Peanut butter

Options
Cam2426
Cam2426 Posts: 1 Member
Hello everyone
What's the best all around peanut butter to use?

Replies

• puffbrat
    puffbrat Posts: 2,806 Member
    Options
    Use for what? Do you mean which one tastes the best? Which one has the fewest calories?
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    Cam2426 wrote: »
    Hello everyone
    What's the best all around peanut butter to use?

Best in what way?
  • gallicinvasion
    gallicinvasion Posts: 1,015 Member
    Options
    It's all about the taste! I have two different kinds of peanut butter I crave:

1. Everyday all-around favorite: Skippy reduced fat super chunk. They must compensate for the reduced fat by adding some kind of crazy addictive sweetener and more salt or something. It just has a taste I LOVE.
    2. Special treat: That really gritty natural peanut butter you get in bulk at a local farmer's market. Bonus points if it comes in different flavors, like cinnamon, butterscotch, or maple. YUM.
  • Danp
    Danp Posts: 1,561 Member
    Options
    All round PB? Are you saying there are task or situation specific PBs?
  • Luke_rabbit
    Luke_rabbit Posts: 1,031 Member
    Options
    I like the kinds that are just peanuts and salt, like Smuckers Natural.

I used to make a lot of flavored nut butters, that way I could control the ingredients.

Peanuts + cinnamon + raisins
    Peanuts + cocoa powder + mint extract
    Cashews + unsweetened coconut + vanilla
    Etc.
  • ladylaker42
    ladylaker42 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Check out Professor Nutz. It's a low calorie peanut butter that tastes great. I have several friends that are body builders and they turned me onto it. I am not a body builder but working towards weight loss and strength training. I really like this option without adding as many calories.
  • PumpkinSage
    PumpkinSage Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    I like to switch between Justin's peanut butter and Justin's almond butter.
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 33,969 Member
    Options
    For commercial brands in the U.S. I would buy Adams. Ingredients: Peanuts.

These days I buy fresh ground. There is a machine at my local Fred Meyer that grinds the peanuts while you push the button.

If you have Trader Joes, they have a good peanut butter. Ingredients: Peanuts. :)
  • nighthawk584
    nighthawk584 Posts: 1,996 Member
    Options
    I've been a skippy fan all my life. but I also buy cheaper priced HyVee brand (midwest only). It tastes great!
  • Luke_rabbit
    Luke_rabbit Posts: 1,031 Member
    Options
    For commercial brands in the U.S. I would buy Adams. Ingredients: Peanuts.

These days I buy fresh ground. There is a machine at my local Fred Meyer that grinds the peanuts while you push the button.

If you have Trader Joes, they have a good peanut butter. Ingredients: Peanuts. :)

I've found the just peanuts (no salt) brands to be too runny for my preference on sandwiches, but I do like the taste.
  • quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,442 Member
    Options
    Jif Creamy. Chunky tears up my bread.
  • DWBalboa
    DWBalboa Posts: 37,256 Member
    Options
    This was kind of a up ended question. But for me it's Skippy natural peanut butter. No need to stir, no refrigeration required as with some other natural PB's. It taste great and spreads easy, although I mostly just eat it by the heaping spoonfuls.
  • gt0186b
    gt0186b Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    The most important question is are you a smooth or chunky peanut butter person? You can't be both, no one ever is.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,195 Member
    Options
    Sadly, I've decided I like Santa Cruz Organics dark-roasted crunchy.

Why sad? It's one of the high-priced spreads, among peanut butters.

Why like? Darker roasted, very thick, just peanuts and salt (I tried PB without salt & don't enjoy it as much).

I tried various store and name brands of just peanuts/salt PB, found them too runny/oily, or faintly rancid-tasting, or other undesirable features. The result of long experimentation is that this seems to be the right brand for me. I'll keep trying others if I see ones that I haven't tried yet, though.