Bingeing

Options
I searched the topics, it seems all the threads have gone cold... I do great during the week, I have Saturday as my " relaxed " day". The first couple of weeks I did fine. The week before last I felt so boxed in, yet, I had some General Tsao Chicken, I ate on it 3 times. It may have or not have been in my calorie limit. Weekdays, all good. So, this past Saturday, Idk what happened. I am embarrassed to say, I had a 2 egg omelet with mushrooms and spinach and shrimp, quite delicious. I then fixed myself Shrimp Scampi, (probably) 800 Cal, but after that, I had 4 ( four) slices of Louisiana crunch cake, which I had frozen, Dammit, what do I do> What do you do?

Replies

• jimmyhstewart
    jimmyhstewart Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    I have similar binges. Mine usually start with a gin martini, which by itself isn't terrible. But after I crave foods I used to eat and 2 cookies becomes 6, and then just a few more. Or I'll try to not eat a bag of chips by putting a few in a small bowl, but after eating them, I just fill it again. For me, it is stress related and I know I need go do more. But I'm also glad I binge every once in a while, it allows me to get refocused and work harder. @tufntender you are not alone, lots of us go through the same thing.
  • AshleyCesta
    AshleyCesta Posts: 5 Member
    edited March 2020
    Options
    I am a wicked binger...always have been. It's super extreme! But I've had lots of success with weight loss in the past. Now I've come to realize I crave most unhealthy foods when I'm at work, especially if I'm hungover or overtired. I use comfort food to deal with stress and to get through the day...I've also noticed myself turning to it when I'm lonely. Two weeks ago I had 5 great gym days and ate clean all week, but after a weekend bender and 4 or 5 days of excessive binge eating I am now up 8 pounds (that's after it had a few days to wear off).

Incredibly discouraging and frustrating, but Jimmy is right, sometimes it helps motivate you and get you back on track! Somehow I feel like I've regained focus. Trying to get lots of sleep and drink less so when I go to work Monday I start off the whole day and week right with a healthy breakfast and a workout. I'm determined to commit to 5 weeks in the gym and tracking what I eat. I'm sure I'll see some results and you know how addicting that can be!

Push through this rut, sling together a few good eating and exercise days and feel your spirits start to lift back up! Spring is almost here baby!!! We've got a few months to make a real difference before summer!!!!!!

You will thank yourself!!!!
  • jillianash
    jillianash Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    Following this post as I am also a binge eater. Find that I eat a lot late at night, mostly out of boredom. I haven’t been restrictive with my eating for a long time, which has seriously helped me reduce my binging. However the scale is creeping up and I am starting to log again and want to lose weight. However being restrictive has lead me to binge in the past! Anyways I’m just here to see some tips and offer advice if anyone wants it. If anyone wants to add me as a friend or shoot me a message I’m completely open to it!
  • nwoutdoorgrl
    nwoutdoorgrl Posts: 167 Member
    Options
    Binge and emotional eater here. It’s really a struggle and I can relate with how you feel. I have noticed that when I log my food, I binge less. When I don’t log, there’s no accountability and to me, it feels like a free for all, but when I see the foods that I eat in my diary, I have a clearer picture of what I have eaten and I find some motivation to keep within my calorie goals. Don’t get me wrong though - I do still binge and it’s something that I’m working on overcoming. It’s very hard though and I don’t know what exactly to do to stop but I take it one meal/snack at a time and do my best.
  • spence13e
    spence13e Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Yeah... I tend to do this, generally about once a week. Weirdly, well not really weird for me, enough it's usually on Saturdays when I go to church. There's always food. It's the sugar that gets me. We've got too many people that make fabulous food.

Right or wrong, I've found that even when these massive overages on calories happen, it is indeed not the end of the world, I just have to get back on the right track again the next day.
  • elisa123gal
    elisa123gal Posts: 4,306 Member
    Options
    General Tsao Chicken is the most calorie ridden of all Chinese food. I stay away from it when I get a craving for Chinese food. If you have a craving...take control..look at the calories of all the dishes and choose a dish that is at least not the worst. I stopped eating P.F. Changs when a server told me how they double fry almost every dish.. no wonder the calories for one dish is way beyond a daily calorie allowance.

• adotbaby
    adotbaby Posts: 199 Member
    Options
    Binge eating is the hardest thing, it's not like you can give up eating altogether. I struggle with it still, two years in with MFP. Right now, I am doing well. Don't look back at your fails, look ahead to your successes. Each time you honestly track is a win! Let that motivate you to continue winning, you deserve it!