300
    dragonbug300 Posts: 760 Member
    Options
    If I had an answer for you, I'd be a happy gal. I'd really love to know if anyone else has found a way around this... my problem is, with the late night bingeing (my habits are similar to yours) I don't let myself fall asleep, setting myself up for exhaustion and carb cravings the next day.
  • mmcbutterpants
    mmcbutterpants Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    sounds to me like you are suffering from a compulsive overeating/undereating disorder.
    There are others just like you (and me) and they meet and help each other gain sanity over food.
    check out www.oa.com
    read the checklist....it might just sound familiar.
    You don't have to live your life compelled to eat or not to eat. There is hope for a normal relationship with food.
  • whatwentwrong
    Options
    pretty much the same advice as bears :) i was a huge binger- didn't eat all day, then ate 4000 calories at night. just, forget the previous day, and work on eating healthy for a new day. if it doesn't work, oh well, you have plenty of days to try :D eventually you'll get the hang of it :)
  • Dootzy1
    Dootzy1 Posts: 2,215 Member
    Options
    Congratulations on the weight loss. You definitely know what to do, with that kind of loss. Now get your head out of your behind and get back in the game. What made you decide to sabotage yourself? What in your life is overwhelming for you right now? Maybe that's what needs taking care of first. Identify trigger foods....avoid them, until you are in control again. Get out of the environment for awhile, during the risky times...... Make a serious attempt to eat something for breakfast and lunch. Make small attempts to turn this around, until it works. It isn't all or none. No one's perfect. It's about making progress in the right direction. Forgive yourself, stop beating yourself up.....move on.
  • JamesonsMommy
    JamesonsMommy Posts: 771 Member
    Options
    I find myself snacking the most at night.. so i eat a dinner that is very high in protein and no carbs (between 7 and 8 because i don't go to bed till almost midnight). (well there may be a few in the veggies but i'm talking about pasta and stuff) Just have healthy snacks available for night time.. skinny cow heavenly crisp candy bars are the bomb :) good luck!
  • pippifax
    Options
    I think the best you can do is take it one step at a time, try not to think ahead saying "I can eat this now if I starve tomorrow" and likewise, don't think about the past too much with things like "if I don't eat anything today, it'll make up for the binge I had last night." Just take it one step at a time, and do your best at that exact moment. I'm in a similar pattern, and this is what I'm striving for.. it's hard, but I think it works!
  • bmqbonnie
    bmqbonnie Posts: 836 Member
    Options
    I've so been there. I guess the big thing to keep in mind is it's never too late to start anew. If you had 3 cookies more than you feel like you should, that is no reason to eat 12 more. Put them down, recognize you made a mistake, and move on with your life. Every moment counts, it's not like each day is really separate from the next and one is wasted while the next is successful. It all averages out. Wake up, have a filling and healthy breakfast and I think things will pan out much nicer for you. I know they do for me.
  • Nmhahn14
    Options
    I would say the best advice would be to not have the bad foods in your surroundings. I find myself eating much more when the food is right in front of me. Also having a good support system. Sometimes when I want something bad I tell my fiance and he will tell me no, I get mad and pout but when I wake up the next day I'm SO much happier. Or if you feel like a friend or family member isn't enough, consider going to an over eaters group. It sound kind of crazy but these eating habits are most likely just as dangerous as other eating disorders. Even though I say don't have the bad around, you still shouldn't deprive yourself of everything. If you feel like you could control yourself then allow yourself to have a little cheat day. Not a day where you eat everything, but a day where you eat what you've been craving. I'm sure it's hard, but just remember you're not alone, and remember what the end goal is. And look at what you've already done! That's just amazing, what an inspiration :)