Air Fryer - worth the hype?

Options
I saw another post about air fryer fanatics and I just can't decide whether I should buy one or not. I do use my oven quite often so it would be nice to not heat the entire thing up just to cook for two people. Can anyone make any suggestions and maybe list some pros and cons? Thank you!

Replies

• asthesoapturns
    asthesoapturns Posts: 313 Member
    Options
    I have an air fryer/toaster oven. I don't have space in my microscopic kitchen for too many appliances. I love the air fryer function for fries, and meat. I haven't tried it for veggies yet. I enjoy the toaster oven function for baking and reheating. For me and 2 in 1 was a great call.
  • EHollander89
    EHollander89 Posts: 169 Member
    Options
    We use our air fryer probably 5 or 6 times per week. We've hardly used our oven since we got the air fryer. We like to marinate chicken (wings, drums, tenders, etc.) and then cook in the air fryer. We've also tried out some frozen foods as well as vegetables. I really like air fried broccoli. For our household, it has been a great addition.
  • bekim123
    bekim123 Posts: 391 Member
    Options
    I'm on my second since we wore the first one out. We use it several times a week. I've found it to be excellent on pork chops, boneless/skinless chicken breasts and thighs, potatoes (make my own "fried" potatoes with just a spritz of oil), etc. etc. From what I've seen, they all work about the same, so don't feel you have to buy an expensive one.
  • bmeadows380
    bmeadows380 Posts: 2,981 Member
    Options
    Mine is useful, but its not something that I use a whole lot. I get more use out of my crockpot and toaster oven than I do the air fryer. Potatoes are fantastic in it, though I wasn't a big fan of other vegetables done in it. Meats do pretty well. But all in all, I might use mine 1 or 2 times a month, maybe.
  • acpgee
    acpgee Posts: 7,624 Member
    Options
    It's essentially a small, very well insulated convection oven where the fan is considerably more aggressive than in a normal convection oven. I like it because it doesn't heat up the house in summer and is more energy efficient than my oven. I get the impression it does a better job of melting subcutaneous fat from skin on chicken, fish, and duck. Skin comes out super crispy.

You can't do things such as toasted cheese sandwiches like in a convection oven because the fan blows everything apart unless you weight the bread down with a piece of silicon mess that has been cut to fit tightly in the air fryer basket. I do the same to hold down open face cheese sandwiches and for toasting nuts and coconut flakes which would otherwise fly everywhere with the aggressive fanning.

I hardly use the oven anymore unless I need to fit a Christmas goose or a whole bone in leg of lamb to feed a crowd. My compact Phillips Viva model can make a roast beef dinner with roast potatoes and roast vegetables for four people. I put the meat joint in first, surround and top with parboiled potatoes that have been tossed in fat and add oil tossed carrots, parsnips or courgettes to the space under the air fryer basket.

If I had to choose again, I would choose a larger model. The Phillips Viva is fine for cooking for two, but if I am making wings for a crowd I need to cook in batches.

Wings are different than deep fried, but just as good, with a very thin crispy skin. The dishes I do to mimic deep fried food are Chinese Di San Xian, Chinese salt and pepper pork, Spanish croquettas. For the vegetable dish first wok with some oil, and then finish in the air fryer instead of deep frying cubes of potato and aubergine. For salt and pepper pork I coat in salted beaten egg white before air frying. For croquettas I bread in oily breadcrumbs, where I stir in a teaspoon of oil into a half cup of breadcrumbs.

• ElizabethKalmbach
    ElizabethKalmbach Posts: 1,416 Member
    Options
    I have a convection toaster that I bought before air fryers were a thing. It was $50 and I can to pizza OR french fries in it, and it is just the right size for my family of 3... I haven't used my real oven in about a decade because convection cooking is so much more efficient.
  • amwoidyla
    amwoidyla Posts: 257 Member
    Options
    Unpopular opinion: Not worth it. I got one for Christmas a few years ago and ended up getting rid of it within 6 months. I didn't feel as if you could put that much food in it and it took just as long as the oven, with less satisfying results.
  • mullanphylane
    mullanphylane Posts: 172 Member
    Options
    They work. Cooking with circulating hot air (convection cooking) is, generally, faster and the food prepared this way healthier than deep frying, pan frying, baking, etc. But they are SO overpriced. Want to 'air fry'? Buy a counter-top convection oven
  • breanacasey2017
    breanacasey2017 Posts: 24 Member
    edited March 2020
    Options
    Yesss! I felt the same way then i finally bought one a couple months ago and it was a total game changer. It really helped me with my cheats meals. Instead of going out, i would recreate a lot of fast food meals. Just today i cooked a piece of fish today for one of my prepped meals...it was delicious. I've used it to make wings, fish, fries, tortilla chips, meatballs and even to toast my sandwiches lol. I got mine on Amazon for $30-$40 dollars. I usually saw them being sold for about $70 and up.

