Cross-training for running

My feet have started hurting, and I think it's because right now, running is my only form of cardio, and I've been running just about every day - 6 days a week. I don't have a bike, a pool, or a gym membership, but I teach at a school that has some exercise equipment that I can use after school.

There's a recumbent bike and an elliptical machine. I'm wondering what the benefits to each might be. The gym teacher indicated that the elliptical is likely to give me a better workout. However, I think it would be easier to read a book while I'm seated; the movement on the elliptical is likely to make it more difficult to hold the book and/or keep track of where I'm at.

Has anyone used both? Thoughts?

Replies

• sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Do you actually mean cross training to improve your running or are you just looking for an alternative exercise?
    There's a subtle difference which would influence your choice(s).
    e.g. Weight training or cycling might be more benefit to your running than swimming but swimming could be just a plain alternative cardio exercise but might not improve your running.

Think if your feet hurt the elliptical might be a poor choice, many people find it causes foot discomfort.

Cycling would be a better (no impact) choice for your feet but I'm not a fan of recumbent indoor bikes at all. (Although there must be some exceptions mostly they seem to encourage such a low intensity from the user that the workout is barely beneficial.)

Rowing machine is another option to give you a resistance cardio as a contrast to running.
  • DancingMoosie
    DancingMoosie Posts: 8,613 Member
    Try both and see what you like. You might also benefit from some yoga for stretching and a little bodyweight strength to compliment your running.
  • clicketykeys
    clicketykeys Posts: 6,568 Member
    sijomial wrote: »
    Do you actually mean cross training to improve your running or are you just looking for an alternative exercise?
    e.g. Weight training or cycling might be more benefit to your running than swimming but swimming could be just a plain alternative cardio exercise but might not improve your running.

Think if your feet hurt the elliptical might be a poor choice, many people find it causes foot discomfort.

Cycling would be a better (no impact) choice for your feet but I'm not a fan of recumbent indoor bikes at all. (Although there must be some exceptions mostly they seem to encourage such a low intensity from the user that the workout is barely beneficial.)

Rowing machine is another option to give you a resistance cardio as a contrast to running.

I don't have access to a pool or a rowing machine; my choice right now is between the recumbent bike and the elliptical.

@DancingMoosie I do also lift and do yoga; I'm specifically looking for which of these two cardio alternatives will best help me increase endurance and cardiovascular/cardiopulmonary strength.
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member

I don't have access to a pool or a rowing machine; my choice right now is between the recumbent bike and the elliptical.

@DancingMoosie I do also lift and do yoga; I'm specifically looking for which of these two cardio alternatives will best help me increase endurance and cardiovascular/cardiopulmonary strength.

Then the one (or both) that allows you to exercise at the appropriate intensity and duration for your training goals without causing recovery conflict (or foot pain). There's probably no particular advantage to either for your heart performance/heart health goals.
    You may find long duration, low intensity (when training for endurance) easier in terms of comfort on the recumbent and higher intensity easier to accomplish on the elliptical so might be a mixture of both rather than either/or.
  • DancingMoosie
    DancingMoosie Posts: 8,613 Member
    ... that's why I said see which one you like. It won't help you much if you hate it. Both exercises are lower impact than running. But if you want to be a better runner, the answer is usually more running. You have to increase gradually.
  • clicketykeys
    clicketykeys Posts: 6,568 Member

Then the one (or both) that allows you to exercise at the appropriate intensity and duration for your training goals without causing recovery conflict (or foot pain). There's probably no particular advantage to either for your heart performance/heart health goals.
    You may find long duration, low intensity (when training for endurance) easier in terms of comfort on the recumbent and higher intensity easier to accomplish on the elliptical so might be a mixture of both rather than either/or.

Good point! The training plan I got from RunDisney suggests running Tuesday/Thursday/Saturday and cross-training on M/W/F, so I could alternate on the elliptical and the recumbent.
    ... that's why I said see which one you like. It won't help you much if you hate it. Both exercises are lower impact than running. But if you want to be a better runner, the answer is usually more running. You have to increase gradually.

I'm pretty good about "stubborning" my way through something I don't like as long as I see the value in it! But I think it does make sense to try them out and compare my own results.
  • GiddyupTim
    GiddyupTim Posts: 2,819 Member
    You're right that you can read on a stationary recumbent bike and cannot on an elliptical.
    Both spare you the pounding that you experience running on the road. I have had plantar fasciitis and Morton's neuromas and all kinds of painful, worn-out-feet problems. I have found that either helps to relieve my feet from the physical trials I put them through, which lets them heal.
    I don't think it matters which one you use. You'll find the one that is more comfortable for you.
    Neither is going to mimic running, however. They'll help you preserve your running conditioning. They are not going to improve it.
    Good luck.
  • emmamcgarity
    emmamcgarity Posts: 1,593 Member
    Another thing to consider is that runners (I.e. me) don’t always get enough lateral movement because so much of the training is from forward movement (running). I’m recovering from a hamstring injury and have incorporated low impact aerobics for cross training to make sure I get the lateral movement. I don’t have a gym membership. I use the Leslie Sansone videos from YouTube.

I’ve also added some strength training using HASfit and Fitness Blender videos from YouTube.

I’m definitely seeing benefits in my recovery, and one of the running coaches mentioned that I am running with better form now.
  • lightenup2016
    lightenup2016 Posts: 1,055 Member
    I’m a runner who supplements with cross training on some non-running days. I like the elliptical because it sort of mimics running, but without the same stress on the legs and joints. I have occasional foot pain from running, and the elliptical doesn’t aggravate it. It will all depend on what it is that’s hurting exactly, but the elliptical is just different enough that I find it helpful.

At the same time, I personally can’t stand stationary biking, so again, the elliptical works for me. With the bike using mostly leg muscles, I find I’m tired running the next day. Same for strength training, which I also do, and I’m still working on tweaking that so that my legs aren’t over-tired when I run after a leg workout.

TL;DR Just try different things out and see for yourself what works for you.