Gained 2 pounds in 3 days ???

So i have been eating the same way i have been while loosing weight. Today i check the scale and see i gained like 2 - 3 pounds in just days ? I usually have 2 scales i have the digital scale and i have the dial analog scale. Usually on the digital it’s always off a few pounds but the analog is always accurate. So i am confused at what’s going on and how can anyone even gain 3 pounds in less than a week eating calories that’s suppose to help them loose.

Replies

• Ashlove5
    Ashlove5 Posts: 152 Member
    your weight fluctuates - it goes up and down - it won't be a very specific number each day due to different factors like water, hormones, etc. if you are sure you are eating at the right deficit carry on.
    Idk i haven’t seen it do it with the analog scale before which worries me like should i eat less ? Or change what i am doing.
  • Ashlove5
    Weight fluctuates.
    Most of us that have been doing this long enough see this happen. I lost consistently for the first 7 months, no gains, but I weigh weekly. The closer I got to goal the slower the weight loss became. If you’re weighing, measuring and logging everything you eat and drink accurately, it will happen. Patience is something some of us have to have more of. Scales are different as you know. Try to stick to one scale.
    I totally agree with having patience but i just started this journey a month ago is it normal to have this happen so soon? Like you said your lost consistently for 7 months. But thank you for your information. Just tensed and curious.

• missysippy930
    missysippy930 Posts: 2,577 Member
    Ashlove5 wrote: »
    Weight fluctuates.
    Most of us that have been doing this long enough see this happen. I lost consistently for the first 7 months, no gains, but I weigh weekly. The closer I got to goal the slower the weight loss became. If you’re weighing, measuring and logging everything you eat and drink accurately, it will happen. Patience is something some of us have to have more of. Scales are different as you know. Try to stick to one scale.
    I totally agree with having patience but i just started this journey a month ago is it normal to have this happen so soon? Like you said your lost consistently for 7 months. But thank you for your information. Just tensed and curious.

Don’t worry, it’s totally normal.
    I was morbidly obese. I had a lot to lose, and I was very consistently staying at my calorie deficit, and under my doctors observation, and care.
    You’re doing great! Keep it up!
  • Maxxitt
    Maxxitt Posts: 1,281 Member
    If you are menstruating, it's totally normal to have a scale gain of 3-5# thanks to hormones. The scale also reacts to the amount of food moving through your gut, and the amount of water being retained to assist that process (and do all the other stuff). Just keep doing what you have been doing for another month. You'll have enough data by then to know what's what :)
  • Ashlove5
    mkculs13 wrote: »
    Your age isn't available, but since you are female, just remember that your monthly cycle affects fluid retention. I always used to show a 2 lb gain "overnight" a few days before my period. And there are also daily fluctuations.

Pick one scale to use. No point in using 2.
    I am 20 years old and idk my monthly cycle doesn’t start for another week or so i am ovulating right now tho so idk if that affects anything

• fdlewenstein
    fdlewenstein Posts: 231 Member
    I suggest using a weight tracking app (I personally use Libra), it helps me to keep the bigger picture in sight. Yes, I might weigh more today than I did yesterday, but I weigh less today than I did a month ago.

I agree totally about using a weight tracking app. I use Happy scale. It wasn't until I started tracking my weight in the app did I truly relax about weight fluctuations. Look at the big picture. I also keep a spreadsheet that includes my exercise (in METS) because I don't eat back those calories. Keeps things in perspective and allows me to adjust. As long as you are aware of your trends and can adjust quickly I wouldn't freak out just yet.
  • nicsflyingcircus
    nicsflyingcircus Posts: 2,771 Member
    kshama2001 wrote: »
    mkculs13 wrote: »
    Your age isn't available, but since you are female, just remember that your monthly cycle affects fluid retention. I always used to show a 2 lb gain "overnight" a few days before my period. And there are also daily fluctuations.

Pick one scale to use. No point in using 2.
    I am 20 years old and idk my monthly cycle doesn’t start for another week or so i am ovulating right now tho so idk if that affects anything

Yes, I retain more water when I ovulate than premenstrually. My highest weight of the month is when I ovulate. This is why I compare myself to a similar point in my cycle from last month, as opposed to looking at weekly numbers.

This was true of me too before I had my hysterectomy. Basically I could count on no weight loss or a slight uptick the week I ovulated.
  • Avidkeo
    Avidkeo Posts: 3,190 Member
    edited March 2020
    Hey, I've been tracking my trend since the end of Dec. So weigh every day at the same time, straight after the bathroom, without clothes on.

Can you tell when my period or ovulation is? Lol

tc1767jim756.jpg

So yes fluxuations are totally normal. As long as that trend line is heading down, I'm happy (thr most recent bump was a binge so it will probably flatline as I'm due to ovulate next week. Oops)
  • yirara
    yirara Posts: 9,860 Member
    It's not only water weight. If you don't poop for a day then the waste stays in your intestines, also masking weight loss. Of course once I go you will lose this weight.
  • joyanna2016
    joyanna2016 Posts: 323 Member
    Weight fluctuates.

I can happen anytime.Be encouraged though. Just as true as your weight jumping up pounds, it sometimes seems to jump down. 😀