If you're under your goal and not hungry AT ALL, do you stil

Options
For instance, today I am 538 calories under my goal, and that's only because I made myself scarf down some Pop Chips. I try to use my Treadmill for 30 minutes and my Wii Fit for 30-45. If I do even one of these, it'll be another 150-200 calories added to that deficit. I'm very cautious not to come under my goal too much or too often as I feel it's detrimental to my progress. What do you feel is the best way to handle this and why?
Thanks in advance for your advice!

Replies

• msmith5251s
    Options
    Due to depression, for the past few days I have ate around 200 calories a day, not including exercise.
    I just know that when and if I start eating again I will just gain back all the weight... so I plan on slowly but surely re-adding food.
    For instance, instead of just eating breakfast... I will eat breakfast and a snack... then breakfast and lunch, etc... until I am eating my usual 6 small meals a day.
  • sugarbone
    sugarbone Posts: 454 Member
    Options
    I definitely had your problem when I first started MFP. I'd have a couple hundred calories to go at 10 at night and no desire to make them up. Nowadays I slip digestible amounts of extra food throughout the day (like a small handful of almonds, adding 2 egg whites to my scrambled eggs, etc) and it's much easier to make my goal. The trickiest thing is, the healthier you eat, the harder it will be because most healthy foods aren't calorie dense and high calorie healthy foods like nut butters have high fat!

Just experiment with supplementing your meals with a few more ingredients, and see what gets you calories without going over fat or sugar etc. Sometimes if eating a couple spoonfuls of natural peanut butter would meet my cal goal but put me a few grams over fat, I just do it anways :-)
  • Olivia1977
    Olivia1977 Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    I say listen to your body and not your emotions. Eat when you feel hungry but try to make good choices to stay within your goal for the day. Somedays you will be hungrier than others. I know some days I can be over by 500 calories but then the day or two afterwards I am under by between 300-500 and be fine....it all evens out for me!!
  • dez_yaoichan
    Options
    i keep v8 vfusion juice for when i need help reaching my goal. depending on which one you get, it's 170-50 calories per 8 oz glass. drink 2 or 3 glasses and you'll be a lot closer without having to stuff yourself to get there.
  • Liquid741
    Liquid741 Posts: 292 Member
    Options
    MFP says im supposed to eat 1810 per day...when i work out i usually have to add around 600 or so calories to that...i never eat all of them...EVER.

i just try to eat healthy and if i meet the goal then great, if not...oh well.
  • SamMorBelsmom
    SamMorBelsmom Posts: 164 Member
    Options
    I find it very hard to meet my calorie goal because I work out for an hour and a half, plus I breastfeed and thats another 500 calories to my diet that I get to eat. By the end of the day, MFP has told me to eat 2,300 calories becasue I burned 800 calories working out and 500 nursing!! I feel like I eat all the time! The last three days I have been 500+ calories under my goal but I am not hungry either...I have yet to notice a difference though. I am sure I will make it up over the weekend. Let me know what you find out. You have to read your body. If you are hungry, eat, if your not, don't. You may just be chowing down on some serious fiber...
  • em1976
    em1976 Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    If its a workout day for me I plan my meals in advance so I know that I will be close.Your already running on a deficit or should be(if your attempting to lose)so you dont want to not feed the muscles/body.Mfp sets the goals so we can hit it,with the deficit already in play plus your adding on top its truly not good for your body.

If im not hungry,which is happening alot lately I make a protein shake,milk,banana/frozen berries,you can add cottage cheese,cream cheese,ice,fruit,vanilla essence,yoghurt,splenda,cocoa powder,the additions are endless plus you will know its got vitamins/minerals that you need.You can do a dessert one,low calorie one whatever you feel your body needs.Problem with eating to get your calories up you may be substituting junk and thats not the best way to handle it imo.Your body wont get what it needs from random crap food.Nuts are pretty good for calories plus you can splurge and get honey coated if you feel you've earnt it:)

You may start to get tired,fatigued during workouts,emotionally drained,lose motivation, thats short term,)long term your depriving your body of the fuel it needs to function on a healthy level)im no expert but thats what happened to me because i upped my calories through random junk:)Once i started having my shakes,i dont fatigue and I have alot more energy.I eat my exercise as often as i can and I quite often blow my day completely,but essentially I try to go 100 plus or minus as a rule.I know everyone is different but if you think of our bodies as machines,the better the fuel/oil the better/longer it will work:)
  • sleepytexan
    sleepytexan Posts: 3,138 Member
    Options
    eat what you can; log some of the exercise on for tomorrow. I always split my big bike rides bc they burn over 2000 cals.