Irritable Bowel Syndrome(IBS) & KETO

Options
Hi there! A little over 6 months ago I was diagnosed with IBS-M which is a mix of IBS C & D. Lucky me right?!

My doctor suggested using the FODmap diet to help relieve symptoms. I have been doing research about FODmap and it's similarities to KETO, and how 77% of KETO eaters noticed a significant improvement in IBS symptoms.

I have been lowering my carb intake for 5 days, and I have noticed a significant decrease in my belly inflammation, and I've lost about 4 pounds of what I assume is water weight.

Has anyone else with IBS had success with KETO?
Any tips? Snack ideas?

Thanks!

Replies

• gt0186b
    gt0186b Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    I have IBS and it has become very controlled with diet. I don't exactly do KETO but a form of Paleo that works out to be low carb. I find the biggest irritants to my IBS are processed grains and certain types of oils. I can tolerate small amounts of rice and legumes but find I fell better if I mostly avoid them.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,393 MFP Moderator
    Options
    Hi there! A little over 6 months ago I was diagnosed with IBS-M which is a mix of IBS C & D. Lucky me right?!

My doctor suggested using the FODmap diet to help relieve symptoms. I have been doing research about FODmap and it's similarities to KETO, and how 77% of KETO eaters noticed a significant improvement in IBS symptoms.

I have been lowering my carb intake for 5 days, and I have noticed a significant decrease in my belly inflammation, and I've lost about 4 pounds of what I assume is water weight.

Has anyone else with IBS had success with KETO?
    Any tips? Snack ideas?

Thanks!

I don't have IBS but the cases i have seen on here have been mixed on Keto. Ultimately, its more about eliminating the triggers. Often AIP and restrictive diets (keto, paleo, whole30) do that naturally. You can always start with one of the protocols and adjust based on results.
  • angelexperiment
    angelexperiment Posts: 1,917 Member
    Options
    I have ibs c, i have done keto, low carb, paleo, carb cycling. I jave found i cannot overdo bread or pay the price so low to moderate carb works better i do better limiting raw veg to half a cup cause too much raw veg on a new diet wrecks my tummy, i have also done vegan. I do better it seems when i cut out breads to once a week, rice once a week i have more regularity when ive upped my fiber/fats ( keto) but another thing that wtecks me is too much ibuprofen / acetominophen. Im sensitibe to certain stevia brands w erythritol. Before i started this new diet i was not having any gut pain but just my usual constipation. Wasnt eating much veg fruit or moderate meat but not everyday. Having a sandich every two days. Not a great diet at all really what i was typically eating, i find chia is really the only thing that keeps me going bc when i dont eat it i dont go tbh. I hadgot this superseed smoothie mix which i took daily and i could go daily but soon as i stopped it i stopped going daily.
  • sparky44444
    sparky44444 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Have had IBS-D since early childhood. Have had multiple decades experience with low Fodmap diet, AIP, probiotics, Xifaxin, etc. About eight months ago, I found a functional med dr. In Taos NM who turned me on to Glutamine Plus. Absolute game changer. A year ago, I couldn’t walk more than a mile... and had developed allergies to almost every food group. A few months ago, I celebrated a five mile hike in the Rocky Mountains! My tummy feels incredible! A daily dose of Miralax certainly helps too! Now... for the Keto experience. 15 days ago, I started a very disciplined Keto diet. No processed or packaged food. Meat. Limited above ground veggies and avocado...eggs, walnuts, etc. Also only eat from noon to 7 every day. I feel better than I have EVER! Never realized how much my body hated the carbs. No more cramps. No more tummy aches every single time I put a piece of food in my mouth. I’m taking it slow... have only lost about two pounds (not overweight)... and feeling amazing! There’s hope! Keep experimenting.