Minimal exercise support

Options
Hi I wanted to start a thread for those seeking support because they cannot exercise for whatever reason, or can do very minimal exercise and are most focused on diet. I feel like I’ve seen a few people past few weeks who are injured or have cfs or other issues that keep you from doing your thang. It all cool here, I just want to support my fellow peeps who suffer as I do and try to motivate and inspire each other. So basically this week I attempted a small 10 minute video a lot I couldn’t do but at least I can wall sit and do a very minimal squat! Going to deep hurts my hip so I have to be careful. I also went on a walk with my son, it was extremely painful but he held my hand and cheered me on up and down hill and parts I felt I could not do. ( which meant a lot bc he’s at that age where hanging w mom is very uncool) it was 3,000 steps and I felt happy bc I do not go on walks bc it’s very painful. But I want to build up some muscle before surgery! So I just have to take some Tylenol and power through. It was only a mile but I used to walk that all the time when I was better.😢. Oh well one day one step at a time!

Replies

• josephinebowman
    josephinebowman Posts: 359 Member
    Options
    I go to the YMCA pool. I can go slow or hard, take classes or just be on my own, and the only complaint is they should turn the pool warmer sometimes! I don't have to be afraid of falling, the pool is only 5 feet deep, and I do not get as tired or hurt as the regular floor classes. Don't know if this is an option for you but if so, maybe it will help you feel better.
  • corinasue1143
    corinasue1143 Posts: 7,467 Member
    Options
    Hi I wanted to start a thread for those seeking support because they cannot exercise for whatever reason, or can do very minimal exercise and are most focused on diet. I feel like I’ve seen a few people past few weeks who are injured or have cfs or other issues that keep you from doing your thang. It all cool here, I just want to support my fellow peeps who suffer as I do and try to motivate and inspire each other. So basically this week I attempted a small 10 minute video a lot I couldn’t do but at least I can wall sit and do a very minimal squat! Going to deep hurts my hip so I have to be careful. I also went on a walk with my son, it was extremely painful but he held my hand and cheered me on up and down hill and parts I felt I could not do. ( which meant a lot bc he’s at that age where hanging w mom is very uncool) it was 3,000 steps and I felt happy bc I do not go on walks bc it’s very painful. But I want to build up some muscle before surgery! So I just have to take some Tylenol and power through. It was only a mile but I used to walk that all the time when I was better.😢. Oh well one day one step at a time!

Only a mile, or only 3000 steps to you, but the impossible dream for some.
    You’re right, it’s very disheartening to be so happy after taking a walk, just to read about someone running a marathon.

Josephine, the pool is my haven, too. I take water aerobics classes. They’re great, but I have to guard against going too often, or doing too much. I can easily use up all my spoons, but I still have to finish the day.

A big problem for me is self-pity and depression the next day when my body just doesn’t want to move. I tend to eat because it doesn’t take much energy, doesn’t use many spoons at all. I have been searching for a better alternative, but really the only thing I have found is books on tape. Anyone have other ideas?

• angelexperiment
    angelexperiment Posts: 1,917 Member
    edited March 2020
    Options
    @corinasue1143 I take the herbal supplement Kratom the white Borneo. It helps my pain and to be able to move sometimes my body just can’t move very fluidly I hobble quite bad some days but it also gives me a nice happy feeling and I’m able to do work with it. And I don’t know I have to think very positive or think of the things I will do when I get better ( it may never happen but it really boosts me up) have you ever made yourself a vision board? It’s a lot of fun ( time consuming so engages you away from not so healthy habits) the board can be anything really you can put even stuff you are working through or desire to have. You take a poster board and cut out words phrases and pictures you like and glue them on however they seem to go to you.
  • J72FIT
    J72FIT Posts: 5,948 Member
    Options
    What's the best form of exercise? Whatever you can do, just keep moving. Running water never grows stale...
  • angelexperiment
    Options
    True. But what if you cant really move? I have thought of some very minimal things such as using a skate board in seated position and moving leg back and forth ( knee strength exercise from a pt) or those bicyle steps macine that sits on floor and you use in a seated position
    J72FIT wrote: »
    What's the best form of exercise? Whatever you can do, just keep moving. Running water never grows stale...

• J72FIT
    J72FIT Posts: 5,948 Member
    Options
    True. But what if you cant really move? I have thought of some very minimal things such as using a skate board in seated position and moving leg back and forth ( knee strength exercise from a pt) or those bicyle steps macine that sits on floor and you use in a seated position
    J72FIT wrote: »

IMO, that counts towards whatever you can do...
  • rabblescum
    rabblescum Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    I have had same health setbacks of late that leave me very frustrated. I miss the high I get from jogging, but pain and fatigue are kicking my butt. Just walking a small distance feels like I climbed a mountain. I am trying to change that by each day doing just that one step more than I did before. Old story, I dont remember who was, I heard about guy who would only walk the block, so he did. Next day walked that block and one mailbox further down the street. So I have been focusing on that next mailbox myself.
  • angelexperiment
    Options
    giha111 wrote: »
    I have had same health setbacks of late that leave me very frustrated. I miss the high I get from jogging, but pain and fatigue are kicking my butt. Just walking a small distance feels like I climbed a mountain. I am trying to change that by each day doing just that one step more than I did before. Old story, I dont remember who was, I heard about guy who would only walk the block, so he did. Next day walked that block and one mailbox further down the street. So I have been focusing on that next mailbox myself.

Maybe we can do this together and be accountabilibuddies for walking! I have a hard time to walk to the end of streeet wich is .5 mile and back which is uphill. I want to do this once a day though it hurts, im concernedim losing muscle tone in my legsthe one affected hip leg in particular and starting to affect second leg so maybe the addition walk will help
  • Back_4_more
    Back_4_more Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    I tore my Achilles tendon beginning of the year. Can't drive and only able to get to work 2-3 days a week (office It job) and using a knee scooter to get around. Using crutches puts a lot of pressure on my hip/back. I've just been focusing on caloric intake and tons of water. Ive dropped 17lbs since.

nbbqsscq2a6g.jpg