totally defeated today

Options
today feeling totally defeated. logging everything for the past 3 weeks all with calorie deficits. Working out 6 days a week. was down 21lbs and 14 inchs down and today the scale said i was 6lbs heavier.

Replies

• katarina005
    katarina005 Posts: 259 Member
    Options
    today feeling totally defeated. logging everything for the past 3 weeks all with calorie deficits. Working out 6 days a week. was down 21lbs and 14 inchs down and today the scale said i was 6lbs heavier.

Same for me, no junk food and still, gained 2 pounds. I attributed it to, the body trying to restore its old balance and what it's used to. But so frustrating!
  • Babygirl_6916
    Babygirl_6916 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    sarabushby wrote: »
    Definitely a blip, give it a week and I’m sure most if not all of the 6lb will have come back off.
    Have faith! You’re doing all the right things except for potentially going at it a little too aggressively unless you’re significantly overweight as 21lb in 3wks is an extreme rate of loss not appropriate nor sustainable for the vast majority of people.

I have about 55 lbs to loose total. as always first bit comes off easy then the struggle begins. Hubby thinks its because I tend to get stronger . not going crazy just healthy choices and turbo jam. now sitting at 176 with 36lbs to go.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,218 Member
    Options
    This is a really good read:

https://physiqonomics.com/the-weird-and-highly-annoying-world-of-scale-weight-and-fluctuations

It's almost certainly the case that temporary water weight (a normal thing in healthy bodies - read the link) is masking your continuing fat loss on the scale.

To gain 6 pounds of fat, you'd need to eat around 21,000 calorie over and above your maintenance calories. I'll bet you haven't, so it isn't fat. It's almost certainly water, and it will be gone soon.

Hang in there: Best wishes!
  • opalbeaulieu
    opalbeaulieu Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    That graph says it all!! I used to call the scale the "random number generator" before I learned to look fr the overall trends.
  • cherrylou123
    cherrylou123 Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    Non scale measure is much better 😉.. You will still know thay you are losing not by scale but by the clothes that you are wearing.. If your old clothes are getting bigger then you are still losing fats
  • GettinLean19
    GettinLean19 Posts: 452 Member
    Options
    What kinds of exercise 6 days a week? Excessive intense exercise can put your body in a chronic stress state which leads to higher cortisol levels. Higher cortisol is linked to higher visceral/abdominal fat levels because of how it impacts your blood glucose. I don’t know a ton about it but with exercise I know more isn’t always better..
  • mkculs13
    mkculs13 Posts: 612 Member
    edited March 2020
    Options
    Try not to worry about it--My scale dropped 10 lbs in the first 5 days, and went up 9 on day 6. I wasn't worried--there was no way I lost 10 lbs of fat in five days, and I figured I must have flushed some garbage out of my system and then restored the fluids I lost in the flush. You didn't lose 21 lbs in 21 days, either, and won't know "for real" until you settle into a longer pattern. Be careful about trying to rush the process. Remember that 2 lbs/week is pretty aggressive unless you weigh more than 300 lbs. 1% of your weight per week is probably more sustainable.

Good luck, and let us know how you are doing, ok?

ETA: Didn't see your second post. So you don't have that much to lose--although I'm sure it seems like a lot to you. Hang in there and try to slow down and go for the sustainable rate of loss.
  • cherys
    cherys Posts: 387 Member
    Options
    But 21lb in 3 weeks is just not sustainable. I mean, a lot of that will be water. Maybe you put the water back on and now you are seeing the real fat loss - 15lbs fat loss in three weeks is phenomenal!