Fixing a broken metabolism

Options
Hey everyone, I recently met with a nutritionist and got my resting metabolic rate tested and needless to say the numbers where not good. I am 19 years old male 5 foot 10 and 155 pounds. I lost a ton of weight by drastically cutting calories which is why my resting metabolic rate is 1270 calories. For comparison the estimated range should be around 1800. Any ideas on how to resolve this. I was given a plan to eat no less than 2500 calories a day. Yes I am active and have incorporated lifting into my regimen. Do you think I will gain a ton of fat?

Replies

• quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,442 Member
    edited March 2020
    Options
    If your metabolism is broken, you'd be dead. ;)

Your RMR is the amount of calories your body burns with pretty much zero daily movement, ie, in a coma. You should definitely be eaten more than that. As a 19 yoa male, you should be eating a lot more than that (barring any undisclosed medical issues).

What are you trying to accomplish? Weight gain? Do you happen to have a history of eating disorders?
  • Jmoney711
    Jmoney711 Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    I just want to have 6 pack abs, that’s been the goal from the get go. I just got to focused on watching the scale numbers drop and I fell under the misconception that if you loose enough weight eventually you will have abs.

As for history of eating disorders, I guess I was very restrictive when loosing my weight. But now I just want to do whatever it takes in order for me to reach my goal which is look lean and strong.
  • quiksylver296
    Options
    I just read through your other post, and you got good info there.

As for abs, you'll probably need to build the ab muscles in addition to losing weight. Just like any other muscle (biceps, traps, whatever), they'll be more visible if you lift heavy, putting them into progressive overload.
  • Jmoney711
    Options
    How much weight should I loose? Do you have an opinion on my caloric intake?
  • quiksylver296
    edited March 2020
    Options
    Jmoney711 wrote: »
    How much weight should I loose? Do you have an opinion on my caloric intake?

None.

I'm no expert, but Scoobyworkshop.com says ~2800 to maintain your current weight. Therefore, 2500 sounds a little low.

btga7bj8pb6p.jpg

Lift heavy, using a proven progressive lifting program and eat at maintenance, if you want visible abs. You're not seeing abs because they aren't developed enough.
  • Jmoney711
    Options
    Thank you so much for the insight, I will do just that and hopefully see some great results. I really appreciate you taking the time to break this down for me, have a great day!