Question on cardo and weights

Options
Hi all..

I am trying to get into exercising again and weight lifting. I am rather large over 290lbs so I want to lose weight and not lose muscle. I mainly ride a recumbent exercise bike and walk for my cardio and I have a weight machine and free weights for me weight lifting. My problem is I tend to over do it, working out too much and hurting myself. So my question is what would be a good start up program, how often to ride the exercise bike and how many times a week to lift weights? Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you for your time..

Replies

• missbuterfly
    Options
    I started with a personal trainer in Feb. We did strength training mondays, wednesdays, and fridays for 30 to 45 mins and i did cardio 6 days a week for 30 mins. Switch it up on cardio between brisk walk and bike. There are good workout routines on fitnessmagazine.com...start with light weights more reps. :)
  • ashesoh1234
    ashesoh1234 Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    I'm working with a trainer, and she advised me to do strength training three times a week and cardio 5-6 times a week,
  • tiggr62
    tiggr62 Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    I would do bike one day and weights the next, but that is me. You could do bike one day rest the next weights the next and rest the next and so on. That may be a good way to build up while not over doing it. It's great that you are getting back into it. Good luck on your journey.
  • jpatrickwinstead
    Options
    Try this:

1) Do about 3 hours per week of low level cardio - this can be walking or riding the bike. Keep you heart rate between 55-75% of your maximum heart rate. This is much less exertion than you probably think of as "exercise". Probably just walking will do that.

2) Once per week do "sprints". This can be jogging or biking. Go as fast and hard as you can - getting your heart rate above 90% maximum - for 30 secs to a minute. Then slow down and let your heart rate slow for a couple of minutes. Then repeat. Keep repeating for 10-15 minutes.

3) Start lifting weights, two or three days a week. I'd recommend the book The New Rules of Lifting for Abs by Lou Schuler.
  • msjac23
    msjac23 Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    I lift weights 3 times a week, taking a day of rest in between my weight lifting to give my muscles a chance to growth since they grow at rest. You also have to feed them protein. So I drink a Whey Protein Shake within 30 - 45 minute of my workout. I do cardio 5 times a week, on the days I weight training and in between. Essentially my schedule looks like this:

Mon - Weight training 30 minutes and 45 minutes of Cardio
    Tue - 30 - 45 minutes Cardio
    Wed - Weight training and Cardio
    Thurs - Cardio
    Friday- Weight Training and Cardio
    Sat - Rest Day unless I miss a day during the week, then its a make up day.
    Sun- Rest

I also drink a Casein Protein shake at bed time every night. The difference Whey is fast digesting, you need it after work for active recover. Casein feed your muscle at night during rest. It is slow digesting that why it is better at bed time or when you are going long periods of time without food.

I hope this helps
  • helper1112
    helper1112 Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    Thanks all for the information and ideas. I was not sure if it was good to do cardio 5 days a week or if that was too much or not.

Thanks again..:smile: