I'M READY TO DO THIS!!!!

Options
Badbrad2020
Badbrad2020 Posts: 41 Member
I'm getting started today! I hope I'll be able to help people with the same goals as me, and I look forward to getting feedback as well! Feel free to send me a friend request so we can get through this journey together!

Replies

• Danp
    Danp Posts: 1,561 Member
    edited March 2020
    Options
    Great. What's the plan?

Being all gung-ho and determined is a great start but what's your long term plan? How are you going to approach this?
  • Badbrad2020
    Badbrad2020 Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    Danp wrote: »
    Great. What's the plan?

Being all gung-ho and determined is a great start but what's your long term plan? How are you going to approach this?

I've already lost 60 lbs, so I'm off to a good start. I know it's gonna take more than just a positive attitude to shed this extra weight I need to lose and keep it off. I'd like to lose at least another 30 lbs. It's gonna take hard work/exercise, commitment, discipline, and I'm gonna have to adjust my diet a little more, and stick with it. That's my plan going forward. My fitness pal was recommended by my doctor, so I'm giving it a shot. I'm sure that being able to communicate with other people that are trying to do the same thing I'm doing will help keep me motivated and on the right track.
  • Danp
    Danp Posts: 1,561 Member
    Options
    60lbs is a great achievement already so congrats. This is a really good community which doesn't brook nonsense when it comes to the myriad of misinformation that plagues weight loss.

MFP is a fantastic tool when used properly to give you the insights and information you need to make smart decisions. I think, well for me at least, one of the biggest issues was not really knowing how much I was actually eating. I stacked on weight over the years as I just wasn't cognisant of the number of calories I was taking in each day. The simple act of logging all my food gave me the awareness to go "Whoah! I'm eating how much! No wonder I am as big as I am".

The act of consciously tracking my calories armed me with the awareness I needed to begin to reign in my habits and start eating a sensible number of calories.

The other big change that has seen me succeed this time was a shift in attitude towards managing my weight. I worked out that easy is better than fast. That if I made losing weight easy and effortless regardless of how slowly the weight comes off that I'll be better off in the end.

The real eye opener for me was when I sat down and worked out that I had stayed fat for 25 years because I was too impatient to take 3 or 4 years to lose weight in a sustainable fashion. I worked out that had I lost weight at a rate of about 0.25kg (250g/0.5lbs) when I first started trying to lose weight at 20yo I'd have been a healthy weight by 23yo instead of finding myself at 43 finally doing it right and expecting to be a healthy weight by about 47.