Honestly, i dont use it for making all my meals cause that would take too much time but i do use it about every other day for snacks and mostly every weekend for cheat meals. Helping me save money as well.
  • gothchiq
    gothchiq Posts: 4,598 Member
    Options
    Ours is too small. I guess you could jam a sandwich in there. I'm underwhelmed.
  • privy95
    privy95 Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    I have a family of 7, so they seem awfully small to me! My oven is often full to the brim with dinner. I do want a convection oven the next time around. Maybe when the toaster oven dies I will try a countertop convection oven. Sorry I couldn’t help, but family size may weigh into your decision!
  • sgt1372
    sgt1372 Posts: 3,978 Member
    Options
    amwoidyla wrote: »
    Unpopular opinion: Not worth it. I got one for Christmas a few years ago and ended up getting rid of it within 6 months. I didn't feel as if you could put that much food in it and it took just as long as the oven, with less satisfying results.

This^

Capacity too small, too expensive, takes up too much spaces snd no bettercthan using your oven to fo the same thing w/o oil.
  • summery79
    summery79 Posts: 116 Member
    Options
    We've been doing more frozen veggies rather than fresh as part of our effort to make fewer shopping trips. I just figured out that my air fryer is great for roasting frozen vegetables. :) No mushy/soggy veggies. Honestly, I feel like the purchase was worth it for that benefit alone.

I put frozen broccoli in there (seasoned and drizzled with olive oil). After about 20 minutes, it comes out perfectly, with crisp, slightly charred edges. Our air fryer is 10-quart capacity, so a relatively large one.
  • debtay123
    debtay123 Posts: 1,327 Member
    Options
    yes I just discovered using my air fryer with frozen cauliflower(yummy)- also love it to cook sausage, hotdogs, chicken wings etc- I use mine a lot- there are only 2 of us in the family so my size if fine- but i have heard that you can buy the great big ones- I think popel have to decide what size they may need based on family size before they purchase one.
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    My sister has one and I recently stayed with her for a few days and saw it in action. I enjoyed the food cooked in it, but I can't see getting one.

1. The capacity is really small (but maybe they make big ones for families?). She had a dinner with two different items that were in the fryer and they had to be done individually, which took longer. If you wanted both items hot and fresh, it would have been impossible.
    2. It takes a long time! We made breakfast potatoes and I think it took close to 30-45 minutes. Probably the same amount of time as the oven and once you figured in how many times she had to open the fryer to stir the potatoes, it might as well have been in the oven.

My sister got it as a gift and she uses it, but she says she wouldn't replace it if it broke.
  • springlering62
    springlering62 Posts: 7,463 Member
    Options
    I just got a Ninja Foodi. OMG. It’s a countertop monster but what can’t it do? I’m trying all kinds of stuff during lockdown. The baked potatoes were great, husband flipped over the fries, teriyaki pork with broccoli was fantastic, little fruit “hand pies” were a winner, and I made the best chicken and dumplings I’ve ever made. The steaks we broiled in it were delicious.

I did this months supply of beef jerky in it using the dehydrator function. It only does half a batch at a time compared to my old dehydrator, but that thing is going to goodwill first opportunity. The quality was better, it was tender-er yet chewier, richer taste, it took 1/3 the time to cook and took five minutes to clean up versus 45-60 for the old one. (An hour of scrubbing racks with a toothbrush sucks and has sealed its fate now there’s a better choice.)

It’s eight quart and there’s only two of us but already I see a reason to wish for a larger one or a second one. Just wish it wasn’t as big as a house!

The learning curve is a bit OTT, since it’s pressure cooker, air fryer, broiler, dehydrator and more. Would like to try my hand at making yogurt in it too. That’s another device that would be nice to send to a new home.
  • whitpauly
    whitpauly Posts: 1,483 Member
    Options
    I love mine💗 it has 3 racks so it's ok for roominess and when I'm done I put it in a pantry closet, I'll always have one in my house,, instapot is the fad appliance that I wish I'd never got🤷🏻‍♀️
  • swirlybee
    swirlybee Posts: 497 Member
    Options
    I started off with a smaller Phillips airfryer like this one
    Philips-Analog-Air-Fryer-Costco.jpg
    My coworker was raving all about it so I got one. It's good but too tiny so I used it less and less. For my family of 4, I had to cook in batches.

Then I got one of these Cuisinart toaster oven/airfryer.
    mobi_1053_toa_60_bridal_copy.jpg
    I use it every day. It took a couple of tries to perfect my time and temperatures but my chicken comes out perfect every time - super crispy skin. Fries are fantastic. Great for roasting vegetables too. It's not good for anything that's battered. I do have an alternative process that's more of a crust on top rather than an actual wet batter. It does not replicate deep frying but it is a good alternative. If you already have a convection oven, then an air fryer would just be redundant.

On the topic of instantpot, I love mine, but it's not an all-in-one like it purports to be. It's great as a pressure cooker (I make great risotto in mine). That's all I really use it for.