Not enough calories?

So sorry to ask this question if it seems stupid but I am new to calorie counting. Today I wrote down exactly what I ate and it calculated things out for me and the thing is telling me I need to eat more or I will be in starvation mode. The thing is I feel full and I eat what I have always ate just less of a serving size the only big change is I am staying away from soda which I drank a lot of , as odd as this may sound to you all most of my daily calories came from the two soda bottles I would consume daily. I never really ate that much to begin with so what should I do? As far as my activity level goes I walk for two hours a day and I power walk/jog for about 5 mins as that is what I can do as of now.

Replies

• I feel like if you're legitimately full, that you shouldn't have to eat more to compensate. But I'm also not much of an expert.
  • shouldieatmyexercisecalories.com
  • Umeboshi
    Umeboshi Posts: 1,637 Member
    You should eat more.
  • If you're needing to get some calories in without filling up a lot, try healthy fats like almonds, avocados, or natural nut butters.
  • jleach
    jleach Posts: 38 Member
    Mine always says the same thing too. I wouldn't worry about it unless your not meeting the nutritional goals.
  • MrsPhan11
    MrsPhan11 Posts: 2,502 Member
    Some high calorie but healthy food ideas that aren't too filling
    Almonds
    Olive oil
    avocado
    Peanut butter
    Cheesesticks
    Bananas
    If we can see your food diary, it would be alot easier to offer some suggestions.
  • juliapurpletoes
    juliapurpletoes Posts: 951 Member
    my first thought is:

how are you calculating your exercise calories? the database here is a good general one, but for most of us not accurate. So, if it isn't accurate then it will tell you to either eat too many or too little, right?

another thought is: many of us who have over OR under fed ourselves don't really know true hunger! (sounds funny) So, make sure ALL your logging is accurate and then do eat back the calories.......learn to eat calorie dense foods rather than lettuce!
  • sp53
    sp53 Posts: 40
    It's GREAT that you are not drinking so much soda! The "starvation mode" kicks in when you eat way too little to nourish yourself. Don't know how many calories is for you.
  • My food log tells me every day that I'm eating too few calories. I'm under a doctor supervision, but I eat between 700-900 calories daily, however I also have weekly checkups with my doctor and nutritionist and get weekly shots to make sure I get all my vitamins and minerals needed. The foods I do eat are fortified with extra vitamins and minerals to compensate for the low amount of calories I am eating. I don't worry about what MFP food log tells me. My doctor is monitoring everything I'm doing and it's working for me.

I think it's what works best for you. No one way is right for everyone. If you're really not hungry then don't force yourself to eat more. That's just my thought.
  • Not eating a lot always packs on weight. I'm sure you've heard this, but eat 6 little meals a day. If you're not big on eating, eat an apple and wait a couple of hours. Letting your body know that it will always have food coming will keep your metabolism up (burning calories and fat), and your body will stop storing fat. When you don't eat a lot, your body holds onto the fat from when you do it.
    I hope that makes sense.

And welcome!!! :-D
  • xHelloQuincyx
    xHelloQuincyx Posts: 884 Member
    everyone is going to tell you to eat more. personaly i do not believe you have to worry about starvation mode. (unless you ate like 500 calories today) if you eat very low cal for a long time you would. however your diary is not open so idk how much you ate, burned, or the quality of food you ate. if its 1000 i think you are fine. people could debate on this for hours and people will prolly be yelling at me for telling you you are fine. if you are hungry eat if not try your best but dont force yourself. if i had the flu and didnt eat anything today no one would be saying "your going into starvation mode *crams food in my mouth*" if your full today thats fine.

also someone brought up about "eating to few calories so you dont nurish yourself" so if this is true that means you were already in a type of starvation mode because empty soda calories provide no nourishment.