Who uses Dr. Doug Lisle's work successfully?

Options
What's the basic concept? How has it worked for you?

Replies

• eric2light
    eric2light Posts: 113 Member
    Options
    I'm very much liking what he said in this youtube video. Folks, can you give me a hand here? I think he is part of Forks Over Knives...
  • kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,013 Member
    Options
    Never heard of him, sorry.

In general though, I use YouTube for entertainment and get my health and nutrition info elsewhere. It can be tricky to vet sources on yt, and very easy to get caught up in the entertainment value of an "expert" without thinking as critically as I should.
  • Katmary71
    Katmary71 Posts: 6,555 Member
    Options
    I've listened to him on You Tube and read his book The Pleasure Trap. I don't fully agree with him, I could eat the heck out of some butternut squash, apples, and frozen blueberries and gain weight off of it! I think some of us need to keep track and just eating whole foods doesn't mean you won't overeat but I'm also on a medication that causes me to feel hungry most the time so if I ate until satisfied I'd be stuffed and huge. I DO think it would be interesting to go to True North if I was able to do so. I'm not whole-foods plant-based, just eat a lot of vegetables and beans/legumes and enjoy the recipes and increasing plant foods in my diet and learning more about other ways of eating. He reminds me a lot of the psychologists I studied under in college.
  • eric2light
    eric2light Posts: 113 Member
    Options
    Katmary71 wrote: »
    I've listened to him on You Tube and read his book The Pleasure Trap. I don't fully agree with him...

So, you never actually tried eating zero concentrated calories, vegan health food / whole foods for a few months? Or have you?

I used to be macrobiotic... no dairy, no meat, some fish... I was a lot lighter than I am now, but not slim. But for sure I wasn't informed by the concept that eating nothing that was concentrated calorically would allow my stretch detecting mechanisms to direct my eating quantity. I would eat rice dreams ice cream often, which would make my previous diet not a good test of his theory.

For health reasons, I'd like to explore vegan health food / whole foods for a few months anyway. Hmmm...

• psychod787
    psychod787 Posts: 4,088 Member
    Options
    I like the Dr. I think he is a really nice, caring man. I have listened to his talks and read his books. Some makes sense. I think he sells his own angle, but not the worst advice. Some of his ideas are based on research, some is not. He is a Psychologist, not a nutritionist. Has he helped me? Yes.
  • psychod787
    psychod787 Posts: 4,088 Member
    Options
    Katmary71 wrote: »
    I've listened to him on You Tube and read his book The Pleasure Trap. I don't fully agree with him, I could eat the heck out of some butternut squash, apples, and frozen blueberries and gain weight off of it! I think some of us need to keep track and just eating whole foods doesn't mean you won't overeat but I'm also on a medication that causes me to feel hungry most the time so if I ate until satisfied I'd be stuffed and huge. I DO think it would be interesting to go to True North if I was able to do so. I'm not whole-foods plant-based, just eat a lot of vegetables and beans/legumes and enjoy the recipes and increasing plant foods in my diet and learning more about other ways of eating. He reminds me a lot of the psychologists I studied under in college.

Well, I can't speak for the medication issues for you, but the "Average" person would have issues eating those foods and not losing weight. Just plain apples, blueberries, and winter squash. No salt, no oil, no sugar. N=1 experience! Lol.