Need Vegetable ideas

Options
2»

Replies

• CharlieBarleyMom
    CharlieBarleyMom Posts: 727 Member
    Options
    I recently found this as "wonderfulness!" - Spaghetti squash (boiled or baked) - then take the "spaghetti" and fry it up in a frying pan (no oil or butter required) and add as much frozen "mixed veggies" as you'd like and get it all nicely heated up... throw some garlic powder on it while its warming up... then plate it and squeeze some deli, horseradish, wasabi, or any other Flavorful mustard next to it and dip it in the mustard! YUM!
  • idabug3
    idabug3 Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    Our son and wife gave us a George Foreman grill for Christmas and I love it. I get fresh picked veggies, almost anything will do and brush them with olive oil , then sprinkle with a little bit of garlic salt and pepper, maybe a little onion powder and I grill them to my favorite consistency. Asparagus is delightful, and after that just toss on a seasoned chicken breast and you have a delicious meal.
  • pixlamarque
    pixlamarque Posts: 312 Member
    Options
    My favorites are:

1) Carrots, yellow squash, and zucchini--cut into long pieces, tossed in a bit of oil and liquid fajita marinade (Claude's is awesome), then grilled or cooked in a cast iron skillet if unable to grill outside. Eat as a side or as a fajita (with or without meat) in a whole wheat tortilla. Great with a squeeze of lime.

2) Roasted root vegetable (usually carrots, beets, and sweet potato)--cut carrots and sweet potato into similar sizes, toss with oil, kosher salt, and pepper, roast in 400 oven (usually about 30 min). Put beets whole in a foil packet tossed with oil, roast at the same time (usually an hour). Peel and chop beets, season if desired. Great as a side mixed all together and I love it on a salad as well.

3) Fresh Brussel sprouts--trim, clean, slice length wise. Cook face down in a lightly oiled pan with chopped shallot or red onion. Add water or veg stock if they get too dry. Once they are browned a bit on the cut side, add veg stock to just cover bottom of pan, add minced garlic, lemon juice, and red pepper flakes if you like, then cover the pan and cook until tender. Don't add too much liquid, you don't want to boil them. You can always add more, you can't take away. Also good with dried cranberry added and a bit of chopped walnut, just go easy on the garlic if you go this route.
  • 321blueeyes
    321blueeyes Posts: 279 Member
    Options
    My faves:

Blasted Broccoli
    Toss broccoli in a bit of olive oil (or use a spray)
    Bake/toast at 400F for 5-6 minutes (I use toaster oven unless already cooking with the oven)
    Toss broccoli in balsamic vinegar. If I am in a salty mood I will use soy sauce instead of vinegar.

I can eat a whole bowl 2+ cups easy!

Sweet Potato Fries (high carb veggie but a tasty snack!)
    Cut sweet potato into steak fry-sized pieces
    Toss in a bit of olive oil
    Season to taste - garlic powder, chili powder, maybe some salt (I like Season-All)
    Bake / toast at 400F for 10-15 minutes (turn pieces halfway thru if using oven, I find no need to turn in toaster oven)
    Sprinkle w/ lime juice - this is the crowning touch that "makes" the meal

Veggie Fritatta / Omelet
    Toss 1-2 cups spinach in a skillet (it will cook down to almost nothing) with a little non-stick spray, a little salt helps it cook down faster
    Add onions, zucchini, cook for a few minutes then add mushrooms (tomatoes would probably be good too but I am allergic)
    Add 1-2 eggs or equivalent amount of egg substitute, scramble them right into the veggies
    Salt/pepper to taste
  • flipsit
    flipsit Posts: 111
    Options
    Mashed swede and potato, season with black pepper.
    Mashed swede and carrot, season with black pepper.
    Baked mushrooms.
    Stir fried veg (almost anything) with soy sauce, served with a drizzle of chilli sauce.
    Cooked beetroot tossed in balsamic vinegar.

I love veggies... mmm...
  • greybeh
    greybeh Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    Saving this!

How do you save this? I want to be able to find this post again too! Many great ideas!
  • idauria
    idauria Posts: 1,037 Member
    Options
    We roast most anything; asparagus, green beans, broccoli, kale, etc. A little olive oil, salt pepper and you're done. Easy and yummy.

This! I love roasting veggies. You can do it with just about anything. I even roast chunks of sweet potatoes or butternut squash and sprinkle cinnamon before baking. So good in the fall!

Another favorite recipe of mine is green beans sauteed with mushrooms and onions. I saute the onions and mushrooms in a pan(you could throw in some garlic too). I microwave one of those steamfresh bags of green beans, drain it well and add it to the pan. So quick and yummy.
  • jem728
    Options
    Green giant valley fresh steamers or birdseye steamfresh. They are in the frozen section. Just heat up and serve. I eat at least one bag a day.

I agree. These are quick and yummy.
  • ddiestler
    ddiestler Posts: 353 Member
    Options
    I love grilled veggies.. Especially grilled portabella mushroom caps.. Take a lg.portabella cap and take the gills out.. marinade with a little bit of olive oil, garlic, and balsamic vinegar..Place on grill until desired doneness.. You can either eat them plain OR.. I add a reduced fat cheese slice, lettuce, and tomato and make a burger out of it.

Another good recipe is portabella pizza.. same thing..take gills out..broil in oven for a few minutes..place sauce and whatever toppings you want along with cheese..return to oven say 400 or so and bake until done.. Pizza without the guilt! Enjoy
  • KyliAnnHobson
    KyliAnnHobson Posts: 551 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • jerber160
    jerber160 Posts: 2,606 Member
    Options
    just found out birds eye single steamer baby brussels sprouts are remarkably dull
  • kristen11joy
    kristen11joy Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    Roasting and grilling!
    This summer, I've been grilling eggplant, zuchini and red peppers for dinner, and then dicing the leftovers with a bit of goat cheese and balsamic vinegar and tossing with salad greens for the next day.
  • jerber160
    Options
    i just added jerber's beans from bethro to data base. it's NOT dietary, but could be adjusted to be more so,, but damn they're yummy. 328 calories per half cup, but only 164 per quarter cup,... that's the serving size i usually eat when I'm craving baked beans and open a can.
  • My1985Freckles
    My1985Freckles Posts: 1,039 Member
    Options
    Sauteed Zuccini and Yellow Squash... Tbsp. of Olive Oil and Minced Garlic.... MmmmmMmmmmm!

And Canned Green Beans with a tbsp. Lemon Juice, Tbsp. Italian Seasoning, and Tbsp. Lemon Pepper..... Yummy!
  • caroltina
    caroltina Posts: 453 Member
    Options
    bump
  • jerber160
    Options
    Saving this!

How do you save this? I want to be able to find this post again too! Many great ideas!
    it should pop up under my topics when you hit community..
  • nancye610
    nancye610 Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    bump
  • chedges9090
    chedges9090 Posts: 208 Member
    Options
    I am not a veggie lover. Wish that would change.. but, not at this time. Anyway, super super easy and quick..
    I microwave veggies (usually broccoli, cauli blend) for about 5 minutes. and then place a Laughing Cow cheese wedge on the top of the veggies and microwave approx 45 seconds. mmm. Laughing cow cheese wedge.. 35 calories.. and there are various flavors :)
  • blondski
    blondski Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    I like roasting asparagus on the grill in a foil pan with a little olive oil and salt!