Macros

Options
Rhiwills76
Rhiwills76 Posts: 32 Member
edited March 2020 in Food and Nutrition
Hi starting fresh today,mindset this time is it takes as long as it takes as long as it's always going down.Was wondering what people dof about macros,do you leave them at preset which is carbs 50% fat 30% protein 20% or do you do it a specific way.Thanks.

Replies

• Rhiwills76
    Options
    Forgot to mention I have at least 5 stone to lose,over 7 stone if I want to get even slightly into healthy bmi.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,079 Member
    Options
    The MFP default macros are a good starting point for most people.

If your goal is primarily weight loss, dialing in the right calorie level is the crucial thing, especially in the short run: Low enough calories to lose at a moderate and sensible rate, high enough calories to keep a good energy level. For compliance with the calorie goal, feeling full is also important to keep it sustainable, but that satiation can be as much about food choices or timing as about quantities/calories/macros. (Satiation differs by peron, so it's good to pay attention to when you feel full vs. crave-y, and think about what the triggers might be for you.)

Macros are about good nutrition, and long-term health, rather than about weight loss per se. Obviously, most of us want health, not just thinness, but as long as you're not starting out with a medical diagnosis of some kind of deficiency or other unusual factor, then you can gradually work on getting your macronutrients to good levels. (Getting the necessary minimums of protein and fats are the most important for most people.) If you do have a diagnosed medical issue of some kind that affects diet, ask your doctor for a referral to a registered dietition (RD) to help you work out a good dietary strategy.

Some people find that dropping their carbs a little results in lower cravings . . . but other people find that dropping carbs lowers their energy level. You can experiment, to see what works for you. Unlike protein and fats, there's no minimum that's universally essential, so this is pretty individual. (That said, low carb diets are pretty popular, maybe even fad-y, now, so you may see people urging low carbs.)

A while back, I wrote a post about the "gradually adapt" method I used to lose weight, and have used to maintain weight since. If you want to consider that as one option, it's here:

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10636388/free-customized-personal-weight-loss-eating-plan-not-spam-or-mlm/p1

Best wishes for much success! :)
  • Rhiwills76
    Options
    ANNPT77 Thank you so much.