Metabolism slows with regained weight?

Options
So I lost 50 pounds back in 2016 and I've slowy been gaining it all back and then some. I have been hitting the gym and logging again and I guess I was wondering if losing all that weight then gaining it all back has affected my metabolism at all and if so how to fix it

Replies

• psychod787
    psychod787 Posts: 4,088 Member
    Options
    Uhhh.... it depends on who you ask, what studies you follow, and what model of metabolic adaptation you think is right. Your rmr might not be as predicted for your size, but you do burn more calories the more you weigh. Much like putting on a heavy weighted vest and walking around. There are just too many variables for skeletal muscle efficacy... ect....
  • psychod787
    edited March 2020
    Options
    lgfrie wrote: »
    When it comes to a metabolism changing due to a change in weight, there are only two conclusions that are scientific, meaning tested and fact-based. All the rest is conjecture.

1. With each pound lost, your BMR is reduced by approximately 5 calories, and conversely, with each pound gained, your BMR goes up by ~ 5 calories. The less of "you" there is, the less energy you will consume (calories), and the inverse is also true.

Since TDEE is a function of BMR, your maintenance calories go up/down with your weight, by around 5 calories per pound.

3. As others have commented earlier, eating at a deficit over time can cause lean muscle loss, which can reduce BMR even if/after the weight is regained. This is why resistance training is such a good idea.

That's it. There's no more. The entire corpus of conjecture about "breaking a metabolism", starvation mode, resetting a metabolism, eating more to lose weight faster, set point, etc., is on a continuum of "unproven idea" to "utterly ridiculous".

No such thing as starvation mode, but in multiple studies there is a drop in calorie burns greater than what would be predicted by weight/lean mass lost. Yes, you do gain tdee by weight gain. 5-10 cals a pound. Though does rmr return to what would be predicted post weight gain? Maybe ,maybe not.

** edit ** unfortunately as much as we like to think of ourselves as machines. There are variables that can't be accounted for when dealing with animals.
  • psychod787
    Options
    When it comes to a metabolism changing due to a change in weight, there are only two conclusions that are scientific, meaning tested and fact-based. All the rest is conjecture.

1. With each pound lost, your BMR is reduced by approximately 5 calories, and conversely, with each pound gained, your BMR goes up by ~ 5 calories. The less of "you" there is, the less energy you will consume (calories), and the inverse is also true.

Since TDEE is a function of BMR, your maintenance calories go up/down with your weight, by around 5 calories per pound.

3. As others have commented earlier, eating at a deficit over time can cause lean muscle loss, which can reduce BMR even if/after the weight is regained. This is why resistance training is such a good idea.

That's it. There's no more. The entire corpus of conjecture about "breaking a metabolism", starvation mode, resetting a metabolism, eating more to lose weight faster, set point, etc., is on a continuum of "unproven idea" to "utterly ridiculous".

Though, I will argue the set point idea. There is evidence for a settling range. "Unproven idea"? Sure, but there is evidence for them. Will gladly post some if requested....
  • PAV8888
    PAV8888 Posts: 13,679 Member
    Options
    Settling range, as distinct from set point, may well be a thing as it is defined.

Eat more to lose faster under narrow sets of conditions also seems to be a thing, without violating CICO.
  • psychod787
    Options
    sdavis484 wrote: »
    psychod787 wrote: »

Though, I will argue the set point idea. There is evidence for a settling range. "Unproven idea"? Sure, but there is evidence for them. Will gladly post some if requested....

Last time I posted an article in regards to set point theory, a lot of people got pretty hot under the collar. Watch out.

No fear ma'am... I have my own woo crew. Though more of the evidence based folks here know me. I'm am not a true believer in set point. In settling range, yes. Many things go into settling range. Genetics, lifestyle, highest weight and how long one was at that weight, diet... ect.... many people use the M.S.E. as an example of set point. I think it was interesting, but might not be valid for obese folks since the subjects were lean young males. Though, I do think there are certain changes for people who lose weight. As @PAV8888 talks about in other post. There seems to be a time frame for most people where the body fights back. It might take a year or two, but I think one can have the brain and body except a lower settling range or at least become more comfortable at a lower range.
  • psychod787
    edited March 2020
    Options
    sdavis484 wrote: »

Last time I posted an article in regards to set point theory, a lot of people got pretty hot under the collar. Watch out.

No fear ma'am... I have my own woo crew. Though more of the evidence based folks here know me. I'm am not a true believer in set point. In settling range, yes. Many things go into settling range. Genetics, lifestyle, highest weight and how long one was at that weight, diet... ect.... many people use the M.S.E. as an example of set point. I think it was interesting, but might not be valid for obese folks since the subjects were lean young males. Though, I do think there are certain changes for people who lose weight. As @PAV8888 talks about in other post. There seems to be a time frame for most people where the body fights back. It might take a year or two, but I think one can have the brain and body except a lower settling range or at least become more comfortable at a lower range.

**edit** if I can leave OP with one nugget of advise. DONT WORRY ABOUT WHAT YOU CAN'T CONTROL. So what if your RMR is lower than what would be predicted? It is mostly out of your hands. Outside of eating more protein, fiber, and lifting weights. There is very little a human can do to raise rmr. What you do have control over is, how you choose to live. While CICO is the sole driver of weight change, what you choose to put into your mouth can help control CI. Exercise to increase CO. If weight regain was just about lower "metabolism", then just eat less. Weight regain boils down to dietary adherence mostly. There is an increase in hormones that promote hunger and a decrease in those that promote fullness. By choosing foods that help fill the gap for less calories can be helpful. Live your life OP and dont nearly drive yourself crazy like I did worrying about what a could not control. Peace ma'am.