Too many carbs, not enough protein?

Options
Well i tried to get more protein in today and ended up with even less than yesterday!

I deliberately went for a chicken nicoise salad for lunch and a quorn cottage pie for tea, hoping that would sort me out...

So frustrating grrr!

I will be so much more prepared next week after we've moved house at the weekend!

Replies

• piexcore
    piexcore Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    Tuna my friend. I always go over my protein when I have a nice can of tuna for lunch. Unless your a vegan and then I guess eat peanutbutter?
  • NoAdditives
    NoAdditives Posts: 4,251 Member
    Options
    Vegetarian sources of protein will always have ridiculously high amounts of carbs and dairy sources have too much fat and can also be high in carbs. That's one reason I actually gained weight during the 10 years I was vegetarian. You can add a whey protein shake to your diet to help increase your protein intake if you can't or don't want to eat more meat.
  • NicoleLyn1818
    Options
    Peanuts, Sunflower seeds, peanut butter, pecans, almonds......pretty much any nut. Red meat and tuna have a lot of protein....also, eggs, yogurt (check label), and cottage cheese.
  • msjac23
    msjac23 Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    I put vanilla flavor protein powder in my oatmeal and have a casein protein shake before going to bed. Fish, tuna, lean cuts of meat, and beans will help you get your protein,
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    Gosh, I see so many posts like this. Am I the only one that eats high protein and low carb without trying? I don't really want to eat < 100 carbs but many days it works out that way.

Almonds are the thing that usually puts my protein over I think. But they are just so yummy!!
  • cheekymonkeyface
    cheekymonkeyface Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    Thanks, i think it will end up as nuts. Because of my bypass i can't eat a great deal of 'dense' protein. Half a can of tuna a couple of bits of beetroot and i'm stuffed. Wish i could only manage a small amount of carbs like that, unfortunately my tum tolerates a 2 slice of bread sandwich with yoghurt after. Funny old thing it is.

Thanks for the advice x
  • Donnamom3
    Options
    I am a bypass patient too. I have two protein shakes per day. These shakes should provide me with 30-50g of protein total. The shakes should have no more than 3 g fat / 3 g sugar per serving. The combined calorie total should not exceed 300 calories per day. This helps keep me from getting hungry. I also eat my protein first at meals. My carbs are not as low as some RNY patients, I generally stay under 70g per day. I stay away from white flour and potatoes. These can be trigger foods for me. I have a total of 80g of protein per day. I don't skip meals (. Breakfast, Lunch, Snack, Dinner, Snack) and I track everything. I think the tracking is critical for me. It keep me informed on what I am eating.
  • sugarbone
    sugarbone Posts: 454 Member
    Options
    I have a hard time meeting my protein goal unless I have a can of tuna, and I will still eat meat at one of my other meals. I also get protein from cottage cheese and peanut butters but the other-macros:protein ratio is higher so I wouldn't count on them exclusively at all.

You'd be surprised how much chicken you actually have to eat to get 90g of protein (my personal daily goal)!