Psoriasis? Natural (non-drug, or less drug) ways to get my psoriasis under control?

eric2light
eric2light Posts: 113 Member
edited March 2020 in Health and Weight Loss
My psoriasis has just, a month ago, gotten way worse. I'd like to do stuff that does not involve taking meds for the rest of my life. Anyone got wisdom for me?

Feel free to ask me questions about my life style, etc.

Replies

• Psychgrrl
    Psychgrrl Posts: 3,177 Member
    Stress seems to make mine flare up.

Neem oil helps me, too. Drawback, it’s not something you’d use for aromatherapy. :grimace: Trader Joe’s has a honey made from the pollen of neem flowers. I eat it—also seems to help.

Mine is very mild.
  • ladyreva78
    ladyreva78 Posts: 4,080 Member
    My aunt had good results with adjusting carbs/diet in general to a more Mediterranean style diet:
    - lowish carb (she's at between 100-150g net carbs a day)
    - very little added sugar (before that she considered chocolate as a full meal)
    - where possible whole grain sources of carbs (she used to eat only white bread and highly refined carb sources)
    - 1-2 servings of veggies at every meal (those used to be an afterthought)
    - plant based oils (instead of butter and lard for cooking)
    - meat 2-3 times a week (instead of 2-3x daily)
    - Fish 1-2x a week (that was a foreign word for her before)
    - The rest of the days vegetarian options (previous opinion: only weirdos eat vegetarian options when you could eat meat)

Not sure what in those changes helped her, but she has less problems. She used to have serious outbreaks especially in her hair (looked and felt horrific) and arms. She's been able to reduce the amount of cortisone cream she needs. Instead of needing daily applications, she only needs 1-2 a month.

Also, it took her several months to make those changes, but she wouldn't go back now.

• ElizabethKalmbach
    ElizabethKalmbach Posts: 1,416 Member
    UV light within a certain range is a recognized treatment for psoriasis and eczema. I'm not sure where your "problem areas" are and whether or not you can expose them to sunlight, but "getting some sun" has helped my eczema enough that I've maintained either a mohawk or an undercut hairstyle specifically for the purpose of getting sunlight on my scalp in my problem areas. I'm always worse in winter because there isn't as much sun, but frequent workouts and frequent showers have also seemingly helped improve my skin elasticity and keep everything less aggravated.

This assumes that you've already got all the least irritating soaps and lotions worked out. I use a very minimalist castile (olive oil) soap with no scent. It's gentle and does not irritate my skin.
  • Chieflrg
    Chieflrg Posts: 9,097 Member
    Well established evidence suggest that resistance training helps with chronic pain from autoimmune disease amoung other things.

A lot of people including myself experiences less symptoms once we relax our immune systems from unuseful stress that seems to sensitize the activity.

Other than chemo which was a helpful side effect for my autoimmune disease, Advil prior to training is the only drug I've used in ten years. The Advil is both hurtful and helpful to my training, but being a competitive powerlifter the pros outweigh the cons currently.

I highly suggest resistance training for other benefits as well such as longer life, better quality, bone density, etc...as well as removing stress from your life.
  • hlr1987
    hlr1987 Posts: 151 Member
    Multivitamins, and make sure your diet is rich in vitamins and minerals. I have small improvemts from sulphate free shampoo, and avoiding any body wash products except water and a little soap in key areas, and not more than a few times a week. Mine is there, but I don't get scales anymore really (a massive improvement), and what I actually contribute that to is losing fat, apparently as your body makes fat it stores a percentage of the vitamins you eat, and hormones, for use if you lose weight and don't have access to good food. So whatever your eating as you gain weight, you aren't getting the full benefit of, but as you lose it you get an extra dose. Every time I lose 6+ pounds my skin just clears up, until I get really stressed again, or my skin dries out for whatever reason (can be caused by weather, lots of water, central heating, change of washing powders). I only use the moisturiser and I get on OK atm.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,897 Member
  • eric2light
    Chieflrg wrote: »
    Well established evidence suggest that resistance training helps with chronic pain from autoimmune disease amoung other things.

Are you saying that resistance training might help my skin problem, my psoriasis?
  • eric2light
    hlr1987 wrote: »
    Multivitamins, and make sure your diet is rich in vitamins and minerals. I have small improvemts from sulphate free shampoo, and avoiding any body wash products except water and a little soap in key areas, and not more than a few times a week. Mine is there, but I don't get scales anymore really (a massive improvement), and what I actually contribute that to is losing fat, apparently as your body makes fat it stores a percentage of the vitamins you eat, and hormones, for use if you lose weight and don't have access to good food. So whatever your eating as you gain weight, you aren't getting the full benefit of, but as you lose it you get an extra dose. Every time I lose 6+ pounds my skin just clears up, until I get really stressed again, or my skin dries out for whatever reason (can be caused by weather, lots of water, central heating, change of washing powders). I only use the moisturiser and I get on OK atm.

Do you mean https://www.okaypurenaturals.com/ by OK atm? or what do you mean by OK atm?
  • deetucker70
    deetucker70 Posts: 43 Member
    After having it for 30+ years on scalp and knees and elbows and using prescription topicals for all that time I have finally found that Low carb eating has all but eliminated mine. Also, when I do get a spot of it this has worked wonders: https://www.summerherbal.com/products/sorion-herbal-cream
    Your first Order is buy one get one free
  • Chieflrg
    Chieflrg Posts: 9,097 Member
    eric2light wrote: »
    Chieflrg wrote: »

Are you saying that resistance training might help my skin problem, my psoriasis?

It certainly is possible within a intelligently programmed template.

Resistance training reduces pain which in turn can reduce un useful stress. Less stress should lead to less activity of the disease and side effects.

But yah, I don't care why you choose to resistance train as there are multiple benefits that improve quality of life.
  • eric2light
    UV light within a certain range....

Would it make any sense to have a device for home use? I live in NYC area so not that easy to get sun in the winter...

• kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,897 Member
    eric2light wrote: »
    hlr1987 wrote: »

Do you mean https://www.okaypurenaturals.com/ by OK atm? or what do you mean by OK atm?

I assumed what is meant is "Ok, at the moment (ATM)"